PDA

View Full Version : Moly Coating Cast Boolits... need your info.

mikeg1005
08-26-2011, 05:35 PM
My friend shoot Bear Creek bullets... and they are nice... minimal smoke compared to my lead stuff.

I'm thinking about trying moly coating my cast boolits... they are for 45acp and I shoot a lot of USPSA so less smoke = good.

Another thing... my mold drops the bullets almost to size, the resizer doesn't do much... I'm thinking I can skip sizing them and be good... Which would save a TON of time.

But for lubing I'd still need to use my lube/sizer... but if I was able to moly coat them... I would get away from this problem.

Been reading around and I'm interesting in finding more info about tumbling them in moly so the moly gets pounded into the bullets... I see people are using slow rotation rock tumblers to do this... it coats them well from teh looks of it.

How do bullets that are moly coated this way shoot??? Is it enough to prevent leading in 45acp??? And what is this I hear about cleaning the bore? I have shot commerical moly through my gun w/o issues, are there certain types that don't work as well?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mike.

runfiverun
08-26-2011, 06:30 PM
get a faster lube/sizer and better lube then you don't gotta worry about it.
my buddy uses the moly coating and he really has to search for a good load.

Echo
08-26-2011, 07:23 PM
A couple of options - Mule Snot works fine @ 45ACP velocities and pressure levels. why not use LLA or 45/45/10? Pretty quick, little hassle.

Or the spendy alternative - buy a Star lube/sizer. It will last forever.

runfiverun
08-26-2011, 09:27 PM
just about forever anyways.
i've rebuilt two and one of them twice, had to have the machinist make a new part the second time.
i bought them both from a commercial caster and used them in my boolit business for 6 years i can't even start to imagine how many boolits they have resized.

blikseme300
08-26-2011, 10:15 PM
+1^^^

You need to lube & size for volume shooting? Get a Star and never look back. I tried all kinds of ways to speed up my reloading, but I never reached a level of time saving that the Star gives me.

I resisted to spend the money until I was gifted a Star and now I wonder, "what was I thinking?" The time saved allows for much more shooting and as a bonus more time with SWMBO.

Bliksem

shotman
08-26-2011, 10:22 PM
take the lube sizer and put on feebay
take the Lee lube and mix one Table spoon of moly in the bottle .. heat in HOT water. will do better than ANY junk you try to put in grooves
the lube sizers are for the guys that still watch black and white TVs and dont use Kroil

leadman
08-26-2011, 10:26 PM
I was into the moly craze awhile back. I coated boolits, including those for the 45 with the Midway kit.
The moly was a partial success. Worked the best when the boolits were lubed with a hard lube in a sizer then coated. This cut down on the smoke and allowed higher velocities without leading.

The moly alone was so-so. Very difficult to find good loads that would not lead.

I think it was Billy Bullets that used to demonstrate the procedure he uses at gun shows. He had a mixture of some type of wax and moly and put them in a tumbler. Almost like tumble lubing.