PDA

View Full Version : Free component storage

Jamesconn
08-18-2011, 02:26 AM
I got this from a thread on THR I think but I think it's great information.
Powder and primers malfunction if stored in high humidity and rapid temperature change.
Well i live in a place pretty bad to store anything correctly, and I'm not a big fan of storing pounds and pounds of powder in my room.

The gentleman that came up with this said home depot and like stores haul off people's old fridges and get one with a good rubber gasket and clean it with 1 part bleach and 3 parts water and let it air out for a couple days then put some baking soda in to keep it from stinking and put dyed silica gel in there.
What happens when the granules suck up a certain amount of water they change color and you can heat them in the oven on low and dry them again.
It protects from temperature change and humidity and I bet you can buy a fridge lock to keep kids out.

If y'all like the idea like me and can't find the silica gel PM me throughout my quest to achieve self-sufficientsy I've found a source.

I also plan on storing my ammunition in a deep freezer with the same stuff.

Jamesconn
08-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Also many have questioned about mold storage this would seem to be a good solution to that too.

Who knows ya might get a good working fridge.

badbob454
08-18-2011, 02:29 AM
i got 3 fridges 1 for rifles 1 for powders ,and whisky , and 1 for handguns, pistols and primers.....

i keep live ammo in 50 cal boxes , and put them in truck crossbed , storage boxes you know the truck toolboxes that open on each end

Bret4207
08-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Someplace on this site there are pictures of my mould/powder storage fridge. A 15-25 watt bulb (incandescent!) keeps things nice and dry along with a large desiccant box from Brownells.

garym1a2
08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Powder is best not keep in a metal box(fridge). In event of a strong fire you have a bomb. Its better in case of fire to have the powder burn-off uncontained.

Jamesconn
08-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Fridges are flame resistant

Bob Krack
08-18-2011, 09:04 AM
and most refrigerators any more have magnetic clasps - that is - pressure will pop the door(s) open. No bomb any more than the legally required (for large amounts) of being wood.

Bob

Ziptar
08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Not to mention that by the time the fire got hot enough to blow the powder, the seals would have burned off also.

For smaller quantities an decent Ice Chest or Cooler works well too.

DLCTEX
08-18-2011, 10:14 AM
If using a light bulb to keep things dry, be sure to use a low wattage bulb or you'll create an oven. I put a 60 watt bulb in one to keep welding rods dry and burned my hand two days later when grabbing a handfull of rods.

lead-1
08-18-2011, 02:00 PM
In the welding area at work we used a 15 watt bulb in a homemade plywood box to keep the supplies dry. We had a couple different case hardening powders in there and they never collected moisture in that little homemade set up.

LabGuy
08-18-2011, 08:06 PM
If using a light bulb to keep things dry, be sure to use a low wattage bulb or you'll create an oven. I put a 60 watt bulb in one to keep welding rods dry and burned my hand two days later when grabbing a handfull of rods.

Reminds me of the old "easy bake oven".

ratboy
08-18-2011, 08:36 PM
my father stored his black powder in a lockable freezer on the back porch for decades. the containers rusted thu on some but the powder still burned. i am still working thru the leftovers 50 grains at a time...

Wayne Smith
08-19-2011, 07:44 AM
I kept the old still working refrig when LOML wanted a new one. It's in the garage with powder, primers, and beer.

MT Gianni
08-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Fridges are flame resistant

One of the fun times assisting a fire dept is standing by while they burn down a house for practice. The contractors would donate a house for a burn as they wanted the lot and it was junk. After a few really neat explosions the fire dept started making sure that the refrigerators were out of there as the old ones really blew when they got too hot. My job was to get the gas line taken care of when the grease melted out of the shut off valve and it started on fire. I don't think they burn them any more, this was 20 years ago but lots of fun.