PDA

View Full Version : Source for anhydrous lanolin

tomf52
01-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Just bought some lanolin from them for Felix lube. Best price I came across on the net, $6.85 for 14 oz, fair shipping at $5 and change and gfst service. Had it in three days. No financial interest, just a happy customer and thought others may like to try them. Tom

Sorry gents - left out the important part : Horton Lane Supply Co 1223 Harbour View Drive Kill Devil Hills NC 27948 or www.hortonlane.com

Best price I got around here was almost $30.00. This is pure USP grade anhydrous lanolin.

sundog
01-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Tom, who?

John Boy
01-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Tom, was the price for the 14oz ... pure lanolin?

postscript: NICE PRICE! ... Thanks for the link

arkypete
01-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Just bought some lanolin from them for Felix lube. Best price I came across on the net, $6.85 for 14 oz, fair shipping at $5 and change and gfst service. Had it in three days. No financial interest, just a happy customer and thought others may like to try them. Tom

Am I missing something here?
Who and where? We have the what.
Jim

Uncle Grinch
01-21-2007, 07:48 PM
I bought my lanolin from CVS drug store some time ago. I assume they still carry it. Don't remember the price.

Phil
01-21-2007, 08:41 PM
From the drugstore, about $30.00 per pound.

Cheers,

Phil

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I got a big tub of it off of ebay

tomf52
01-21-2007, 09:24 PM
See edit to post

Ricochet
01-21-2007, 10:25 PM
I just bought lanolin and beeswax from this Horton Lane company, which has an eBay store. Thanks for the link!

Phil
01-21-2007, 10:48 PM
Way better prices than the drugstore! What type of beeswax do you need for bullet lube? They have several different types there. I had always assumed yellow USP?

Cheers,

Phil

shooter575
01-21-2007, 10:56 PM
Phil,I use the bees wax from bees :razz: Really doesnt matter.I would go for cheep and yellow.Some guys get it from beekeepers and need to melt and strain to get out the crap.

carpetman
01-22-2007, 01:05 AM
I got an EMAIL from Waksupi that had 3 pounds of lanolin dripping off of it. The rest had more.

Dale53
01-22-2007, 02:24 AM
Here is a source that I have used with excellent service:

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html#Lanolin

Scroll down to lanolin. You can also check out their other supplies.

I buddied up with a friend and ordered five pounds of lanolin. It reduced the unit cost as well as reduced shipping.

Dale53

Bad Flynch
01-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Guys--I want to let you in on something about this: I am a pharmacist by trade, and over the last 35 years I have used my fair share of lanolin. If you can find a dispensing pharmacy and buy USP Anhydrous Lanolin, do it. It is of much better quality than the stuff that I have bought through the internet. I know; it is a little more expensive, too.

piwo
01-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Ok.. Embarrassing question here. :oops:

I know the lanolin is nice for the skin, but what properties does it bring to the overall mix for lubes, OTHER then the skin business? Is it only added for that reason, or does it do something that the Crisco/olive oil doesn't bring?

felix
01-24-2007, 08:05 PM
If the product is USP grade, it is really too expensive for lube. However, large quantities of anything, USP or not, usually brings the price down to something we can afford to shoot into the dirt. Lanolin is a wax that mixes well with just about anything, including petro products. It's strongest advantage is that it can handle lots of pressure, equal to that of moly but without the problems associated with that; it's weakest disadvantage is that it does not take much heat to make it go bad. Shooting it, the time is too short to bother it. Mixing it, for any time above 125F will start the downgrade. Therefore, mix lanolin into the lube at the last moment, after everything else is throughly mixed in. Another advantage of lanolin is that you can make a very low temperature lube for low temp shooting, provided the amount mixed in is quite low in proportion. The viscosity of lanolin is extremely high, which causes groups to go wild in short order when the weather is cold. ... felix

tomf52
01-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Felix - The $6.85 per 14 oz price I quoted is indeed USP grade anhydrous lanolin. Just used it to make a batch of your lube and it works great. I think if you buy from them in larger quantities the prices get even better.

floodgate
01-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Lambolin (USP) makes a fine high-pressure lubricant, good for case sizing, and wipes off with a rag dipped in hot water. I used it on the 20 or 25 permanent jacking piers I used to level the floor joists in my old farmhouse, and they still turn freely after 5-10 years.

floodgate

Buckshot
01-25-2007, 02:17 AM
..............Another good use for lanolin is in swageing. Won't diesel in the die :-)

..............Buckshot

Scrounger
01-25-2007, 06:17 AM
..............Another good use for lanolin is in swageing. Won't diesel in the die :-)

..............Buckshot

Why is CarpetMan strangely silent on this subject?

Hackleback
01-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I found some lanolin at the local pharmacy buy it is hydrous. They said that they could not get anhydrous. I think that it was $9 out the door. It is 72.5% lanolin, I assume the rest is water. I dont know if it would be any good as a lube ingredent.
Cracked feet? smear some on your feet, put on a pair of sox and they are nice and soft in the morning. Down fall is that you smell like a wet sweater.

Ricochet
01-26-2007, 12:56 PM
I got 30 oz. of anhydrous USP lanolin for $11.85 from the link posted at the beginning of the thread.

randyrat
01-27-2007, 07:23 PM
From what i understand Lanolin is "wool fat" comes from sheep. is this true. Ah no now the sheep are nervous.:holysheep

Ricochet
01-27-2007, 09:10 PM
Yep, it's wool fat. Mostly cholesterol and cholesterol esters of fatty acids.

This morning as I got out of the shower I noticed my skin was awfully dry and chafed in areas. Rubbed some of this stuff on. Lubed me up just fine.

randyrat
01-27-2007, 09:48 PM
The stuff sould be sold as a miricle cure for all. It also works to pull infection out of a sore/cut I think they call it a "Bollis" my mother used it on me. Thats why i'm still alive today "WOOL FAT" Now i found another use for it bullet lube. So far all i need for my survival pack is Vinager and Wool fat.

Ricochet
01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey, I just learned that Briggs & Stratton sells lanolin! Whodathunkit? http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?docid=99191

I've been reading around the Web on it. Seems the stuff has natural antibacterial and antifungal properties, which shouldn't be surprising considering where it came from. It's also said to be commonly contaminated with small amounts of pesticides from sheep dipping.

Ricochet
01-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh, another thing I learned is that "Lanolin" was originally a trademark for a wool fat/water emulsion. Came to be used generically, and the trademark owner lost his rights in a 1902 court case.

Ricochet
01-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Another whodathunkit? Lanolin can be poisonous: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002663.htm

(I'd bet you'd have to take a lot of it to get sick.)

Scrounger
01-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Another whodathunkit? Lanolin can be poisonous: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002663.htm

(I'd bet you'd have to take a lot of it to get sick.)

Someone better warn the CarpetMan...

The fat alone is Anhydrous Lanilin, mixed with water, it is Hydrous Lanolin...

Might need to know that next time you buy....