PDA

View Full Version : A new cast boolit TV show

reloader28
08-30-2011, 09:41 AM
I have no idea where to put this so I'll leave it for the mods.

I dont know why they dont have a cast boolit TV show.
They have every other kind of hunting on there. Theres 15 different shows of "exciting" whitetail tree stand hunting.
Why not a cast boolit show?

Theres getting to be enough casters that it might be a pretty popular show. This week hunting elk with 44mag. Next week buffalo with paper patched 45-110. Then sheep with 30-06 or deer with 30-30. How about hogs? Maybe squirrels with 22 hornet. Maybe do a a couple coyote hunting episodes or the annual BBPD camp and hunt that DK17HMR and the boys do?

Maybe have a 5 or 10 minute section every week on boolit tips (pun not intended). Different alloys, lubes, barrel twists, designs, mold makers, ect.

Surely theres someone here with influence somewhere to get the lead ball rolling. Am I alone in thinking this would be a neat show?

DLCTEX
08-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I would be a fan.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Won't work. The censors will think lead is like Dioxin, Agent Orange, asbestos or something like that. I'd watch though.

Freightman
08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Gee! had me all excited thought there was one! Darn!

Clinebo
08-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Now THAT would be a show I'd watch every week!!! Most of the stuff on now is junk. Outdoor Channel has some shows I watch a lot.

Bret4207
08-30-2011, 06:09 PM
I gotta say I'd be more likely to watch that than a show about guys with beards or another stupid reality show.

looseprojectile
08-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Sponsors like Lee, RCBS, Lyman and boolit/bullet and mould makers.
The Gold prospectors association of America started the Outdoor channel years ago on a shoestring and was entertaining. There has to be millions of cheap suckers like me that would suscribe to at least a weekly show.

Life is good

btroj
08-30-2011, 07:59 PM
TV networks would still screw it up. Look at the gun rags, they have so much fluff in them we should use em as filler with light powder charges.

I will stick with my own reality for shooting, that way I can see and do what interests me!

garym1a2
08-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Nah, it will make it so many people want to cast boolits and than I will never find any wheel weights!

montana_charlie
08-30-2011, 09:11 PM
The show probably do okay until they started running short of material.
Then they would start up shows where the main casting character has to prove that he can cast better bullets using a dipper and a campfire than his overweight, tattoo-covered, eldest son who uses a Lee Pro 4-20 bottom pour turned up all the way to 'nuclear'.

CM

odis
08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
They could have morbidly obese people loosing weight by carrying as many five gallon buckets of wheel weights to my garage as they can. The ones that bring the most zinc get voted off weekly.

buck1
08-30-2011, 11:54 PM
All of the reloading fourms would be experts would beat them to a pulp, whether they were right or not. Every move they made would be nit picked apart.

reloader28
08-31-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
I think it would be great and maybe very popular.[smilie=w: Something new and different for hunters and reloaders to watch for a change.

We would have to somehow make sure that some of you good people here would be involved so things were actually informative and realistic. Something that has information like this forum but on TV and with hunting. Call it THE CAST BOOLIT SHOOTER or THE LEAD SLINGERS or something like that. I mean if we could somehow get a show that would kinda branch off or be an affiliate so to speak of this forum.

It might also make lead hard to get for some like Gary said, but it could open the doors for alotta new people to this fun hobby. I think there is alot that just dont know anything about casting or cast boolits that might try it out. I'm having a ball.

Have the BOOLIT TIPS include different casting methods and making different lubes or differences between hollow point and flat nose hunting boolits too. Maybe some about muzzle loading, bullet swaging and gas check making. It could have a pile of info that is always being asked on here the varying opinions on certain topics.

I dont know, but this has been rolling around in my head for a couple months and I finally decided to see if it would get any interest.

9.3X62AL
08-31-2011, 12:10 AM
If the content resembled the majority of the content here--and stayed on course--the show could succeed. If Hollyweird script pimps move it into "reality show' mode.......fuggetaboutit.

bruce drake
08-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Considering that using lead bullets to hunt in California is illegal, the show would not be able to run in the state on the cable channels...We wouldn't want to subvert the People's Control of the Airwaves... :) just pulling our California buds chains on this one.

Bruce

Clinebo
08-31-2011, 02:27 AM
They could have morbidly obese people loosing weight by carrying as many five gallon buckets of wheel weights to my garage as they can. The ones that bring the most zinc get voted off weekly.

That's funny right there........:lol:

dromia
08-31-2011, 02:31 AM
Don't have a TV or watch the damned things. I'd be unlikely to get one even for a Cast Boolit programme. I just don't think they could make a good enough programme that would have any merit, its all dumb down vacuous faeces, and bloody adverts.

