PDA

View Full Version : Primer Cost increase = 13%

kywoodwrkr
01-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Talked with the folks I buy primers from today to ascertain price stability through January.
Bottom line is they are expecting a 13% increase at their level.
They are honoring their prices on what they still have but new prices will reflect cost increase.
And they are out of Remington and CCI having only Winchester left.
Local retailers are going crazy like the time when there weren't going to be anymore ever!:roll:
13% increase is enough reason for me to stock up however.
FWIW
DaveP

Boz330
01-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Dave, Where do you get yours from? I've been using Powder Valley but haven't gotten any in a few years but supply is dwindling.
BTW I'm up in Bardstown not to far from you.

Bob

Ricochet
01-22-2007, 10:45 PM
A month or two ago when I bought all those CCI #34 primers from Wideners, they told me their suppliers were planning to raise prices by just this much at just about this time. That was all the primers I could get away with buying at the time, though. Price was too good to pass up. So I'm well covered on the large rifle front, at least.

Dale53
01-23-2007, 01:40 AM
As a result of "your all's" price complaints, I checked my stock. I nearly had a stroke. I have NO large pistol primers. I still don't know how that happened. I normally buy 5000, minimum, when I do and I can't figure how I ran out and didn't realize it. I had several thousand small pistol, and entirely too many large rifle magnums (federal 215's), plenty of Match Small Rifle primers, but NO LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS. I called my supplier and placed an immediate order.

Thanks for the "heads up".
Dale53

XBT
01-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I got caught short in “The Great Primer Scare” some years ago. Primers were scarce and expensive; some stores around here had none in stock and others were limiting sales to two hundred per customer. I have taken steps to assure that it will never happen to me again.

Bass Ackward
01-23-2007, 12:08 PM
I had some spare time, so I just made an inventory check. I have pretty much everything on hand, but was lower than I wanted to be on standard pistol primers.

Shortage?

I started to call around and it's amazing how many places are out of primers altogether. Forget price. I mean out. Period. One place told me that they have been on back log on most brands since June. Even a lot of the volume houses are out. Midway has low stock. Powder Valley hasn't been able to get any Remington's (get this) since 2005. So I panicked.

I just located a store that is pretty slow on reloading supplies. They had only one brick of Remington 2 1/2s at 19.00 and one case of Federal 150s left and I bought it for $84. Said they would be ordering more at the end of the month. :grin: God bless them, and hope they come in.

Sorry. I guess that I just added to the shortage.

felix
01-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Primer size: Please compare the feel of a winchester primer compared to another in terms of cartridge fit. Pistol and rifle, non-magnums. Width and length. Which one feels fatter? Which one feels taller? ... felix

kywoodwrkr
01-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Bob,
I drive through Bardstown every once in a while, like when there is a train derailment and fire!:roll:
Like just last week.
Sent you a PM.
What quadrant of Bardstown do you reside in?
Friend works at 84 Lumber there, north east quadrant.
Good to 'hear' from you.
DaveP

walltube
01-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Primer size: Please compare the feel of a winchester primer compared to another in terms of cartridge fit. Pistol and rifle, non-magnums. Width and length. Which one feels fatter? Which one feels taller? ... felix

Felix,

What is the point of your question? I have bought Federal primers of late as space and finances allow.

Should I make a Novena or something ???

Yrs. Trly.

Harold

drinks
01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Felix;
I have used Win. primers for at least 30 years, had no problems, just got some CCI old stock cheap, takes at least twice as much pressure to seat with my little Lee hand primer tool, they mike .001 larger than the Win.

kywoodwrkr
01-23-2007, 09:57 PM
I like that.:-D
I just got through priming a bunch of various manufacture based cases with Winchester primers.
Was actually very satisfied with the seating process.
Much better than some of the CCIs I had actually.
I fell good enough about it to buy a few.
Cases that is.
DaveP

walltube
01-23-2007, 11:45 PM
I like that.:-D
I just got through priming a bunch of various manufacture based cases with Winchester primers.
Was actually very satisfied with the seating process.
Much better than some of the CCIs I had actually.
I fell good enough about it to buy a few.
Cases that is.
DaveP

After reading Felix' post and the preceeding gloomy reports of primer price increases, my sometimes pessimistic nature conjured visions of ill fitting sparkers to contend with too. By G-D I haven't even rolled one round of ammo of my own hand in over 18 months and the stuff in need has slipped in quality?? Oh say it ain't so!!

