PDA

View Full Version : Sqeezing the mold handles

jcwit
08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
I've casted for decads, but saw this on another forum and have no knowledge of this.

Does squeezing the mold handles tighter or not so tight change the size of the bullet.

Just wondering?????????????????????

leftiye
08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
It can. It depends on whether or not your mold will close all the way without force (and stay that way without force). Usually a little experience trying to cast with a mold will tell you what the case is. Or, just hold the crack between the mold halves up to the light and see if it is closed or not, whether it closes with pressure or not, and whether or not it comes open again when pressure is released.

A correct mold closes tight, and stays closed without pressure. Since you can't be sure to be applying uniform and sufficient pressure; a mold that springs open cannot be relied upon to cast uniform size/weight boolits. A mold that will not close probly will not cast round boolits.

HangFireW8
08-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Consistency is key. It is hard to be consistent with a tight hold, as your hands tire throughout the casting session. A snug hold is good enough, and easier to maintain from beginning to end.

jcwit
08-21-2011, 10:26 PM
OK, this is what I sorta surmised, as ling as the mold halves mate correctly.

As I stated in my orginal post that I had no knowledge of this, as to squeezind the handles harder to obtain a smaller bullet, but then there are still things that even I have not heard of.

44man
08-22-2011, 10:05 AM
OK, this is what I sorta surmised, as ling as the mold halves mate correctly.

As I stated in my orginal post that I had no knowledge of this, as to squeezind the handles harder to obtain a smaller bullet, but then there are still things that even I have not heard of.
True, just close and hold firm. You can't compress the blocks but if you get some lead between them it will make boolits larger.
Cast CLEAN!