PDA

View Full Version : Welding a bullet sizer?

fatelk
08-27-2011, 09:41 PM
I know; dumb idea, but I don't think there's any other repair so might as well try.

A previous owner of the .401 sizer die for my lube-sizer for some reason turned down part of the top lip above the o-ring groove, so it's thin. Then it got dropped and chipped off a little of it and the lube squeezes out. I thought I'd try a touch of weld to see if I could build it up and grind it down. I'm not the best welder and my welder came from Harbor Freight, but what the heck I'll give it a try- unless anyone has a better idea (besides chucking it and buying a new one, which might happen anyway after I try welding it).:)

gefiltephish
08-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I was a welder for 25yrs. Instead of heating it up, I'd try epoxy. Devcon makes a lot of really good industrial epoxies. Try MSC or Graingers. Otherwise, a TIG welder is the only one I'd attempt it with. You're only going to make a mess with stick or MIG.

koehn,jim
08-27-2011, 10:21 PM
jb weld works pretty good, the tig weld is the way to go or braze it and clean it up. You can maybe do it with your welder if you are patient and careful.

deltaenterprizes
08-27-2011, 10:52 PM
What brand of sizer does the die fit?

geargnasher
08-27-2011, 10:53 PM
I wouldn't even TiG weld it unless I had a lathe with a three jaw chuck to retrue it. Just use epoxy as has been mentioned and file it down to original dimensions.

Gear

bruce drake
08-27-2011, 11:05 PM
just drop Buckshot a PM and have him make you a new one.

His Quality Control and Final Finish is better than what is coming out of Lyman at this point!

Bruce

fatelk
08-28-2011, 02:30 AM
I have a couple of Buckshot's dies, and they are great, just wasn't wanting to spend the money if I didn't have to. .401 is pretty common, probably find a cheap used one if I look around.

I've also used epoxy enough to be about 95% sure it won't work in this instance. The top lip is just too thin and it would break right off.

Brazing is a good idea though, if I knew someone with the tools. I've been thinking about getting one of those little MAPP/oxygen rigs; wonder if they're any good?

Cap'n Morgan
08-28-2011, 03:14 AM
Go ahead and give it a try, worst thing that can happen is you'll ruin an already ruined sizer...

Before you start, place a copper wire or a piece of copper filed roughly to the shape of the o-ring groove, to prevent filling the groove when welding. You'll only need to bridge the gap to support the o-ring from creeping out, since the sealing is done in the bottom of the groove.

Calamity Jake
08-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Silver solder.

Echo
08-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Make a thin(30-40 thousandths) washer to go under the damaged already-thinned lip, & super-glue.

fatelk
08-28-2011, 06:39 PM
Well, I think it worked. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and ideas.

I drove a copper jacket in the top of the bore to protect it from splatter, wrapped an appropriate size piece of copper wire in the O-ring groove , welded and ground, welded and ground. It's not real pretty but looks like it should work just fine. I'll know when I get my new .40 molds and start sizing bullets. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work just fine.

atr
08-28-2011, 06:44 PM
I developed a crack in mine....and brazed it....but that was before I discovered JB Weld...I would recommed trying JB Weld first....

crazy mark
08-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Lynn,
If that don't work get ahold of me. I have a .401 sitting around I think and I don't own no 40 cals.

fatelk
08-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks Mark. If this one doesn't hold up, I'll give you a call.

fatelk
09-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Well, the sizer die seems to work just fine. I wish my new .40 mold worked as good- it's slightly undersized (typical Lee quality). Nothing a little lapping won't fix though.