DaveP, tell me more happy stories. :)

Yrs.Tly.

W'tube

felix
01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah, the point is to see what primers are the toughest to seat, and the least to seat. In other words, what primers to use with what cases? I have cases that are expanded to say the least, and some which are quite new. They both could use their seperate primers. So far, in 30-30 cases, fairly new, the fattest are the CCI's, then Fed, and then Rem. All are large rifles. The CCIs and Feds both seat the same height, and the Rems actually stick out a little without undue force in seating. Now, where do the WW large pistols fit in this equation? ... felix

Catshooter
01-24-2007, 12:07 AM
I well recall the primer shortage of what, '92 or 3? I thought it was because Clinton asked the primer companies if they could make a primer with a one year shelf life. They went from $8.50 a thou to $65 in about three months. I was pleased that I had just stocked up! One of the few times that my timing was good!

Normally with this price escalation I would advise against stocking up (buy low, sell high). But these aren't normal times as I see an avalanche of Democrats coming. I recall the Brady 2 bill which had a 10,000% tax on ammo.

This is the biggest driver for me to get these Group Buy moulds that I want done. Otherwise, I'm not nearly stupid enough to run this many GBs!

I hate buying at such high prices, but I'd really hatemissing the oppertunity. I'd rather have the goodies than the money.

Cat

walltube
01-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Felix,

As I precariously attempt to decipher your answer: certain primers as you have listed will seat with more effort and differing depth will gain or lose what with a given case?

I am at your mercy.

Harold

Dale53
01-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Traditionally, some OEM primers are slightly smaller in size than primers that were made for handloaders (e.g. CCI). The idea is that reloaded cases, after several uses, tend to get a bit "loose".

However, that can work against you. Years ago I had a Star Reloading press. It loaded really good ammo. However, using one of the larger primers, like CCI, would often "jam" the Star. The only way to clear it was a twenty minute "take down operation". It could be really frustrating. My main supplier was a rather large custom loader (local operation). He, to avoid problems in his automatic machinery, used CCI OEM primers that were not available to the general public. Yep, they were as small as the original equipment primers, like Winchesters. I, for a long time, used those CCI primers labeled "OEM". Unfortunately, I no longer have that option (the supplier has retired).

The problem is not all of us are as blessed as I am with a supply of different manufacturers. Sometimes, we just have to make do with what we have available. I suggest, when possible, to try a small amount of primers with their equipment and when we find what works best for US, to lay in a relatively large supply. This, of course, mandates proper storage. If you do not know what this means, write your manufacturer and he will be glad to give you a "heads up". In general, what I mean, is cool and dry. A basement, that is climate controlled (air conditioned and humidity controled in summer and central heat in winter) is a good suggestion. An attic that is subject to high heat and high humidity, is not...

FWIW
Dale53

Bubba w/a 45/70
01-24-2007, 03:03 AM
Things are not that bad here. I can still pick up Win primers for that <$25/1,000 price range. One just has to look around and buy them.

Ricochet
01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
This morning CCI #34 went on sale for $59.49 for a sleeve of 5000 (phone orders only) at Graf's.

georgeld
01-25-2007, 02:33 AM
That sounds like a good enough price.

Maybe I should run a close inventory to make sure there's not any particular size I'm short on.

Fellow on a/r was asked to help dispose of his neighbors supplies last summer. Had 15k CCI's, mostly SP's & SR's. His offer was $10/k delivered.

You betcha!!

Only had about 9000 mixed on hand at the time.

I'd do it again IF the offer came along.