Bret4207
08-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Personally, I don't find any entertainment in watching the hunting shows either. I'll watch 5 minutes of dogs working or duck or predator calling, but when it's Joe Jim Bob and Billy Ray Earl in a blind waiting for "a big 'un" the channel gets turned asap.

cbrick
08-31-2011, 07:41 AM
I agree, the hunting shows ain't much. A half hour show and 20 minutes is commercials then in the last 1-2 minutes of the show they shoot something,

A show on casting? Well, 20 minutes of commercials on casting equipment might, could be interesting but then what? In the last 1-2 minutes a bullet falls from the mold?

Rick

btroj
08-31-2011, 07:57 AM
They would also need to dumb it down to the " is is a lead pot" level. I would likely find the content pretty well lacking. How many shows on "how to tumble lube" who YOU watch? Besides, I can only imagine what the network lawyers would make them wear while smelting or casting. Full respirator? Tyvek suit? Who knows.

I will stick with my own version of reality rather than someone else's version of what my reality should be.

jlchucker
08-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Nah, it will make it so many people want to cast boolits and than I will never find any wheel weights!

I agree!

cajun shooter
08-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Although the largest part of my life has been spent in the swamps and coastal areas of my beautiful home state of Louisiana fishing, frogging,alligator hunting and hunting animals that bear fur. I can't watch many of the cable Saturday outdoors shows. The people board a private plane and fly to the other end of the earth to fly fish a stream that has not seen a person in 50 years. They go to big lodges that have people cater to their every need. They don't clean the fish, as it is prepared by some chef that was flown in. I'm sorry fellas but I nor any people I am friends with live any where close to those levels.

montana_charlie
08-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Besides, I can only imagine what the network lawyers would make them wear while smelting or casting. Full respirator? Tyvek suit? Who knows.
Nah ... they'd just make Chumley do it, in his flip-flops, shorts, and black t-shirt ...

lbaize3
08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
would be watched. Then it could include cast boolits. It would never run out of material if each show went over a several specific cartridges and the ways they can be reloaded. Of course the show would have to evaluate the load by shooting it for accuracy and terminal effect. We could challenge the hunting shows simply by having the show hosts whisper while doing the evaluations...

And the neat thing about it is that would could get the truth about lead and toxic effects out. We could also evaluate reloaded ammo with factory ammo. Shoot, I see all kinda possibilities.

Hardcast416taylor
08-31-2011, 01:29 PM
It only took me a few weeks of watching Outdoor channel shows to have me cancel my subscription to that channel. I would probably watch a casting program for a few weeks to see if it is "Bubba-fied". I may not be the "sharpest knife in the drawer" but the programing that is called entertainment nowadays is insulting, even to a village idiot!Robert

Harter66
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
I think Guns&Ammo used to have a reloading segment.

A dedicated casting show I'd be all in for.

leadman
08-31-2011, 05:06 PM
ShootingUSA had a few segments with the guy from RCBS reloading rifle cartridges and shotgun shells. He seemed to be very knowledgeable and it was interesting.
I think if it was incorporated along with the shooting of same and hunting with boolits there would be enough content to keep it interesting.

Changed cable providers and don't get it any longer.

jakharath
08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
If they randomly picked a gun and a caliber and then went from wheel weights all the way to putting holes in paper that could be interesting. Compare GC and non-GC rounds, test for accuracy and such...

(Especially if it was all done by bikini models.)

HollowPoint
08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
I think it could be done. And I think that even done on a shoe-string budget it wouldn't be any worse than the gun-related reality spoofs that now pollute out airwaves.

Since it would more than likely be aired on one of the niche programing stations I don't see why it wouldn't be feasible.

As for the "lead being toxic" as a reason for such an idea to fail; Well, bullets in general are deadly-toxic if you don't handle them safely or if you happen to get hit by one. That hasn't seemed to deter the airing of that joke of a program called, "Sons Of Guns" or the countless Guns-A-Blazing Shootem-Up shows that are aired on a nightly basis.

I'd watch a cast bullet related show if they included some cutting edge "Thinking Outside The Box" stuff and not just the same old, same old. If that's what I was looking for I'd just as soon come here to re-learn that.

HollowPoint

BLTsandwedge
08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Fun idea! I don't think content would be an issue for a pilot of six episodes or so- but the more specific the content is, the smaller the audience. Casting is a pretty specific topic. The smaller the audience, the less chance that the show would generate ad revenue. No ad revenue, no reason for anyone to capitalize the pilot and ergo, no show.

A TV magazine that featured a wide variety of gun related activities- casting being just one of a series of featued articles- may go further. If there were five articles per episode and all related in topic but aimed at a different demographic, I think the chances of finding article sponsorship would be greater than thrying to sell advertising based on the entire show covering just one topic. Good example- one article about hunting with CBs followed by a travel article featuring hunting destinations. Now there's the potential of having Midway, RCBS, Lyman et al sponsoring the CB hunting article and then resort operators and airlines sponsoring the hunting travel article. Yep, you'd have to tolerate the commercial aspect of it, but again- no ad revenue, no show. I don't have any money to capitalize such a thing but if the travel articles were good and cheap, I could might consider such a thing..............

