PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Whiz

lkydvl
08-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Does anyone know where Buffalo whiz can be purchased? I've been unable to locate it on the net and their web site appears to be no more.

Thanks,

Andre'

Maven
08-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Buffalo Whiz is a patch lube?

lkydvl
08-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Bore cleaner to the best of my knowledge. Fellow at the Sagebrush shoot let me use some in a mix with Murphy's and it far out cleaned my Hoppes BP cleaner.

Andre`

dragonrider
08-17-2011, 06:45 PM
:shock:"Bore cleaner to the best of my knowledge."

That's a relief, :shock::shock: I was having some really strange thought about that!!!!!!

Omnivore
08-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I use water to clean BP guns, for the most part.

Hmm...I thought Buffalo Whiz was a beer. Maybe that was Bear Whiz Beer; "It's in the water"

DIRT Farmer
08-17-2011, 11:57 PM
I have read of people wizz being used as a field expeidiant cleaning agent when the extraction became hard under extreme duress.

JJC
08-18-2011, 02:16 AM
I was wondering where this would go when I saw it earlier today

rhbrink
08-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Buffalo Wizz is a case cleaner, use to be when you bought some it came in a gallon jug with some concretrated "Wizz" then you added water to fill up the gallon jug. Cheaper to ship and after firing a round drop the case into the wizz. This stuff works really well and makes the case clean enough that you don't have to tumble the cases later to put a shine back on them.

Richard

Maven
08-18-2011, 09:19 AM
Andre, Equal parts Murphy's Oil Soap, Hydrogen Peroxide (2% - 3% solution), and isopropyl alcohol (70% or 90% concentration) aka "Friendship Speed Juice" works remarkably well as a BP bore cleaner, and even as a patch lube. Store the stuff in an opaque plastic bottle to prevent the oxygen from leaving the peroxide solution. Room temperature storage is a good idea too.

lkydvl
08-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Won't the Hydrogen peroxide damage the bore over time since its an oxidizer, (ruster)?

Thanks for the formula.

Andre`

felix
08-18-2011, 12:21 PM
It should not when the ph of the entire solution is high and the bore CLEAN. In other words, the BP smell should be completely gone before storage. ... felix

Maven
08-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Andre, As Felix indicated, the 2% or 3% H2O2 is a weak oxidizer and not meant to be kept in the bbl. for long periods of time. I usually plug the nipple or touchhole, pour a few ounces downbore, let it sit for a few minutes, agitate it, and then pour it out. A dry patch tells me if I need to repeat the process: If you can smell sulfides, then it's not clean. I then dry the bbl. and saturate it with WD-40 and/or Marvel Mystery Oil/ATF. I generally keep a cleaning rod with a WD-40, etc., soaked patch in the bbl. and check it every other day for rust. There's typically none.

DIRT Farmer
08-18-2011, 09:59 PM
I have had shooters tell me for years that H2O2 will rust a barrel. 2% divided by 3 is a very small percentage, considering the concentrations people put on their hair. The only problem I have had with the solution is the alchaol disolving my stock finish when I spill some.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-18-2011, 10:45 PM
we use the Murphy's oil soap , hydrogen peroxide , and rubbing alcohol in our 4H muzzle loading program works great have gone 20+ rounds without swabbing the bore get very consistent accuracy from it , to the point where we can tell if some one swabbed between shots vs not if you swab you have to do it every time if you don't then you don't the hole coarse of fire or your score will reflect your change in loading procedure.

if we can't clean them up right at the range they get a fields cleaned with just the mix until that night when they get hot soapy water and a good scrubbing makes for very soft fouling and they clean up in minutes after a days constant shooting
after that they need a good drying any way then a fresh coat of oil.

missionary5155
08-19-2011, 08:19 AM
I have read of people wizz being used as a field expeidiant cleaning agent when the extraction became hard under extreme duress.
In the military this liquid has been used for all sorts of field expediences to aid the operation of weapons dirty, hot and frozen.
I know of a Missionary who has used this liquid to help cool a very hot 2 cycle motor at 11,000 + numerous times. Mike in Peru

lkydvl
08-19-2011, 08:40 AM
you guys are all kinds of help...

DIRT Farmer
08-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks

Fly
08-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Andre, As Felix indicated, the 2% or 3% H2O2 is a weak oxidizer and not meant to be kept in the bbl. for long periods of time. I usually plug the nipple or touchhole, pour a few ounces downbore, let it sit for a few minutes, agitate it, and then pour it out. A dry patch tells me if I need to repeat the process: If you can smell sulfides, then it's not clean. I then dry the bbl. and saturate it with WD-40 and/or Marvel Mystery Oil/ATF. I generally keep a cleaning rod with a WD-40, etc., soaked patch in the bbl. and check it every other day for rust. There's typically none.

Well I mixed some up & must say, it's cleans about as good as anything I
have ever used.
Thank's Maven for the recipe
Fly[smilie=w:

Maven
08-20-2011, 09:23 AM
You're most welcome, Fly! Btw, it cleans the BP residue from your hands very quickly and thoroughly too.

DIRT Farmer
08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
And I have used it to clean wounds in the field. It seems to work as well as the medical scrub that comes pre-packaged in first aid and field EMS kits. It will definatly clean up your hands and arms after cleaning a deer.