PDA

View Full Version : Spin Casting

noylj
08-22-2011, 11:09 AM
25 years ago, I expected that we would have home-level spin casting machines and hand casting would be a quaint pastime.
Instead, we are still doing what people did over 100 years ago.

MikeS
08-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I wondered about spin casting too. I guess the rubber moulds used in spin casting aren't accurate enough to make boolit moulds. If it could be done, you could probably spin cast like 20 at a time, that would certainly speed up production!

NoZombies
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Having done spin and vacuum casting in precious metals, I can say that I'd prefer to hand cast my lead bullets. Casting 20 at a time sounds cool, but the set up time is considerably longer. I'll stick with my 4, 6, and 10 cavity molds, thanks!

gray wolf
08-22-2011, 11:22 AM
If you all are talking about centrifugal casting machines like used for Silver and gold,
I don't thing the process will lend it's self to bullet casting.

onondaga
08-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Centrifugal casting is something I have been an instructor on and have many decades of experience. A system could be optimized to utilize reusable molds with multiple cavities. The thermodynamics of alloy temperature, mold temperature and flow direction are not different.

The biggest drawback would be having a sufficient quantity of practical multiple cavity molds that are heated to temperature accurately so that a production run would be possible.

I don't think you could beat somebody that is really good with a 6 cavity molds like our member CowboyT is in his videos.

I have finally ordered my first 6 cavity mold this week and I have been casting boolits since 1957 and precious alloys longer. The particular boolit is only available in 6 cavity molds and I am excited at the prospect of learning something really new for myself.

Gary

williamwaco
08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
I have finally ordered my first 6 cavity mold this week and I have been casting boolits since 1957 and precious alloys longer. The particular boolit is only available in 6 cavity molds and I am excited at the prospect of learning something really new for myself.

Gary

You are going to love that inline 6 cylinder.

When you get it perculating, the bullets will fall like rain drops.

geargnasher
08-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Gary, don't forget to "Leement" it and preheat the dickens out of it so you don't try to cut a cold sprue and break the cam handle! You'll love it, and it takes an old hand about five pours to get the hang of the quick cadence: "blip, blip, blip, blip, blip, blip, snick, flick, tap, thppppppt" and six more beauties lay cooling on the towel.

If you don't use a hotplate or the range on your oven for preheating, you might consider trying it with the six-banger, the aluminum sprue plate and heavy blocks suck up a lot of heat initially.

Gear

docone31
08-22-2011, 09:50 PM
They had spin casting machines in the Civil War. It became a team effort essentially.
The machine was in a tripod, it had an hand crank affair.
It had molds on the inside of a wheel, with the fill on the inside.
I have actually seen one at the Springfield museum in Sprinfield Ma. I think, if memory serves me, it was mostly for the .50/70. I am not sure though. It meant little at the time.
I remember that, and the stock duplicator they had.
Cool beans.
Crank out a lot of lead that way.

onondaga
08-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Oh, I will check it over. Thanks. Check your PMs

Gary