PDA

View Full Version : SureFire lights

JJC
08-23-2011, 10:17 AM
I had the bulb burn out of my Flash light the other day, It's about four years old. I use it sparingly and for hunting. The bulb was supposed to last 30-35 hours. I had nowhere near that much time on it. I emailed Surefire and asked some questions not looking for anything free. The part is not waranteed but they are sending me one anyways no charge. Figured I would pass that along for thoes who are considering spending alot, or have spent alot of money on a Surefire light. John

P.K.
08-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Glad to hear it, SF's cutomer service is top notch. I have a Defender 6P that has gone through 2 boxes of batteries in the last 2 years or so. I upgraded to the 120 lumens kit so it's hungry but I will never buy another light again. ;-)

wiljen
08-23-2011, 02:57 PM
They make a good product and do a good job of standing behind it, but in fairness when you pay the premium you do for that name on a product, they ought to do those things. I would expect the same from any premium branding.

Ajax
08-23-2011, 03:16 PM
for the price of em they should have mailed ya anew light. I got mine from member here for less than half the price and it rocks.

Andy

Artful
08-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I have several Surefire - always worked well but bulbs do die - LED's are Better - and the one Wiljen made for our group buy is very good.

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2011, 06:33 AM
ive got a surefire that i paid 150 bucks for used on one of my ars. Even at that price it doesnt compare to the lights that wijen made. I could have bought 3 for the price of my used surefire. As a matter of fact some guy was selling a souped up bulb for them on the ar fourm and i paid 35 bucks for one of those! Ill keep my surfire for only one reason. If shtf it would be smart to have a light that used standard batterys as charging might not be an option.

Artful
08-25-2011, 12:22 AM
ive got a surefire that i paid 150 bucks for used on one of my ars. Even at that price it doesnt compare to the lights that wijen made. I could have bought 3 for the price of my used surefire. As a matter of fact some guy was selling a souped up bulb for them on the ar fourm and i paid 35 bucks for one of those! Ill keep my surfire for only one reason. If shtf it would be smart to have a light that used standard batterys as charging might not be an option.

Lloyd, check out power converter for 12v to 120v - I use that in my vehicle to charge those items that don't take disposable batteries.;-)

Lloyd Smale
08-25-2011, 06:56 AM
ive got a couple small generators and a couple inverters Art. My senerio would be one where fuel is dried up. A guy might still salvage batterys from homes or stores. Only problem with them is in a couple years there going to be flat just from sitting and then were back to fire!

wiljen
08-25-2011, 08:40 AM
a small solar panel works too.

Three-Fifty-Seven
08-25-2011, 09:43 AM
a small solar panel works too.

+1 I got one of those, just in case ... Got a couple inverters too!

Lloyd Smale
08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
thats a good idea. I should pick up one to at least charge batterys.

P.K.
08-26-2011, 09:25 PM
thats a good idea. I should pick up one to at least charge batterys.

Here is one for those clowdy days....;-)

http://pedalpowergenerator.com/

Artful
08-26-2011, 09:33 PM
I saw a solar charger at costco the other day - I may have to look into that as well.

Lloyd Smale
08-27-2011, 06:22 AM
my destroyed back just aint letting that happen ;)
Here is one for those clowdy days....;-)

http://pedalpowergenerator.com/

MBTcustom
08-27-2011, 07:27 AM
I was given a Surefire C3 Centurion as a wedding gift. After 5 years of everyday use, the rubber button was getting thin, the clip had broke off, and the rubber ring was gone. I kept looking on surefires website trying to find parts for this overpriced battery suckin' ***:p. Anyways, I finally called them and asked why the dont have any parts listed for their lights? A very nice person asked me what parts I was in need of and I told the person (I cant remember if it was a man or a woman) what I needed. I was asked for my address and then thanked for using their product and to have a nice day. The conversation was over before I realized that they had not once asked for money. The parts showed up a couple of days later and my light was restored to like new condition in a few minutes.
Frankly, its hard to find that kind of service these days.

wiljen
08-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Called RCBS or Dillon lately GoodSteel? I've had very similar experiences with both. Dillon sent me a new hopper for my powder measure that I told them I had dropped. It was 100% my fault and I wasn't even asked to pay shipping. Matter of fact if memory serves, I called and was asked are you still at <Address>? They knew who I was from caller ID, what model I had and the parts were dispatched without even technically having asked for them.

Geraldo
08-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I only had one problem with SF. I had an A2 that needed a new tailcap. I called them and they sent one right out...for an E2e. I called them again, they said keep that tailcap, we'll send you the right one. Another E2e cap arrived. Finally, on the third try I talked to an engineer or something, and he said they didn't have any, but did send the right one eventually. It was just weird that they couldn't figure out their own part numbers.

At the time I bought mine, there wasn't a lot of competition. Now, I'd take my group buy light and never look back. If Wiljen makes an E2e size (hint, hint) I'd be in for a couple of them.

Springfield
08-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Don't Surefire's take wafer type batteries? I'm not sure I would consider them " standard", like maybe AA's, which are everywhere. And can be recharged. I like my Wilgen light better anyway, which is why I have 2 more on order.

wills
08-27-2011, 07:30 PM
I was looking at flashlights recently. There are flashlight enthusiasts who are every bit as enthusiastic over flashlights as we are boolit casting. They have at least one website:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php

There seem to be more of these “tactical” and high performance flashlights than you can shake a stick at too. High intensity LED’s seem to have a life in the neighborhood of 50,000 hours. There are more of them than you could think that run off AA and AAA batteries.
http://www.sunwayman.com/uploadfile/CKEditor/20110319015711111.jpg

http://www.sunwayman.com/uploadfile/CKEditor/20100918175802640.jpg

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/theshorelinemarket_2174_547755189

Lots of them here
http://www.batteryjunction.com

Artful
08-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Don't Surefire's take wafer type batteries? I'm not sure I would consider them " standard", like maybe AA's, which are everywhere. And can be recharged. I like my Wilgen light better anyway, which is why I have 2 more on order.

All my Surefire run on CR123A batteries

wiljen
08-27-2011, 08:16 PM
You just have to be a bit careful in that Cr123a are typically 3 volt. Rcr123a (rechargeables) are usually 3.7V and surefire bulbs/LEDs are set for 6v so using rechargeables will void the warranty and burn bulbs/LEDs/drivers out in some models.

As for Will's comments - yep there are some serious loonies in that world too.

Lloyd Smale
08-28-2011, 07:11 AM
i do notice that light only has a 200 lumen output though
I was looking at flashlights recently. There are flashlight enthusiasts who are every bit as enthusiastic over flashlights as we are boolit casting. They have at least one website:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php

There seem to be more of these “tactical” and high performance flashlights than you can shake a stick at too. High intensity LED’s seem to have a life in the neighborhood of 50,000 hours. There are more of them than you could think that run off AA and AAA batteries.
http://www.sunwayman.com/uploadfile/CKEditor/20110319015711111.jpg

http://www.sunwayman.com/uploadfile/CKEditor/20100918175802640.jpg

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/theshorelinemarket_2174_547755189

Lots of them here
http://www.batteryjunction.com

Geraldo
08-28-2011, 08:36 AM
You just have to be a bit careful in that Cr123a are typically 3 volt. Rcr123a (rechargeables) are usually 3.7V and surefire bulbs/LEDs are set for 6v so using rechargeables will void the warranty and burn bulbs/LEDs/drivers out in some models.

As for Will's comments - yep there are some serious loonies in that world too.

I checked out CPF years ago, but I'm not an electrical engineer so I couldn't understand half of what they say there. My favorite was a guy building overdriven LEDs in Maglite D-cell cases. They took a crapload of batteries and had zero life, but you could signal the space station with it.

wills
08-28-2011, 03:53 PM
i do notice that light only has a 200 lumen output though

Right, thats just a couple of examples of what you can get out of one or two AA or AAA batteries. There are more powerful lights if you want to use the other batteries.

http://www.magnalight.com/images/product/large/46963.jpg
If you need a lot of light, there is 4700 lumens, but it is not cheap.
http://www.magnalight.com/pc-46963-30-hid-flashlight--dual-mode--7000-beam--4700-lumen--3550-watt-hid--handheld-or-mounted.aspx

MBTcustom
08-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Am I the only guy on the planet that cant see as well with LED lights? Seems like everything is black and white, and I cant make out out lines worth a hoot. I love my surefire cause I get some yellows in there as well as a copious amount of light. Everybody pushes their LED lights but no matter how bright they are, I just cant use them for hunting like I do my surefire. Or am I just used to the cheap ones (less than $100)

Artful
08-31-2011, 12:52 AM
goodsteel - I have surefire and LED - the light is different but I don't find any problem with seeing with LED - most don't have as good a throw as incand bulb but life of battery makes up for that.

PatMarlin
08-31-2011, 01:26 AM
How'd I miss the wiljen light? Where did that happen?

Geraldo
08-31-2011, 07:04 AM
How'd I miss the wiljen light? Where did that happen?

Group buy area. I should have bought another one on the second round.

Murphy
08-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Pat,

I just happen to luck out and see the thread about the 2nd one. I've spent a ton on 'Group Buy' items over the years and steer clear out of sheer temptation. I can talk myself into a lot of things I don't need, they're just too cool not to own...my pockets ain't that deep sadly.

I'm plumb fool about a flashlight to begin with. It all started 27 years ago when I was working as a local police officer. Seems since then I've ALWAYS got some sort of a light with me. Even if it's just a keychain type for door opening...etc.

I discovered Surefire lights 5-6 years ago and was amazed. I never sprang for a 'high dolla' one however, just a G2 and I added a 120 Lumen bulb to it. Its been regulated to my bedside light. One of the great thing about the Surefire's is the power, the downside is the batteries. Myself and 2 friends would go in and buy them by the case. Seems the price has near doubled on them since I began using them.

When Wil's light showed up on the forum, I missed the first go around. 850 Lumens?!!! WHOA! Gotta have it at that price! My G2 will be going in my tote bag from now one.

Murphy

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2011, 07:41 AM
I a retired electrical lineman and about 10 years before i retired we started switching all of our mercury vapor dust to dawn and street lights over to sodiums. the merc vapors had the typical yellow light and the sodiums have a white light. Now they preached to us that a 100 watt sodium actaully puts out more useable light then a 175 watt merc vapor. Well some of us called hogwash the first time we saw one in use. Everyone in the US is just used to a yellow ting to everything at night and it just didnt look lit up without it. They had reps from the company selling us the new lights come in and put a demonstration on one night comparing both both standing by the lights looking at differnt objects and riding down a road looking at people trying to cross a street. If anything theres claims of a 100 watt bulb outperforming a 175 were under exaderated. the white light was hands down better for picking out detail. I think you are most likely just like i was. Just a bit old school and your mind said NOPE this just doesnt work.
Am I the only guy on the planet that cant see as well with LED lights? Seems like everything is black and white, and I cant make out out lines worth a hoot. I love my surefire cause I get some yellows in there as well as a copious amount of light. Everybody pushes their LED lights but no matter how bright they are, I just cant use them for hunting like I do my surefire. Or am I just used to the cheap ones (less than $100)

wiljen
08-31-2011, 10:03 AM
What you want is a warm white LED instead of a cool white. They are available and do look a lot more like an incandescent. They typically don't have quite the output of the neutral or cool versions, but they do have a much more familiar look for those who like the old surefire incandescent.

fourarmed
09-02-2011, 04:42 PM
I have one of the Surefires that takes two CR123 batteries, and it is a fine light. But the one I always have in my pocket is a Streamlight Microstream. One LED and one AAA battery. It is a heck of a light, and small enough to have on you all the time. One thing you learn, though: unscrew the cap a couple of turns, or it will come on in your pocket and run the battery down.

wiljen
09-02-2011, 07:59 PM
my pocket light is a Tanke07. A single AA light that fits on a keychain, still puts out 160 lumen and runs long enough that I generally cant remember the last time I changed batteries with any clarity. It also uses lithium cells for a bit more runtime/punch.

It is basically a OEM version of the Fenix LD15

softpoint
09-02-2011, 09:04 PM
I have one of the big M6 surefires. 6 of the 123 batteries power it, came with 2 bulbs, a 250 lumen ,and a 500 lumen. The 500 lumen will eat 6 batteries in about 20 minutes. I can get a LED conversion head for it for about $160, and a three way switch and rechargeable battery pack. It would have 1600 lumens on high with that LED package. I've been trying to decide if it is worth all that money to convert or not. Ihave 2 of the group buy lights from Wiljen.

wiljen
09-03-2011, 10:34 AM
1600 lumen from a single emitter is only possible using an SST-90 emitter at present and will mean that batteries are drained post haste. Xm-L emitters top out just under 1000, SST-50s top at about 1200, and a hard driven SST-90 can top 2800 lumen but is drawing 15 Amps to do it. The other option is to use multiple emitters driven to reasonable levels which conserves battery at the expense of beam quality. A single emitter in a deep reflector is going to give better throw and a cleaner beam than a triple. The triple is going to last longer, generate less heat and have an uglier beam. Just the trade offs you make.

Having said that, the best M6 conversion I've seen was a 3x P7 emitter setup that ran on 3 17670 cells instead of 6 CR 123s. It put out a bit over 2000 lumens.

I wouldn't upgrade the m6 as I like the incan version and quite frankly, I can get a good 3x XML that puts out closer to 2700 lumen for quite a bit less than $160.

softpoint
09-03-2011, 10:23 PM
1600 lumen from a single emitter is only possible using an SST-90 emitter at present and will mean that batteries are drained post haste. Xm-L emitters top out just under 1000, SST-50s top at about 1200, and a hard driven SST-90 can top 2800 lumen but is drawing 15 Amps to do it. The other option is to use multiple emitters driven to reasonable levels which conserves battery at the expense of beam quality. A single emitter in a deep reflector is going to give better throw and a cleaner beam than a triple. The triple is going to last longer, generate less heat and have an uglier beam. Just the trade offs you make.

Having said that, the best M6 conversion I've seen was a 3x P7 emitter setup that ran on 3 17670 cells instead of 6 CR 123s. It put out a bit over 2000 lumens.

I wouldn't upgrade the m6 as I like the incan version and quite frankly, I can get a good 3x XML that puts out closer to 2700 lumen for quite a bit less than $160.
That's kind of what I was thinking. $160 is the price of another light, and I do kind of like the incand. light of the M6. It certainly has a long reaching beam with the 500 lumen bulb and if used sparingly along with another light won't eat batteries too fast.

Lloyd Smale
09-04-2011, 07:58 AM
I want one when is the group buy going to start!!!!!

Having said that, the best M6 conversion I've seen was a 3x P7 emitter setup that ran on 3 17670 cells instead of 6 CR 123s. It put out a bit over 2000 lumens..

wiljen
09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Lloyd,

I have not been ignoring your cry for that light and will likely offer it once the current round of stuff gets done. I have a pretty solid design in hand at this point and know which host works best so should be in a position to do it soon.

softpoint
09-04-2011, 02:07 PM
A different housing than surefire though? Surefire M6 is almost $400, and the cost of conversion?? What would be the estimated cost of such a light?

Lloyd Smale
09-04-2011, 03:19 PM
not trying to bug you pal. Im just looking to see if how much interst there would be in a bigger light that would about cut steal with its beam. Kind of the 500 linebaugh of flashlights! Compact enough to carry around but with plenty of snort.
Lloyd,

I have not been ignoring your cry for that light and will likely offer it once the current round of stuff gets done. I have a pretty solid design in hand at this point and know which host works best so should be in a position to do it soon.

M-Tecs
09-04-2011, 06:53 PM
not trying to bug you pal. Im just looking to see if how much interst there would be in a bigger light that would about cut steal with its beam. Kind of the 500 linebaugh of flashlights! Compact enough to carry around but with plenty of snort.

I'm in!, I'm in!!, I'm in!!! and Oh did I say I'M IN!!!! [smilie=w:[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

inkedbylee
09-19-2011, 11:41 PM
i have used surefires for three trips to the big sand box and have not had anything bad to say about them. I think anyone that needs a good light should look at them made good and worth the $$ if you dont want to try your luck with a low cost flashlight.