PDA

View Full Version : Uncleaned since last year

08-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Well, I took my friend out to the range with his T/C Omega to begin this years deer season prep. Prior to any line time, we broke his rifle down for the "first of the season" cleanings and inspection. Wow! He forgot to clean it after last years last shot. Not at all normal for him. He is way diligent about such things, but this one got away from him. I was afraid of damage and there were some dark spots near the chamber. We shot it and got some very good groups which included some three inchers at 200 yards. Point of this post is two fold. 1 - That T/C is one fine rifle. 2 - Upon cleaning it at the end of the day, I lapped the barrel with about 400+ strokes with a patch and Flitz. Looks like a mirror in there and no dark spots around the chamber. Just goes to show that all is not lost, even with the unintended torture test. I bet he keeps it clean form now on!!

Tatume
08-17-2011, 06:39 AM
I'm curious about three things. Do you live somewhere with low humidity? Is that a stainless steel Omega? What type of propellant was your friend using?

08-17-2011, 09:54 PM
We live in humid central. He is down on the eastern shore of Maryland. It was, in fact, a stainless barrel. He was shooting 2 - 50 grain pellets of Triple Seven. Come to think of it, the gun was stored in his gun safe that has a golden rod dehumidifier. Power belt bullets which leave just a touch of plastic on the interior of the barrel when used. Kind of like shotguns with power pistons. When I first looked down that barrel, I imagined the worst. Turned out not to be as bad as I thought. I would never allow that to happen to any gun I had control over. Using Flitz completely corrected the damage. Has given me the urge to lap all my other barrels. None of mine have a similar condition, but when finished, that barrel of his was as smooth as any I've ever seen. Sharp clean rifling. Eager to have our next range session just to see (1) how easy it loads, (2) how it shoots, and (3) how it cleans up.

pietro
08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
FWIW, I haven't "cleaned" my T/C .45 Cherokee since T/C introduced BoreButter 100+, about 1985 ? :shock:

No rust, no issues, good accuracy - shot/hunted every year (New England/November).

I originally treated it (once) as directed - thorough hot water scrubbing, and a BB treatment baked in while the metal was warm.
I shoot only BB-lubed Maxi-Hunter's, with Pyro RS.
After each season's or shoot's end, I swab the bore with a patch soaked in T/C Moose Milk, then dry the bore w/more parches - followed by a wiping with a "storage" patch, treated with the BB.
I take care to remove & clean the nipple under a hot water tap, pipecleaner the spark channel, and clean the hammer nose w/MooseMilk & BB

NickSS
08-23-2011, 11:50 PM
pietro, I do not know what you mean by cleaning a rifle but it sounds to me is that what you are doing or am I missing something. I clean my rifle by running a couple of partches with 50-50 Ballistol and water. Follow it with a dry patch then one with straight ballistol on it. I also clean the nipple and nipple flash hole the same way. No rust either.

thunderthud
08-29-2011, 02:20 PM
what's a nipple?:kidding:

pietro
08-29-2011, 05:16 PM
[ I do not know what you mean by cleaning a rifle]

Nick, by "cleaning", I was referring to the time-honored practice of a tear-down, with a hot-water washout, then drying & oiling, etc - usually a 30min + chore.

I just basically wipe out my bore of large, fresh crud - usually only from the shot or two, taken when hunting or practicing - 5mins or less.