PDA

View Full Version : computer assistance (help)

gunnut14
08-26-2011, 12:34 PM
I am able to turn it on and weed my way through a few web sites but not much else.

When I first started posting here I put my e-mail address in one of my posts (dumby me) and ever since I have been getting spam e-mails.
This morning it was 31 you have just won the lottery in Benin or you are the long lost relative and your personal data is needed to send you your inheritance.

As of todays count I am 3 trillion 150 million ahead .
How do you stop it?
What program will kill this menagery of crapola?
As I said I am not computer savy and I need help!

gunnut14

colt 357
08-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Not sure how to kill the email spam but when you do get a yahoo mail account its free and give it that one on the web and keep your main email private . then when you start getting the bull s**t mail just close out that email and open a new one. I beleve you can go into setting on your email and turn up your junk mail setting hope someone rings in here that can tell you more. yahoo does have a good junk mail filter and I just delete that one without opening it. good luck.

MtGun44
08-26-2011, 01:21 PM
you may have to change your e-mail address and get the old one made invalid. This may
be inconvenient but should be pretty easy. Call your Internet Service Provider and ask to
change the e-mail address. If you are "Bob_Smith#whatever$$.com", you could
just make it "Bob_Smith278#whatever$$.com" and then guard it a good bit closer. I put the
# sign in to avoid having this grabbed as e-mal addresses, and spamming some poor
slob who might accidentally have that address.

Typically you can have multiple active e-mail addresses for no additional cost from your ISP,
so maybe having one that you use for slightly riskier situations on the net, and then one for
friends only. Also, most ISP's have different levels of spam filtering possible. See if you
can turn this up by yourself, or ask that they turn it up on that account. Abandonment
may be the only way.

Yahoo works too, as recommended above.

Bill

Silver Eagle
08-27-2011, 01:55 AM
I use one email adress for peronal use and another (Yahoo account) for the places that have to have an email address just to get something or register. The personal one I use, and pass out, for friends and trusted sources.
As others have suggested, see if your ISP has a filter you can setup. Also depends on what program you are using to view your email. Most have a spam filter you can setup and use.
One suggestion: It might be a ood idea to download and run "CCleaner" and "Malwarebytes" (Google them for website). These will clean any junkware or malware that has made its way onto your computer.

Silver Eagle

Wayne Smith
08-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Google also offers a free e-mail account. Most of the providers allow you to manage your spam level, you may need to contact your provider to see how if it's not obvious.