PDA

View Full Version : Anybody whodooed on Ebay lately?

fishnbob
08-22-2011, 04:05 PM
Yesterday I bid on a Lyman 45 Lube/sizer and I had it @ $51.00 with about 5 mins. to go and I went in and set a miximum bid of $56.00 and I set there and watch the countdown 4 min...3min...2min...1min... and then the old 5...4...3...2...1...and bingo the auction is over and I was outbid at $52.00. I lost it! What the
h3ll happened to my max bid of $56.00? Anybody had that happen? I wasn't too peed off 'cause I wanted a RCBS that was going on also but lost interest when it got to $100. I went to a gun show yesterday and found a Lyman 45 that was painted RCBS green and the guy wanted $95 for it and he got a big laugh from me. What makes that stuff so expensive? Is it because people are paying that for it? I can buy a brand new Lyman @ Midway for $145 and a RCBS for $165 and I don't have to clean them up and repair them![smilie=b:

08-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Contact ebay. It may come to naught, but...

Regarding auction sales: Some people have more money than brains. Sunday bidders have even fewer of the former and more of the later.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-22-2011, 06:20 PM
If that was the same one, it came with 3 extra dies,
I bid on that a few days earlier with a max bid of $30.
I forgot all about it til I got the e-mail notice yesterday,
that I missed out and it sold for $51 ???

was that the same one ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190564772232&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:1123

Maybe someone else got the $51 bid just under you,
and/or maybe your Bid never went through ?
I'm just guessing here

no34570
08-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Contact ebay. It may come to naught, but...

Regarding auction sales: Some people have more money than brains. Sunday bidders have even fewer of the former and more of the later.
I agree there,when bidding on something,I set a maximum,that I know what it would be worth to me,I don't go over it.
For example,I was bidding on an old .303 poster,that showed all the Enfield Rifles on it,reserved for $36,I put a maximum bid of $56,cause it was worth it,to me,but I did not win it,it got over the $88 mark and believe it or not,it was on a Sunday. :) :)

Whats the old saying?, "A fool and his money are easily parted" I think that is how it goes?;)

stubshaft
08-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Flea bay dances to it's own tune. I had a Patriot barrel pulled from their site claiming it was against their policies to sell that type of part. YET, three other sellers are selling the exact same part. I sent numerous e-mails inquiring as to why mine was pulled and the others were not and have never received a reply from them.

If you ket your bid confirmation for the item, definitely send them an enquiry.

P.K.
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Whats the old saying?, "A fool and his money are easily parted" I think that is how it goes?;)

That's the easiest way of putting it. E-bay was first on the scene as far as bidding sites go but if you ask me there are a whole bunch of folks that swapped slot machines for the refresh and bid buttons.

I'm in the boat with most of you, set a max and let it go. I watched a "war" go on over an old 12 GA. Lee Loader, at the time it was the only one available and went for close to $80.00!?!?! I just figgered there must have been some collector value because of the adjustable shot dipper and aluminum powder dipper.

Everything being fair in.......I've also "poached" a few things in the past, more like got lucky but still 5 sec. to go and got it.....[smilie=1:

smoked turkey
08-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Flea-bay frustrates me to no end. I try to avoid it but I sometimes wander over there and type in Lyman mold just to see what the "collectors" are buying. What I have to do is establish my max bid ahead of time and just leave the room until later on after bidding is up. I can't and won't try to match wits with someones computer that is set up to place last seconds bids in order to capture the item at the last possible minute. I can't tell you how many items I have missed by less than a dollar. I just have to set a limit as to what I think it is worth to me and be willing to live with the consequences. I still get frustrated from time to time. Keep looking and you will find what you want. The sellers on here are under the sales section are more honest in their descriptions and often the price is some less. A win win situation.

10x
08-23-2011, 01:15 PM
You got snipped.
I do not bid on an ebay item unless it is in the last 5 seconds. I set the price I want to pay (including shipping) and bid that price minus shipping - in the last 5 seconds. If someone wants it worse their reserve bid that is higher than mine will get it.
I make it a point to NOT bid on an item until the last five seconds as well. Why drive the price up?
I tend to win more auctions this way, and I do not pay more than I feel an item is worth.

When an item is bid up to my maximum i will only watch it to see how much it does sell for.

fishnbob
08-23-2011, 06:33 PM
I had a maximum bid price of $56 entered with 4 minutes to go and somebody got it for $52 at the last second. My question is what the h*** happened to my $56 max bid. I had it for $51 when I increased my maximum bid to $56 to cover someone trying to one up me at the last second! And I still got sniped!

Bad Water Bill
08-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Now the SNIPE programs are hitting in the last 2 seconds. I have seen snipes raise the final price of a mould $30.00 in the last 5 seconds because there were that many snipers hiding in the weeds. Sure glad to see there are still some folks with LOTS of money in their accounts.

troyboy
08-23-2011, 07:17 PM
I bid on some tools for my mini lathe from the same guy 2x. Lost the bid both times by .50cents by a different guy but it was the same different guy. Hmmm what are the odds. I was pissed the second time and was going to contact e-bay but the seller contacted me and sold the items for the start bid price. I wonder how many times when you are outbid by a small amount it is somebody bidding for the seller so he gets the price he wants. Lots of mindless bidding on e-bay

mold maker
08-23-2011, 07:23 PM
I seldom win 5% of what I bid on. Don't bid on something just because it is currently cheap. If its something you need, and in the condition you can use, bid your max price, and forget it. Ebay will inform you if your outbid, or win it. Watch the shipping cost before you bid as that is part of the total price.
I too have seen some really crazy prices bid. With some folks it becomes a competition between bidders, while the seller dances, all the way to the bank.

nanuk
08-23-2011, 07:50 PM
I will snipe in the last few seconds, but only up to what I feel it is worth to me

and sometimes I set an early bid limit and walk away

all is fair in an auction.

I've been to several live auctions where I've been the last and only bidder, and the auctioneer has tried for a couple minutes to pull another bid, only to "Pluck one out of thin Air" and sold to "Bob".... no number.. no Bob around.. no one else bidding...

Caveat Emptor!

Down South
08-23-2011, 08:03 PM
I had a maximum bid price of $56 entered with 4 minutes to go and somebody got it for $52 at the last second. My question is what the h*** happened to my $56 max bid. I had it for $51 when I increased my maximum bid to $56 to cover someone trying to one up me at the last second! And I still got sniped!
Sounds like something didn't click just right when you set your max bid or you forgot to hit enter or something. The proxy max bid has always worked for me or I was over bid on my max bid.
Maybe a glitch on Flebay or your glitch, I don't know.

I'm like many who posted on this thread. I never bid on anything until the last few seconds of the auction then I bid no more than I am willing to pay for the item plus shipping.
Sometimes I get the item for less than I was willing to pay for it and other times it goes to folks with more money than sense.

white eagle
08-23-2011, 08:03 PM
fishn
I just bought a lyman 450 here
so as soon as I get it I was going to put my old up for sale
if you want I can save it for you
its used but works fantastic
let me know

P.K.
08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
fishn
I just bought a lyman 450 here
so as soon as I get it I was going to put my old up for sale
if you want I can save it for you
its used but works fantastic
let me know

That's the "Buy it now" option right? :-D

jcwit
08-23-2011, 09:06 PM
E-Bay works like all other auctions, the guy that wants to spend the most wins the auction, only difference I can see is you cannot see the other bidder.

I can't understand why someone gets upset because they loose a bid, the idea is to outbid the other bidders, thats the way it works.

shawnsmc
08-23-2011, 09:17 PM
sometimes you get lucky and someone puts the item in the wrong category. I got a Lyman 45 for $35 shipped last year. I'm sure it was because he put it in the wrong category and the only reason I found it was because I typed in "Lyman 45 sizer". The other thing I hate is when people change their minds and don't want to pay you because all of the sudden they realize how much they overbid.

10x
08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
E-Bay works like all other auctions, the guy that wants to spend the most wins the auction, only difference I can see is you cannot see the other bidder.

I can't understand why someone gets upset because they loose a bid, the idea is to outbid the other bidders, thats the way it works.

Some folks are very competitive. I will only bid the maximum I will pay for a used product.
If you pay too much (more than new price) at an auction then you have paid too much.
When I have sniped at the last second and loose the auction I bask in the knowledge that the guy who did purchase the item paid too much....

gon2shoot
08-24-2011, 06:01 AM
And thats why a lot of us won't go there. Their "anti" posistion convinced me I didn't need to support them.

Chicken Thief
08-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Bid-bots only overbid by the minimum amount.
If you ended up bidding against one then the price will trip up until the end and then the one that got the last bid in gets the spoil, not the highest bidder!

An interesting thing would be if fleabay posponed the closure until 5 after last bid.

shawnsmc
08-24-2011, 06:58 PM
Bid-bots only overbid by the minimum amount.
If you ended up bidding against one then the price will trip up until the end and then the one that got the last bid in gets the spoil, not the highest bidder!

An interesting thing would be if fleabay posponed the closure until 5 after last bid.

I agree, that's why I like gunbroker it keeps going until someone stops bidding. One time I felt jilted on Ebay and ran the bid up over $100 for a .257cal. Lyman mold that is still in production

fishnbob
08-25-2011, 02:16 PM
I agree, that's why I like gunbroker it keeps going until someone stops bidding. One time I felt jilted on Ebay and ran the bid up over $100 for a .257cal. Lyman mold that is still in production

You have more nerve than I do. I would get stuck with it.:roll:

cajun shooter
08-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Troy Boy, You got caught by one of the games played on e-bay that is against the rules but goes on anyway. I have forgotten the name that flea bay gave it. What happens is the seller either has his family or friends who if you notice have only 5 or less buys in a year or all the bids they have ever placed has been with one seller. They try to get you to continue bidding against this fake bidder by him raising the price in $1.00 increments. The tip off that it was a scheme is that less than 6 hours after bidding was over,the seller contacted me. He advised that the winning, bidder never came through with the money so it was available to me as I was the next highest bidder. We all know that you have more than 6 hours to pay for a item. I reported the seller and about 4 months later was sold a defective item. It was a leather stool for about $37. I asked for a refund and was refused by flea bay because I left positive feedback before I made the charge. I was a buying member for over 7 years and they lost my business because of this. I had over 1200 buys. They all suck.

montana_charlie
08-26-2011, 12:08 PM
fishnbob,
Was this the sale that you missed out on?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LYMAN-45-LUBE-SIZER-CAST-BULLETS-SUPER-CLEAN-/200641599588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb72bd864

CM

fishnbob
08-27-2011, 09:47 AM
fishnbob,
Was this the sale that you missed out on?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LYMAN-45-LUBE-SIZER-CAST-BULLETS-SUPER-CLEAN-/200641599588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb72bd864

CM

Yep! That was it. Did you buy it? If so, how did you do it? I need to learn these moves. I'm not out of shape about it, I just don't want to lose something next time that I really want. I wanted to try panlubing first. I have a feeling that I don't need to overproduce lubed boolits. Panlubing might just keep me in stock. I just thought that if I could buy a luber/sizer at the right price, go for it, and I still feel that way. It's not something that I have to have, My shop is full of stuff that I had to have and it's still in the box or used once.8-)

montana_charlie
08-27-2011, 02:21 PM
Yep! That was it. Did you buy it? If so, how did you do it? I need to learn these moves.
No, I didn't buy it. I found it in 'Completed Listings' by using your description of the bidding, and the final price.

Looking at the list of bidders, it can be seen that your bid was never entered. You probably missed the 'Confirm Bid' button (or something) while monitoring the progress of the sale.

It's obvious you were not cheated by a friend/family shill working for the seller.

BTW, anybody interested in t-shirts?
http://www.patriotdepot.com/invest-in-precious-metals-t-shirt/

CM

zxcvbob
08-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I will snipe in the last few seconds, but only up to what I feel it is worth to me

and sometimes I set an early bid limit and walk away

all is fair in an auction.

I've been to several live auctions where I've been the last and only bidder, and the auctioneer has tried for a couple minutes to pull another bid, only to "Pluck one out of thin Air" and sold to "Bob".... no number.. no Bob around.. no one else bidding...

Caveat Emptor!

I will sometimes make a lowball opening bid and then come back at the end of the auction and make my real bid. Or sometimes I wait until the last second (literally) to show my interest. But I refuse to use an automated sniping program (it's not sporting.) If the auction ends at 3:05 AM on a Tuesday morning, I get up at 2:55 and check on it.

It's been years since I've seen any reloading stuff there for decent prices.

GLL
08-27-2011, 02:54 PM
If you check your open bids section it will tell you your current bid amount and your maximum bid amount. It sounds like your maximum bid simply did not register for whatever reason.

Jerry