PDA

View Full Version : My new to me Ruger Old Army

Fishman
08-20-2011, 10:19 PM
I just picked this up a couple days ago. It was made in 1973, the second year of production. The only thing missing was the nipple wrench, but the manilla envelope was still in the box. It had a note on it that the bore was .452, which I thought was interesting since the instructions say to use .457 pure lead balls. Other than a couple of scratches from a previous ham-handed owner getting the percussion caps off, it is in really nice shape with no external wear at all.

So what are all you ROA owners using for boolits? I'm thinking about getting the Lee .457 round ball mould, but I wonder if something like a 200 gr .454 boolit intended for the 45 colt might work? I have a 255 gr mould for the colt already.

I've shot and hunted with traditional and in-line muzzleloaders enough to feel like I know what I'm doing with them. This is my first black powder revolver and I am excited! So any tips and tricks would be much appreciated. I am thinking about getting a loading stand for the cylinder and wonder if it is worth it.

uscra112
08-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Niiiiice !

A round ball has to be large enough to be a press fit in the chambers when you load it. Otherwise you will get chain fires. That's the conventional wisdom. Never tested for it myself.

And I've never gone beyond round balls in mine, but there's at least one Lee mold 456-330-1R that I have which is supposed to be good in them. Haven't tried it yet.

Ed Harris wrote about using a R.E.A.L. boolit, but I've never found out which one.

Check out this URL: http://www.icehouse.net/fgrig/gun/OLDARMY.txt

dualsport
08-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Good score! Lee has both the molds you need, a .457 roundball and a conical that is made especially for the ROA. With those two you can do about anything within reason. I cast mine with pure lead. A pistol stand makes it very easy to reload without pulling the cylinder. Doesn't have to be fancy. I use a lot of 3f in mine topped with a little cornmeal then the ball and then some Crisco over the ball. Seals it up and keeps fouling soft. They are extremely accurate guns when you find a good combo.

Baja_Traveler
08-20-2011, 11:10 PM
I've been using the LEE #90390 R.E.A.L. boolit. Its 200 grains over a wonder wad & pyrodex. It shoots great groups, but with the rear sight all the way down, still 6" high at 25 yards. From what I understand round ball shoots lower in these guns. It's common to replace the front sight with a taller one to help solve the problem. They use the same front blade as the Blackhawks.

John Taylor
08-21-2011, 02:31 PM
A few things you might try.
45 ACP cast bullets loaded backwards, makes a wad cutter.
Mine did best with full loads of 2F and round ball.
For paper punching,Round ball and about 15 grains of powder and corn meal on top of the powder to take up space. The corn meal keeps the ball close to the rifling and keeps the bore cleaner.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-21-2011, 03:40 PM
for round ball, I use the 457 and it squeezes into the chamber just perfect leaving
a tiny ring of lead to fall to the ground.
the chamber will hold about 40 gr. of BP (volume),
typically 20gr. will give you the best accuracy.
so I use a 20 gr. dipper and load 20 gr. of BP and top
that with 20 gr. corn meal then the ball.
I also lube the end of the cylinder over the top of the ball
to seal the chamber and help guarentee no cross fire.
Jon

stubshaft
08-21-2011, 04:07 PM
I use a 457" ball with 28grs of T7. I have shot the Lee conical and gotten pretty good accuracy with the same charge but had to get a taller front sight blade. The difference in impact at 25yds was 6". Not a big problem in changing it as I shoot a SS version and just have to drive out the pin. I don't know if you can do the same in the blued versions because the blade and base is one unit. I usually put lube in front of the ball to soften fouling (crisco with some ivory soap to stiffen it up a little). Cross firing has been shown to come from flame propagation at the rear of the cylinder, usually due to ill fitting caps.

DLCTEX
08-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I have loaded 454 boolits in mine and they do well if started straight in the chamber. Otherwise they will "walk" under recoil. It's hard to beat the round ball for accuracy. I have planned to take a deer with it using the 454-255 SWC but each year other things get in the way and I just grab a rifle and run when I get the chance. It probably won't get any better this year as I have let all employees go and do all work by myself so I stay behind.

Dan Cash
08-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Lyman 452630 semi-wadcutter as cast 20:1 over 30gr 2F. Use a good BP lube on the bullet and you won't need to smear grease over the loaded chambers. Compressing the powder charge will swell the bullet so it stays put and no cross fires result. Number 11 caps fit the nipples but get an extra set of nipples and turn them down so #10 caps will fit and you will not be at the mercy of the vendor who stocks only one size and it is the wrong size. Loading stands are a waste of money; charge a chamber, seat a bullet. Repeat until all are charged, cap and shoot or holster.

Fishman
08-22-2011, 12:06 AM
Wow! Information overload. I love it! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm leaning toward starting with the round ball load so I don't have to change the sight. I'm also going to look around the net for pics and diagrams of pistol stands. That would suffice unless I use a long boolit.

Speaking of, I forgot I have a Lyman 2-cavity maxi-ball mould that is supposed to cast at .457 and 220 grains. If it fits, those big grease grooves should be good. Anyone use a maxi in their ROA?

JesterGrin_1
08-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Just wanted to congratulate you on purchasing the best Black Powder pistol out there.

And I wish I could help but I have mainly used the round ball. :)

JDUBS
09-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Congrats on getting the best BP pistol ever made! I only use Lee .457 RB that I cast and 3f. It gives me bulls eyes all day long at 25yds. I am very interested in the backwards 45ACP round though. Very cool idea! I have a Kurst 45LC converter but have been debating getting their 45 ACP just for giggles too. Here is mine

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l575/jessdog81/P1010533.jpg

Fishman
09-07-2011, 07:18 PM
That's a nice picture of a pretty gun!