PDA

View Full Version : Accurate Molds, Brass vs Aluminum and other questions.

Colorado4wheel
08-15-2011, 09:23 PM
So I use two Lyman 4 cavity molds at the same time to make a lot of 9mm bullets for my USPSA shooting. I don't like the 147gr mold I am using. I really want a 130gr mold that will drop my range scrap at about 135grs. I also am getting my Lyman molds to drop at about .3565 to a little over .357. I would prefer they dropped a little larger. I see accurate molds has a 130gr mold. Seems perfect to me. I am worried about the brass and aluminum not lasting as well. One of my Lyman has a scratch on it by the corner where it hits the pin that holds it down. Don't know why really. I used Lee in the past but they tended to gall. I think some of this is because I was a new caster and was learning some things. I have been casting over a year now. My desire is for two molds that will produce a lot of bullets fast. I have a routine now where I fill a mold, set it down, fill the other mold, etc. Seems to keep the sprue nice and solid and I am not rushing the process by cutting the sprue to soon. Not sure if I should even consider a custom Brass mold. Any thoughts on the brass vs aluminum? Thoughts on sizing of the mold (maybe larger) for range scrap? I was thinking Saeco molds but I hear their hit or miss now too.

Piedmont
08-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Iron moulds are the strongest, so I guess one will outlast an aluminum mould, but Accurate molds are a lot better than Lee moulds in my opinion.

If you are used to 4 cavity irons, two 4 cavity aluminums will be easier on your wrists, forearms, and elbows. If you are worried about longevity I think you should start using Bullshop sprue plate lube. There won't be any sprue plate galling if you give it some lube when it starts to bind.

I own several brass moulds and more in aluminum. My Accurate Molds so far have been aluminum because it is less expensive and lighter. I guess iron is my preferance in moulds but I won't pay a premium for it or brass. Every material has its advantages.

Were I in your shoes I would order two aluminum four bangers and I think you are wise to ask for them to cast .358. If you tell him that he will exceed it a bit, but range scrap tends to cast a bit smaller than wheel weights, so it will all work out fine for .358" sizing.

Bret4207
08-16-2011, 06:35 AM
I own one brass Yankee mould. It's simply the easiest mould I have to cast with, far easier than iron or aluminum. OTH, aluminum is a lot lighter and if you take care of them Lees moulds last forever. I really can't picture anyone "wearing out" a Lee 6 banger if they take proper care of it. NO matter what you do a 4 banger is going to be slower than a 6, but how much that really matters I don;t know. Probably individuals vary in their casting practice enough to make it almost a non-issue.

In the end, you pays your money and takes your chances. Do what YOU want.

Lloyd Smale
08-16-2011, 06:49 AM
brass seems to hold the heat a bit better then steal when casting smaller bullets but its heavier and a 4 cav lyman is heavy enough. Im not a fan of lyman 2 cav molds but you have to go along ways to get a better mold then a 4 cav lyman. I wish i could get rcbs to cut a few of there designs in lyman 4 cav blocks!!!

JJC
08-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Colorado4wheel Thanks for bringing this question up. I'm stuck between brass and aluminum also. Watching with interest.

MikeS
08-16-2011, 04:59 PM
I have cast with both brass and aluminum moulds, and if given a choice, I would always go with a brass mould. While they're heavier, I like the way they cast, and brass holds heat better than aluminum does. I have not found iron to cast any better than brass, and with brass you don't have to worry about getting rust in the cavities.

white eagle
08-16-2011, 05:50 PM
been there done that
Brass is the way to go
although lighter aluminum is harder for me to control mold temp
brass is a bit easier for me to handle mold temp
but like what others have said ya gotta take care of yer
equipment Virgil
I would not hesitate to get aluminum
either is fine
my preference is brass

Colorado4wheel
08-16-2011, 08:43 PM
My Lyman 4 cavity are not to heavy for me. Main things is the Brass are 3 cavity and the Aluminum are 4 cavity. I think I would be ok with the three. Not sure it would be that much slower using two molds at the same time.

rbertalotto
08-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Are Accurate Molds brass or aluminum? The pictures I've seen look like brass.

I bet the ticket would be anodized aluminum..........the surface would be like teflon.

JJC
08-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Are Accurate Molds brass or aluminum? The pictures I've seen look like brass.

I bet the ticket would be anodized aluminum..........the surface would be like teflon.

You can get either material

Marlin Junky
08-17-2011, 04:03 AM
All factors equal, aluminum requires a faster casting pace than brass if boolit weight consistency and the absence of exterior imperfections are important to you.

MJ

cajun shooter
08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Accurate moulds offer his moulds in all metals. I purchased my first brass ones from Tom in 2010 and I wish I had done it in 1970. His brass moulds are perfect and they are 100 times better than any Lee aluminum mould.
I cast 44-40 for the most part for my SASS shooting. I first started casting in 1970 and wish that I had tried brass moulds before then.
I also changed my casting method about 4 years ago and that has made a world of difference. I use a large single burner hot plate and two 3 cavity moulds to keep the weight where it is easy to use.
I put both moulds on the hot plate at the same time I turn on the RCBS pro melt. When the alloy is ready to pour,I turn the hotplate to a area between 1/2 and 3/4. I fill the first mould and return it to the hot plate, and fill the second and return it to the hot plate. I then dump the first mould and refill it and then back to the plate which is starting the sequence over. Since I started this method I no longer have rejects, even from the first drop. I remember when I did it the old way, it would take up to 5 drops to finally receive good bullets.
Try brass from Accurate and you will never go back!!

JJC
08-17-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm convinced brass it is Thanks