PDA

View Full Version : need barrel for revolver

scrapcan
01-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Looking for a barrel for

Colt Police Positive
32colt new police so needs to be appropriate
this is 1st generation police positive

don't have the serial number but could getit if needed.
have tried Numrich and have sent wrong model several times.

original barrel is split under the front sight. woudl like to return to original configuration. Otherwise it may have to be shortened and have sight put back on. Revolver is is very good shape.

thanks for the help and if more info is needed I can get it.

Bass Ackward
01-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Looking for a barrel for

Colt Police Positive
32colt new police so needs to be appropriate
this is 1st generation police positive

don't have the serial number but could getit if needed.
have tried Numrich and have sent wrong model several times.

original barrel is split under the front sight. woudl like to return to original configuration. Otherwise it may have to be shortened and have sight put back on. Revolver is is very good shape.

thanks for the help and if more info is needed I can get it.

Manley,

Parts are not always handled by the best and brightest. And quite honestly, things can be catagorized under one part number by someone else and the other guy not know that, is trying to help you with bad info.

Why not email them a picture of the gun so that they can see what you need?

Nueces
01-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Manley,

I've got a barrel you can have. 4", S&W-type round sight, marked POLICE POSITIVE 32 POLICE CTG, the POLICE over the POSITIVE and sharing the initial P. Nice shape, nearly new bore with some shallow pitting inside, near the muzzle, as if stored at one time with a patch inside. I've had it a long time and will never use it, so PM me your address and I'll drop it in a padded envelope, or send me your email and I'll use the Chief of Staff's camera to send you some pix.

Merry Christmas, Mark

scrapcan
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Nueces,

I sent you a PM. If your barrel will work we will work a deal.

BA,

Pictures, Have done so and it is frustrating. I am sure even more on their end since they have to have millions of gunparts and some yahoo like me saying it isn't right a couple of times would not make it much easier. If Nueces doesn't have one that will work, I will continue with them until we get it right.

Thanks guys.

scrapcan
01-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Nueces,

Thanks for the help with the barrel. I appreciate your help and generosity. I will keep you updated on the project. Also will see if we can find the parts you need. Have responded in your post under swapping and selling (as you already know, since that post was made earlier)

Jeremy

scrapcan
01-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Here is a picture of the POlice Poistive as it stands. Barrel is on its way and will be fit as soon as i gets here. It is in great shape other than the bulge at the front sight and a split that runs the length of the front sight.

Nueces
01-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Wow, Manley, that's a beauty. The new barrel will put it in shootin' shape and would appear to be an exact match, to boot. Thanks for the photo. It's fun to restore oldies like this, even from a distance.

Mark

Dale53
01-27-2007, 02:00 AM
Folks, here is a generous person. Something that is good to see.

Dale53

Nueces
01-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Dale53. I'm just passing along nice things others have done for me or in my presence. A Con-duit, in other words, rather than a Round-tuit. :mrgreen:

Mark

scrapcan
01-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know how Nueces has helped withthis barrel. We have ordered and sent barrels back 3 times to Numrich, checked 3 other newer model shrouded barrels and had just about decided to shorten and redo sight. Nueces offered a barrel, it arrived and is the exact type needed. generous does not start to express the truth.

Nueces,

The barrel arrived in good shape. It was in the mail box today. Now to get it fit and installed. I am still looking for parts to fit your project.

Thanks a bunch and I will find something to return the favor. Good individuals abound at this site, it is still hard to believe another one has found their way here but I guarantee you are at the top of the heap.

Jeremy

scrapcan
02-05-2007, 11:08 AM
Just an update.

the barrel is the same and finish is very close to the original. Should make a nice setup. Revolter and barrel went to the smith last thursday, hopefully will come back soon. I have three moulds to try once it gets back.

Nueces,
Have you had any luck on finding a cylinder? I am still looking. The gunshop that may have a parts gun is only open a few evenings a week, and it has not matched up with a free evening yet. And I will get those paper copies off to you when I get the original copies back from another interested reader (elderly uncle that needed a little reading material while the cold weather was here).

Jeremy

Nueces
02-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey, Jeremy

Thanks for the update, glad it's going to work. Absolutely no hurry on the copies, and thanks for the offer. I also appreciate your helping to chase my cylinder, but don't feel like you hafta put yourself out. I think it helps just to have more than two eyes looking.

I did hear from the Trader's Den guy, who offered to put me in his search queue (had to look it up), for $5, which I'm going to do. He sent a postcard with the offer, which is his standard procedure, I think. I'll surely post if he finds one for me.

Been traveling this last weekend - went to Memphis to watch #1 daughter on stage. She played Benvolio, Romeo's best buddy, and bloody made Dad cry. Gad. It's quite a feeling to experience one's little ones as being so powerful. Fun, too.

Lookin' forward to getting home, to my highspeed web connection. :-D

Mark

ps - don't toss that old barrel. It could be cut and an old King front ramp hard soldered on. There's a guy selling original King stuff on ebay now.

scrapcan
02-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Nueces,

Not to worry, the old barrel will be stashed in teh keeper box. I had originally thought about bobbing it back and doing exactly as you suggested. Just that now Idon't have to for this little gun.

Will keep you updated.

Also good to see that you are taking in the efforts of your kids. I spent high school and college doing alot of things and my folks were busy raising my little sister and working. They were unable to attend everything except my graduations. Really missed them along the way.

Jeremy

scrapcan
02-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Just and update. Still at the smith but should be out this week. I wish I would have had the frame wrech and did it myself. I try to keep some coin going into our local shop since they are dropping fast. we have two gunshops, one is open 2 evenings and saturday. the other does very little actual smithing.

I have about 1000 311252 boolits waiting to size once I get to slug. They drop at .314 and weigh about 85 grains in my alloy. The silence is deafening.

scrapcan
03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
The little Police positive made it home. I f you did not know the barrel had been changed, it looks like it has never been touched. And the whole thing needs a good cleaning. I have a bunch of cast bullets (311252) lubed and sized, about 200 32 S&WLong cases, 300 32 S&W (for using a ball of buckshot), dies, and well I need to pick up a shell holder.

Tonight I will load some up to shoot this weekend. I should know more in a few days.

Another question what grips will fit this frame? it has the Bakelite grips on it and I am worried about the infamous chip and break on the heel of the grip panels. Would like to get a set of wood grips.

And how about a holster anyone got some ideas? Need a way to carry it while bumming in the outdoors for rabbits, etc..

scrapcan
03-12-2007, 01:24 PM
All is well, gun functioned flawlessly.

Shot 100 rounds of 311252 cast of whell weight and sized at .312" from NEW WW 32 S&W Long brass. Load was 3.1 gr Win 231, Federal SP primer. Don't have oal length at hand, but it was crimped at center of top driving band.

No Leading what so ever. Accuraccy was ok and can be worked on to be better. at 50 feet 100 rounds went just under 8 inches. All shot double action with what seems like a boat anchor of a trigger pull. Center of groups ( two targets with aiming point laid ontop of each other) is about 4 inches low and left. Target on replacement barrel had been set on previous gun (sight tweaked to right), so need to do a little work.

Will work on sight and load to get it to shoot point of aim at some distance, not sure at what distance yet. Just thought the old guy needed to be shot and function tested.

Can not thank Nueces enough for the barrel, it brought the little PP back into service.

dubber123
03-12-2007, 09:29 PM
If you've been casting for a while I'm sure you know that bullet weight can have a big impact on where the bullets land, not only in the vertical but sometimes the horizontal plane too. My old S&W 32 Hand Ejector absolutely loves the RCBS swc. This one weighs right at 100 grains. It might be worth trying some different weights. Good to see the old girl up and shooting again.

scrapcan
03-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Dubber,

No doubt about it, more boolit styles will be tried. will also play with powder. I had a can of 231 sitting on the bench and a rotor for the the Hornady pistol measure. It just happened to be handy.

Have you got any loads to share?

I am using a set of RCBS steel 32 H&R dies and need to come up with a set of carbide or nitride dies. I can see myself and my wife shooting this PP alot. It is a pleasure.

I had helped with a basic handgun class (instructor and line coach) and another instructor was espounding on the vitues of buying a good handgun and taking care of it as he showed off a S&W model 10 that is about 40years old. I had to laugh and show off an olmost hundred year old Colt PP that I just put 120 rounds through.