PDA

View Full Version : SAECO Lubrisizer Field Expedient Needed

Iron Mike Golf
08-24-2011, 03:10 PM
OK,I thought the room was warm enough to use Carnauba Red without heating and I tore up the neoprene lube seal on my SAECO (black version) lubrisizer. I replaced the worn out leather one with the new style neoprene model.

I called Redding Customer Service and need to send a check to get 3 (spares are a good thing). So, what do I do in the meantime?

Has anyone made their own seal? I am thinking about getting some plumber's sheet rubber from Lowe's. Steady hand and Exacto knife...

Thanks,
Jeff

NoZombies
08-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Or a piece of leather, like it originally had. You upgraded for a reason, but the leather would get you back up and running in the meantime.

Iron Mike Golf
08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
I thought about leather. Rubber sheet is easier to scare up, I think.

NoZombies
08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Might work temporarily, leather would probably hold up better, but we're only talking about a few days for the replacements, no harm in trying

Iron Mike Golf
08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I can still get pressure without the seal. A bunch of lube does blow past the piston, but heat and low pressure will work, with lots of elbow grease. Like you said, only for a few days.

Maybe I have an old belt somehwere....

Powder River Drifter
08-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Same situation happend to me a while back. Went to my local auto parts store and purchased the rubber cups that are in the wheel cylinders for auto brakes. One has to know the inside dimension of the cyinder. If it is a good parts store they should have it, just punch a hole in the center of the rubber cup and be back in business.

Iron Mike Golf
08-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Even easier. ID of the grease tube (Redding's nomenclature) is 1 1/8". Rubber fender washer from the fastener aisle at Lowe's: 3/8" x 1 1/4" x 1/16". Fits snug over the threaded rod, seems to seal OK. It pressurized the air in the grease tube to a point, then the air burped out. Need to cast some boolits and give it a real test. Might not even order the replacement part. This seems to have thicker rubber.