PDA

View Full Version : Frank Marshall was on the money! Old is gold!

smokem
08-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Hey all;
I recently acquired a 1947 vintage 94 Win in 32 Win spl. I got the bug to cast my own, and obtained a Ranchdog .321 mold that drops a 170 grain FN GC bullet; and .321 sizer from Lee.
I was having a heck of a time getting any kind of groups at 100 yds, or even 50 yards!
Then I remembered a gentleman I met years ago in one of the gunclubs I frequent
(Fairfax R&G Club, Manassas, VA), named Frank Marshall. He was big into cast bullet shooting, and I heard he wrote many articles for the Fouling Shot magazine.
Shortly afer that he passed. I was fortunate to buy some of his rifles and reloading equipment.
I remembered he stated he liked the 32 Win Spl, due to longer twist than the 30-30, but he shot both of them well. One article stated that he liked 30 grains of 4350 behind the 170 grain flat nose for hunting. So, I loaded some up, and hoped for the best.
Well, Mr. Marshall knew his stuff! I shot 5 shots at 100 yds. into a 2 1/4 inch !
I shot another 5 and got same results! That is now my standard load for the 32 Win Spl! It shoots so good in that old 32 Win Spl!
New is good but old is gold! If you use this load, remember a great old boolitier
who knew his stuff, and wrote about it!
Best to all;
smokem

Nrut
08-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Smokem,
I surely missed Frank Marshalls articles in the Fouling Shot..
It seemed like the Fouling Shot turned into a cast bullet bench rest paper after his passing so I dropped my subscription..
Oh and thanks for the 4350 load data on the .32 Special..
One of these days I will get a receiver site mounted on mine and do some more load testing..

Bret4207
08-21-2011, 06:31 PM
The collected works of Uncle Frank Marshall are, or were, available from the CBA for $10.00 or so in CD form. You gotta get it!

BTW- it was my idea to offer them, so yes, you can thank me. Cash works nicely as a thank you gift.....

Bret4207
08-21-2011, 06:32 PM
Huh, the CBA website seems to be permanently down????

Bob Krack
08-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey Smokem,

Are you saying 2 and 1/4 inches or ? what does 2 / 4 mean.

Not being a nit-picker, I DO assume you mean 2-1/4 but I'm not sure.

Bob

Edit: the 2-1/4 inch group is not bad at all for a lever action hunting rifle. Good job.

HangFireW8
08-21-2011, 08:32 PM

It's working OK for me (from here, at this moment.)

-HF

curiousgeorge
08-21-2011, 09:36 PM
I also missed Frank Marshall and thought that the old Fouling Shot was a great publication.

I dropped my subscription when it became the cast bullet bench resters.

Bret - thanks for the tip on the Frank Marshall CD. I will have one of those as soon as I can get on their web site.

smokem
08-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Two and a quarter MARVELOUS inches! I must have had a grin a mile wide on my face when I saw that group!
Regards;
smokem

Junior1942
08-22-2011, 07:02 AM
Guys the *Fouling Shot* is worth the CBA membership cost just for the detailed match data in the last few pages. An occasional good article is icing on the cake. In other words, please re-subscribe!

I also miss the articles of Frank Marshall in the *Fouling Shot*. Just like I miss the articles of Skeeter Skelton in *Shooting Times*.

Jack Stanley
08-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I dearly enjoyed the way that Frank Marshall wrote his information , I put his method right up there with Skelton , Jim Carmichel an Patrick McManus . I enjoy how authors like that can inform and entertain while drawing a picture in your mind with their writing .

I have issues of the Fouling shot from when all they used to hold it together was a staple . One of those issues Frank is doing load development with Red Dot powder and Taurus swaged bullets . I think my stack of Fouling shot is a couple feet tall and I still go back to read his articles . Now that I'm retired I could join the CBA again and do benchrest again , it just doesn't seem to be me though . So , I'll continue to take the milsurps to the gravel pit or the back yard and blast rocks and stumps as needed . ( and the unlucky woodchuck that gets in the way of the bullets ) [smilie=1:

Jack

Junior1942
08-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Jack, the military match/load data in the back of the *Fouling Shot* ought to be right down your alley.

dualsport
08-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Someone reading this thread might get the impression The Fouling Shot is all about BR shooting. It's not. Lots of variety and old gun/milsurp articles, handguns too. They do emphasize accuracy in general, which is what most of us shoot for. I always look forward to getting my TFS.

gnoahhh
08-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I too met Frank around 30 years ago. Helluva nice guy. His articles on hunting with the .30/30 were/are the best advise on the subject as far as I'm concerned. Didn't he prefer a Savage 340 for his .30/30 "woods loafing" gun?

Canuck Bob
08-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I owned a 340 years ago, traded it on my 444 which still sits in the safe.

It was a dandy gun and surprisingly accurate with factory sights and 18 year old eyes.

Suo Gan
08-24-2011, 07:18 PM

I cannot get it to come up either.

runfiverun
08-24-2011, 07:50 PM
pops right up for me now.
i had to search it on the google or whatever, using a search engine. then click on it to come up for me.
the favorites thing didn't work, so i just re-saved it.
they may have changed i.p. addresses.

Bret4207
08-25-2011, 09:24 AM
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/merch/index.php?crn=206&rn=318&action=show_detail

Speaking Frankly - Collection of Writings By Frank Marshall - USA Customers
This CD represents the writings of Frank Marshall as published in the Fouling Shot Journal #'s 18 - 112. The Fouling Shot Journal is the official publication of The Cast Bullet Association and the "Speaking Frankly" articles submitted by Frank Marshall have been and will be some of the finest and most revered articles ever. A must have for any Cast Bullet aficionado. For USA Customers Only!

$15.00 and worth every cent.

TCFAN
08-25-2011, 01:11 PM
I bought the CD about a year ago. Very good reading. I printed the CD out and put all of the articles in a 3 ring binder. I am reading them for the third time now.

Bret thank you for getting these articles put on a CD for everyone to enjoy................Terry

Bret4207
08-25-2011, 07:54 PM
You're very welcome Terry. I'm glad they did it because I couldn't afford all the back issues!

alamogunr
08-26-2011, 12:20 AM
I got the CD about a year or so ago. Best $15 I have spent in a long time. I bought the back issues a few years before I retired. That was also money well spent. I go back and look at those issues from time to time.

I remember reading the article by Frank Marshall when he referred to a lever action rifle as an Appalachian Assault Rifle. Stuff like that was in every article.

Jack Stanley
08-26-2011, 08:18 AM
[QUOTEI remember reading the article by Frank Marshall when he referred to a lever action rifle as an Appalachian Assault Rifle. Stuff like that was in every article.[/QUOTE]

That was the kind of humor I enjoyed in his articles , perhaps there are writers in the publication that do as well these days . I doubt I'll find out because since I retired I tend to shoot more and read less .... unless the reading is on this forum of course .

Jack :cbpour:

Char-Gar
08-26-2011, 01:04 PM
CBA is very much up and running and I re-uped last week. I am going to have to get that CD.

Oh yes..a rifle made in 1947 is not old, because I was made before that.

MKastning
08-26-2011, 05:38 PM
You will enjoy the CD. I have it, and only wish it was in book form. It would make reading it constantly that much easier without sitting at the computer.

I am also a vote in favor of the fouling shot subscription for the Military match data too. It is fun to compare scores and data for the military rifles across the country and see how well the "seasoned" rifles shoot. I shoot in some of the matches in IA and SD so I even get to see my name in the paper once in a while. :smile:

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Marshall but through his articles I feel like we could have been friends. His writings are a hoot!

:lovebooli

fivegunner
08-26-2011, 06:15 PM
I miss Frank Marshall very much, I learned alot from him, Jack Stanley said it best! thats the way I feel about him:bigsmyl2::cbpour: