PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I bought this rifle..

trooperdan
01-21-2007, 07:54 PM
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7796860&aa=%20%20REMINGTON%20-%2003A3%20Sporter%20.30-06%20w/%20Simmons%203x9%20Scope.....C&R%20OK

Now I want to strip off the shiny finish which I assume is some form of epoxy or poly-urathane. Beside Brownell's high-priced spread, what stripper can you guys recommend that will take this stuff off?

As you can tell in the pictures, there is a crack in the foreend tip and some at the rear of the tang as well. I think I'm going to try to use some Acra-glas to bed in the recoil lug and maybe also try to re-enforce the tang with the same as well.

The magazine and trigger guard assembly are glued into the stock and the inside of the stock is also shiny with the same finish but there isn't much evidence of any really glass bedding. I notice the action flexed as I let off tension on the guard screws so I'mm see if I can work on that as well. I've never done any action bedding before but I've read a few books and did stay at a Holiday Inn Express just last year!

IcerUSA
01-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Seen that one earlier, thought it was looking like a good buy for someone who wanted to tinker a little, should make a good hunting rifle :)

Char-Gar
01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Looks like an excellent project and money well spent. The wood looks to have some nice grain.

To each their own, but I would not worry about striping the finish. I find those garish square forend, high rollover comb stocks a stench in the nose of the shooting gods.

The good news, there is plenty of wood to remodel the stock into a nice looking American Classic style. I would just have at it with rasp, files, drawknife etc. etc.

Bird dog an 03 milleds trigger guard and floor plate to replace the stamped 03A3.

Bedding with Brownells Acra-gel is a snap. Enjoy.

trooperdan
01-21-2007, 10:50 PM
Plenty of wood alright; the left side of the stock below the magazine cut-off is so high it blocks the cut-off from going all the way down. Even if that is what you wanted the stock looks, well just odd at that point! I agree that it doesn't look good.. but I have to admit I like the palm swell and flared pistol grip!

Treeman
01-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I'd probably sand it after some reshaping but Easy-off oven cleaner will probably strip it. Formby's refinisher will too.

Topper
01-22-2007, 12:29 AM
If done carefully, a sharp knofe can be used to scrape off the majority of polyurathane and shelac finishes.
I lay the knife blade against the wood and draw it the opposite direction of what you would normally do to cut. Find the right angle, and it will peel the finish off without damaging the wood.
Just be careful that the knife is sharp, and you do not cut yourself.

danski26
01-22-2007, 11:23 PM
certi-strip works well. Almost any hardware or wood working store should have it.

leftiye
01-23-2007, 01:27 AM
That glued in trigger guard can be heated, and the epoxy will soften, bubble and let go. One other option with the shiny surface would be to scour it with an abrasive. I don't know if rotten stone will cut epoxy, but you could try. same for polyester finishes. after it is polished down to a dull surface, a little linseed oil will bring it to a satin shine. Or maybe just wax it.

PatMarlin
01-23-2007, 02:12 AM
I like it. I think it's kinda cool the way it is. Iwoulda bought it FtoF... :drinks:

Molly
05-11-2007, 10:06 PM
... Now I want to strip off the shiny finish which I assume is some form of epoxy or poly-urathane. Beside Brownell's high-priced spread, what stripper can you guys recommend that will take this stuff off?

From an old paint chemist: Methylene chloride based paint strippers, N-M Pyrillidone (sometimes called M-Pryol), or lacquer thinner are all good bets that you can get at your local hardware store.