MikeS
08-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't watch to much TV, and have never seen any outdoors shows, so don't know if there's already a reloading show or not, but if there is, that's where the boolit casting should go, as a small segment of a larger show. Say a 10 minute show within a show, and it could start out with an overview of the equipment needed (sponsered by Lyman, or RCBS, etc.), then go on to showing casting of pistol boolits using 'normal' 2 & 4 cavity moulds (also sponsered by Lyman or RCBS, or Redding), then have another show that show's casting with large capacity moulds of say 6 - 10 boolit capacity (sponsered by Lee of course), then have a show about casting rifle boolits, one showing the differences between using a ladle, or a bottom pour pot, then maybe a show on the various lube methods, then a show specically on using a lube sizer, and showing the different types of lubesizer, then a show on tumble lubing, showing the different lubes that can be tumble lubed (LLA vs Rooster Jacket), and so on. I think as a small show within a show it could actually work. Maybe call it the 'Casting Corner' or something like that.

The biggest problem with having a show about casting would be all the folks that watch it a couple of times, then go out and buy a bunch of wheel weights (driving up the cost for us serious casters) only to leave them sitting uncast as the fad passes. Anytime something gets commercialized it makes things more expensive. Perhaps it's better not to have such a show, as anyone that's serious about casting already has enough resources on the internet that a show is likely to only draw folks that view casting as something of a curiousity, and wind up bringing a lot more folks here (and other websites) that only think they know what they're doing, and telling us how to do it, as their method must be right, after all, they saw it on TV, and everyone knows if it's on TV, it must be the right way!

On a related note, has anyone seen any of the 'Expert Village' videos on Youtube about casting? The guy there does so many things wrong that it's not funny, but he must be right, after all, he's an 'expert'! In one video he's water dropping the boolits, and he has the 5 gallon pail of water at least 6' away from the pot, so no water can get in your pot, then we walks over to the water pail, and drops both the boolits, & the sprues into the water! I don't remember, but I think he was casting in short sleeves without gloves too!

geargnasher
08-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Remember the episode of Mythbusters where they tried to get two musket balls to hit in midair and stick together? Remember all of us that tore them a new one because they couldn't even cast a round, much less wrinkle-free ball from a glowing-hot mould? I hope a show on boolit casting would be better than that, but would it really be?

It might be worth running by a producer somewhere who's looking for content, seems like there's a new show every week on all the "educational" channels, but more and more the content is either solely sex appeal, disgust appeal, or artificial drama appeal. You know the scenario: This week on "Making your own bullets", our expert Busty Hotfox has an emergency operation to repair a broken fingernail, and her jealous boyfriend confronts the shop ballistician with an angry accusation, don't miss an all-new episode Wednesday at 8:00, right after Mounted in Alaska!

Gear

JeffinNZ
08-31-2011, 11:32 PM

HHHMMM. Dunno. How strong is your garage floor. Not worrying about the weight of the lead as much the mass of the 'lead bearers'.

On a serious note though, the networks wouldn't be interested in a bunch of cranks like us. We are the fringe. Further, most of us are so frugal (hence the casting to begin with) we wouldn't buy the sponsors products etc.

The only way to get casting on TV would be as Odis suggested or sweeten it by having black, teenage, pregnant, disabled, phyiscally abused lesbians involved.

reloader28
09-01-2011, 12:58 AM
I like that Jeff^^^^and its true.
I spose most of you guys are right about it not working with todays TV.
I rarely watch TV myself because of the garbage on it. I guess thats why I thought a show with hunting with cast only and casting boolits would be interesting.
I know I would sure watch a show like that tho.
I love casting and using them so much its not funny, in fact its down right serious. In fact its all I use anymore. If I dont shoot my cast boolits in, I dont shoot it.:lovebooli

lukewmtdew
09-01-2011, 01:38 PM
make a youtube webcast....if it gets a good enough following someone will pick it up

TXGunNut
09-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Just told DirectTV to take a hike. Was cutting into my casting, reloading, shooting and forum time. Mebbe I could catch it on the 'net.

Sixgun Symphony
09-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I can see an segment or two on "American Shooter" on the basics of how to cast and swage bullets. But most of the viewing public wants to see either big trophy game or they want to see trick shooting.

22Short
09-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Hmmmm... "Real LeadHeads of xxx County" - They are making a series about people who buy storage lockers. And it is generating a spinoff. Why not watch "Real leadheads of Los Angeles County" and then compare it to the Florida version? Beats the heck out of a bunch of drunk housewives...

colt 357
09-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I would love to see a show like that. beat the heck out of housewives. God how in the h%&^ did they get on tv anyway. were the tinsel fairy when you need her. (housewives vs tinsel fairy how many would tune into that show) But I'm affaid we well be stuck with youtube. Now that is a tought maybe we can start are own show on youtube.

Dannix
09-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Who needs TV when we have entertainment like this forum :mrgreen: