PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my K-31 Tuesday. Photos........

Buckshot
06-09-2005, 02:06 AM
.........Looks nice and clean. Bright barrel and good crown. Funny that all the little nooks and crannies, the boltface and magazine etc have quite a bit of unburned ball powder scattered around. Anyway, here tis:

http://www.fototime.com/2D96B837ED8482D/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/11FC79263F6E94C/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/A6FC61B8C458AA2/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/F58DD01573E69AF/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/8203D460AB97993/standard.jpg

I haven't taken it apart yet. Seems to have a nice trigger.

.............Buckshot

brimic
06-10-2005, 03:52 AM
Seems to have a nice trigger.

For a military rifle that would be a gross understatement. [smilie=l:

Nice rifle.

Four Fingers of Death
06-10-2005, 07:06 AM
I hav always fancied one of these and there are a number of good ones for sale in sydney. I need one like I need a hole in the head, but I suppose after these are gone, there will only be clapped out ones available. Thats what happened with the Swedes, they were plntiful, but once they sold out, they are only available in dribs and drabs and are usually shot out.

I often rest my rifles on top of my rockchucker like you did. I must weld a padded clamp to a 7/8 x 14 bolt with a locking nut and see how it goes.

jethrow strait
06-10-2005, 07:38 AM
I think you will like how it shoots even better than it's looks!

Shot mine for the first time yeasterday, and it did not disappoint, even with issue sights and my well-read eyes. Only down side is, with accuracy like that, I will have to slap a scope on it eventually. Anyone recommend a mount??????? The S&K looks good at the moment.

Buckshot, being as edjumakated as you are in such things, I think the only surprise coming your way K31-wise will be the the abruptness of the throat, which really shows on typical short ogive, round-nosed cast boolits.

jethrow

P.S. That .284 Win brass shur works nice, with a minimum of fuss----finally found some, at Lock, Stock and Barrel.

mike in co
06-10-2005, 09:05 AM
GO LOOK HERE...( SCOUT SCOPE MOUNTS)

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm85.showMes sage?topicID=133.topic

I JUST ORDERED ONE EACH FOR MY 91/30 AND K31....

I HAVE NOT TRIED THEM BUT THEY DID LOOK GOOD

45 2.1
06-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Brownells offers the St. Marie clamp on scope mount, pricey but returns to zero also, no modification of rifle either.

jethrow strait
06-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks Mike for mentioning Darrel's scout mount. I got one of his Finn M39 mounts a couple years ago; mighty fine once you got all them brass set screws tightened up. Only problem is he's out, and being a one-man operation, it could be months before he has more, least that was the way it was with M39 mount. Just picked up a Finn 28-30; first one I've seen locally in years, and happily it was marked Russian Mosin and priced accordingly. Hoping that M39 Darrel mount will fit it as well. jethrow

jethrow strait
06-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Saw them mounts in Brownell's, and heard nothing but good things about them, but since I do this stuff for nothing more than my own amusement, I gag at the thought of paying more for the mount than for the rifle.

Heck, I may just go the receiver sight way(aint no milsurp nazi), which I've done with a few of my better shooting Mausers. For the moment, I just rigged up a homemade "jethrow mojo" aperture on the issue rear blade.
jethrow

mike in co
06-10-2005, 08:39 PM
actually he has the mounts in stock...just finished a batch.....

jethrow strait
06-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Mike, if only it were so. Darrell emailed me today saying he had run out---must have mostly been spoken for in advance. So, now the deal is he waits until he gets at least 30 committments, then a 12-16 week wait. Much as I like the guy and his mounts, I think I'll pass facing terms like that.

Heck, I just got the dang thing, maybe I'll just stick with the "jethrow mojo" for now.

Say, where do you shoot up there? Got a couple of sisters who have lived up that way for nearly twenty five years(Aurora and Centennial). Used to visit them a couple times a year, and sometimes shoot at the Aurora Gun Club(?). Kinda wee place though. You must shoot somewhere else.

jethrow

jh45gun
06-11-2005, 08:29 PM
I must have gotten one of the last ones then as I sent in a order on Wed for one and I had the confirmation from him last Mon. Yea that is a long wait but being a one man shop it is understanable I guess. I orded one as his reputation for a darn good product plus I just like Scout set ups. The St Marie is a good setuo but I am a lefty and not sure how well that would work with the scope being offset to the right. Jim

mike in co
06-12-2005, 12:06 AM
i am a member of the aurora gun club...and do shoot there, lots of 100yd shooting, only 4/5 benches at 200, nothing further.
i started MBABR( mil bolt action bench rest) there last year, and currently run the match.
an active shotgun club, ipsic and cowboy club. lots of black powder and some benchrest for score.
yep there is a road off I70 called GUN CLUB ROAD......a big clue..

jethrow strait
06-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Mike, I haven't been up there for nearly two years now. I'm just glad to hear the club is alive and well---thanks in some part, it appears, to your efforts. I would think it a ripe candidate for closure by administrative fiat, being surrounded by suburbia and all. Long live the Aurora Gun Club!

Maybe I'll be able to schedule my next family visit to concide with one of your military bolt gun matches. jethrow

Buckshot
06-13-2005, 05:01 AM
...........This Tuesday I'll be getting the Graf and Son catalog back so I can order the brass and dies for the K-31. It's still leaning against the bench in the shop and I should take it apart and get it cleaned and oiled and ready to shoot. Hopefully Graf will have the brass. If not and it's a couple weeks away I'll wait. If they don't know for sure I'll get the 284 Winchester brass and go from there.

................Buckshot

jh45gun
06-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Buckshot, The 284 brass works good and a person cannot have enough brass around. Jim

Bob S
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Graf's has been out of "their" 7.5 x 55 brass for ages. Last I heard, they were still negotiating with some Euro outfit to get a new supplier. They do still have Norma, which is expensive and not very robust. If you use them only for cast loads, and are carefull with your resizing, you may get a useful life from them. For stiff jacketed loads, doin;t plan on more than 5 reloads. I have a bunch of Norma brass, but I use it exclusively for the M1889: all very low pressure cast loads, and not very many as my current rifle has a bent barrel. (I have another on it's way from Switzerland ...) I use reformed .284's exclusively for the K-31's. (It's ironic that there is still such a demand for .284 brass, considering that only two rifles were made for it in any numbers. Probably 99.9% of the purchasers are reforming it into something else ... 6.5 x 284; 30 x 284, 7.5 x 55, &tc.)

Resp'y,
Bob S.

Four Fingers of Death
06-14-2005, 08:23 AM
GO LOOK HERE...( SCOUT SCOPE MOUNTS)

http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm85.showMes sage?topicID=133.topic

I JUST ORDERED ONE EACH FOR MY 91/30 AND K31....

I HAVE NOT TRIED THEM BUT THEY DID LOOK GOOD

I have bought rifles before because I had a mould at home for that calibre, but I have never bought a rifle just because the scope mount looked so good. Might be a first!

Mick.

jethrow strait
06-14-2005, 09:00 PM
4FN----Sounds like you might be needin a Carl Gustav to go along with that Darrell-mounted K-31. Yeah, no doubt about it, you got the 'fever' just as bad as Bruce, Buckshot y moi! jethrow

45nut
06-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Yeah,I fell into the K-31 trap myself,bought one at the Big-5 in Bend. Not as pretty as Buckshots but this one has a beautiful bore and crown. I expect a lil proper wax and cleaning will go a long ways though. Now to gather the needed sundries and accoutrements. I have some .284 brass on hand already so thats not so big a deal,but which dies? Have any of you used the Lee Collet dies in this cal or a similar cartridge? Pro's~Con's? Just spring for the Pacesetters?
Another winding road to mil-surp satisfaction...maybe a separate category for next years NCBS? Straight Pull rifle?

swheeler
06-20-2005, 12:31 PM
If you shoot any jacketed stuff, WC846 and 150 grainers is a match made in heaven, with the 200 gr Lee 7383 works good as many others do(XMP5744 is another good one)
Scooter

Willbird
06-20-2005, 12:51 PM
I have the two earlier editions of the schmidt's, I keep telling myself I need the third...the middle aged one has been sporterised, and it has a jethro aperature on the rear sight blade.

I have some 284 brass because I use it to neck down to 6x284...funny things is folks also use the 7.5 swiss brass in rifles made for 284 based ctg. when all there was was w-w brass in 284 and norma was avail in the 7.5 swiss

My dad also drummed it home that the 7.5 swiss loaded with smokeless was used by them when the usa still issued the trapdoor and blackpowder loads.

Bill

swheeler
06-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Yup, and that sharp shoulder makes them slow surps burn pretty good too!

jethrow strait
06-20-2005, 08:24 PM
SWheeler, much obliged for the note on surplus powders in the K-31.

I was early into 7383, but haven't used it all that much since I found it best in condom loads in several calibers at c. 90% max. Your post jolted me into an awareness that the time is now, being as I plan on easing into cast with the shooort-throated K-31 and the fact that it just so dang hot here(109 in the shade today)that Alox begins to fail in rifles, til the rains come in mid-July. So, 7.5 Swiss with surplus powder and condoms is it!

Any load range suggestions in either 846 or 7383?

jethrow

swheeler
06-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Jethrow: lot to lot variations in any of these powders can be very large, so start low and work up watching for signs of excessive pressure. With the 7383 I now use only standard primers- when using mag primers ext spreads open way up and pressures rise fast when just switching from standard primers- this powder is EXTREMELY easy to ignite- so with reduced loads use some form of filler to keep the powder positioned(prevent flashover)
150 gr Win power point
OEM LR mag primer
43.0 gr WC846=2610 approching max

200 gr Lee cast-.309 GC+ 1 poly wad
CCI 200 primer
35.0 gr IMR7383 (lot unspecified by supplier)=1820 fp

172 HORN fmjbt moly
CCI 250 primer
57.0 Olin WC860=2103 fps(this same load should be fine with the 200 gr cast) ES were low and accuracy was good

hope this helps
Scooter

Pb head
06-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Yeah,I fell into the K-31 trap myself,bought one at the Big-5 in Bend. Not as pretty as Buckshots but this one has a beautiful bore and crown. I expect a lil proper wax and cleaning will go a long ways though. Now to gather the needed sundries and accoutrements. I have some .284 brass on hand already so thats not so big a deal,but which dies? Have any of you used the Lee Collet dies in this cal or a similar cartridge? Pro's~Con's? Just spring for the Pacesetters?
Another winding road to mil-surp satisfaction...maybe a separate category for next years NCBS? Straight Pull rifle?

I used the pacesetter dies at first but they oversized the brass to the point of getting split necks and the brass growing in length at a fast rate, some only lasted 3-4 loadings and I load light. When Lee came out with the collet dies in the Swiss I didn't waste no time in sending for a set at Midway. I get collet dies for every caliber rifle I have. Best thing since sliced bread, no lube and brass lasts forever. [Hint] If you want a harder bullet pull. chuck the mandrel in a drill and polish it down with emery paper until you get what you want. As far as bores and crowns go every K31 I've seen has had excellent ones along with the best trigger on any military rifle I've ever handled.

Pb head

Four Fingers of Death
06-22-2005, 10:13 AM
I used the pacesetter dies at first but they oversized the brass to the point of getting split necks and the brass growing in length at a fast rate, some only lasted 3-4 loadings and I load light. When Lee came out with the collet dies in the Swiss I didn't waste no time in sending for a set at Midway. I get collet dies for every caliber rifle I have. Best thing since sliced bread, no lube and brass lasts forever. [Hint] If you want a harder bullet pull. chuck the mandrel in a drill and polish it down with emery paper until you get what you want. As far as bores and crowns go every K31 I've seen has had excellent ones along with the best trigger on any military rifle I've ever handled.

Pb head

I have just started using these. I have used Pacesetters (amongst others) with great success. I can't come to grips with the collet dies dead length boolit seater. I suppose I'll get used to it over time. I have bought the deluxe set with the FLS die as well. I have since been thinking about a Redding body die to be used in conjunction with the collet neck die. Anybody had any experience with this? Can I just drill out the neck size part of the fls die (sounds too easy don't it!).

Also trying to decide between a Meecham seated and a Redding seater for my straight cases (38, 44, 375 Win and 45/70), I suppose you could include the 9mm and 38 Stupor as well. Dang whatever I want to do, it costs big bucks.

Mick.

Pb head
06-22-2005, 09:49 PM
I seen something on another site that could explain why I had trouble with FL dies for the Swiss. Seems that the K31's have a little bigger chamber then the 1911 rifle and the dies are sized for the 1911's. It was also mentioned that Redding makes dies for both but you have to ask.

Pb head

alamogunr
06-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Graf's has been out of "their" 7.5 x 55 brass for ages.

Their latest catalog that came in May(I get the dealer catalog because of the C&R) had 7.5 x 55 brass. I think it was Czech(sp?). I got a circular before the catalog came and ordered a good supply. I just bought some Norma virgin(?) on Ebay. Remains to be seen if it is as described.
John

45nut
06-23-2005, 11:22 PM
What are you guys doing for stripper clips? The Big 5 I got my rifle from had not a one.
I saw some advertised in the Shotgun News at Sarco. 10 clips for like $34.95.

Any of you interested if I ask them for a bulk price?

Buckshot
06-23-2005, 11:57 PM
.............AT $3.50 each for strippers, I think I'll do without, thank you very much :-). Now if they were down around $.25 each I'd go for a few of'em.

.................Buckshot

jh45gun
06-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Yea I just push em in my K31 mag just like I do my Mausers and Mosins and they load up just fine. :)

Shepherd2
06-24-2005, 07:50 AM
I've bought most of my K31 chargers (strippers) at gun shows for about $1.00 each. I've seen some a $5.00 also. I think Tennessee Gun Parts has some at 10 for $12 a while ago.

Everybody ought to have at least one just to try out the slickest stripper ever made.

LowPE
06-24-2005, 09:30 AM
I just bought 6 more stipper clips for $5 at a gun show. GP-11 amm was as low as $22 per 60 and as high as $36 depending on the vendor. The supply of K-31's seem to be drying up, as a friend bought the last one at the show for $95 when just 3 months ago there were literally one hundred or more.

C1PNR
06-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Just got an email newsletter from TGP today and they have them in several flavors: one each; 4 each; and (I think) 12 each.

You'll have to check their web site as I'm on a different computer and don't have access to my email.

I did buy one some time ago and I agree, they work slick!

Buckshot
06-27-2005, 09:47 PM
............Faxed Graf and Son and order last night, and then mid morning I called to confirm and/or check to see what might NOT be available on the order. Amongst the goodies and for the 7.5 Swiss was a set of Lee Pacemaker dies (in stock), a collet die for the same (in stock), and a factory crimp die (no got).

Well heck, but I can still make ammo. The Win 284 brass (no got), and naturally no idea about their own 7.5 Swiss brass availability. According to Willy @ Graf's, Winchester will NOT be making any more 284 brass till SOMETIME in 2006. Carumba! But maybe the Graf's 7.5 will come in before then? Didn't even think to ask about Norma brass. Plum fergot.

Called Midway to check for 284 Winchester brass. Nope, all out.

So if anyone should happen to have say 20 cases, new/used, of whatever headstamp, they'd be willing to part with for a price plus shipping, lemme know. I will gratefully fire off some U.S. Federal Reserve IOU's in your direction.

..............Buckshot

StarMetal
06-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Buckshot

Wideners reloading in TN has the Win 284 brass for $17.70 plus shipping.

Joe

Buckshot
06-27-2005, 10:38 PM
Buckshot

Wideners reloading in TN has the Win 284 brass for $17.70 plus shipping.

Joe

.............Thanks Joe. I'll get with them tomorrow! I'll assume that's for possibly 30-50 pieces?

............Buckshot

StarMetal
06-27-2005, 10:43 PM
That's 50 pieces

Joe

jethrow strait
06-27-2005, 11:43 PM
Buckshot, been down this road just a week ago----got 284 Win brass from both Lock Stock & Barrel in Nebraska and Natchez---it's all priced in the $34-36 per hun range. jethrow

StarMetal
06-27-2005, 11:44 PM
Natchez doesn't have it, out of stock like most other places. Lock and stock shows it in stock.

Joe

Buckshot
07-13-2005, 12:54 AM
.............Got my 100 Winchester 284 cases today :D. Now if Graf & Son remembered to ship my stuff Monday I'll also have dies :wink:

.............Buckshot

jh45gun
07-13-2005, 02:35 AM
I got 40 cases (20 of Grafs 7.5x55 that I had picked up and 20 284 cases converted )loaded with my 311407 bullets and 16 grains of 2400. Probably will go to the range on Sat and Shoot to see how it does with my new scout set up on it. Jim

Buckshot
07-21-2005, 02:21 AM
...........The Graf's order arrived last Saturday. I'd ordered the Lee regular 2 die set and a factory crimp die. They sent me the regular Lee die set AND the Lee collet die set. Just can't get good hep these daze!

I prepped the 100 cases today. FL sized in the Lee std die, and they chamber just fine in the K-31. Chamfered the flash hole, and the casenecks. Off the 100 cases after processing most are within a couple thou in length. Have 2 that are much shorter, like .010 & .012".

Tomorrow I'll be sizing up some 311291's to load for shooting next Tuesday.

...............Buckshot