PDA

View Full Version : 9 mm cartridge case ring (???)

soldierbilly1
08-15-2011, 07:57 AM
OK, I completely solved my leading problem with the XD9's barrel. (applause subsides)

New problem: I am noticing a brass ring about the outside of the case around the case head. The inside of the case is not thinning, as we would see on a rifle bottle case. It is mostly on StarLine cases. These cases have been reloaded only a few times using medium loads. (soft brass?) I have seen it on other cases as well, eg Win and FC, but these have been shot many more times. The case will go into my case gauge but the ring is making it a little tougher to seat.
The case length is OK before and after sizing.
Is sizing causing this? soft brass? I am using a Lyman MDie as well, is this contributing?
any safety issue here? I think not, but I want to check with the hive.

I am trying to get a picture up. (PC challenged as usual.)

Bill Boy

243winxb
08-15-2011, 09:31 AM
The 9mm case is tapered & if you size to far down into the heavy web area, you might get a ring. Have you tried a different die? Just a wild guess without seeing a photo. Saw photo Take measurements of the web area, if larger than .3910" you have a bulge from high pressure. If under .3910" you may have a die that is tight and sizing too small. Or the die is sizing to deep into the web area of the tapered case. The web area should not expand with light to midrange loads The die mouth may need more bevel, but hard to reshape a carbide die.

soldierbilly1
08-15-2011, 11:14 AM
here is a photo of the bulge I am talking about.

any ideas as to why this is happening? sizer adjusted down too far?
whattup?

bill boy
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x368/billyd111/9%20mm%20cases/caqse003.jpg

Herb in Pa
08-15-2011, 11:21 AM
That looks exactly like a case fired from an open bolt submachine gun where the chamber is a little larger and the round is going off a fraction of a second before the round is fully chambered. I have an MP40 and it makes brass look like that.......I purchased a sizing die from EGW that solved my dilemma. Perhaps your chamber is a bit on the large size............

http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-reloading-dies/undersize-reloading-dies/

MtGun44
08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Is the die hitting the shell holder? Looks to me like just not quite sizing it far enough.
How about a Dillon die with a radius that is just a bit too big?

Bill

Echo
08-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Looks like a cylindrical sizing die on a tapered case...

noylj
08-15-2011, 11:03 PM
IF the "ring" is only on one side and is visible AFTER sizing, I have found the same thing from two types of cases:
1) I am guessing that is was from some "lucky" shooter loading MAJOR for some action shooting sport and leaving a slightly bulged case
2) Range brass with the rectangular Glock "firing pin" mark.
In both of the cases I have found, itis from the unsupported section.
I scrap these cases.
You may also find that by NOT sizing down so far, you will not aggravate the slight bulge and form the ridge that will prevent easy chambering.
I know that my Hornady sizing dies go down a little further than my other sizing dies and I have had to raise them slightly for both 9x19 and .38 Super.

soldierbilly1
08-21-2011, 06:23 AM
perhaps from over crimping? Can over crimping raise pressures?
I am thinking I may be overdoing it.
thanks
billy boy

Frosty Boolit
08-21-2011, 06:59 AM
just lower your taper crimp die until you've removed the flare. And if it makes you feel better turn it down another 1/16th of a turn.

noylj
08-21-2011, 11:19 AM
You would have to lock the case mouth in the bullet pretty deep to be able to raise pressure, and that only works if you can some how prevent the case from bulging out and losing bullet tension.
If Lee made a 9mm Mak FCD, one could use that with the bulge buster to use with 9x19 cases. I have no idea why Lee hasn't brought out a FCD body just for this purpose. I have mentioned it to them...
I love running my .40S&W and .45 Auto brass through the bulge buster and then "neck sizing" only. The cases still drop in the barrels, but they have a "lot" less slop.
Plan to get a bunch of Starline .38 Super Comp brass for my .38 Supers and use a bulge buster on them also.

colt 357
08-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Is this 9mm makarov or 9mm luger I know that if your collecting range brass you should inspect for your caliber. i have found some 9mm makarov when pricking up range brass. also sort by head stamp for the length may vary and could cause over crimping. Don't know if this is your problem or not I'm new at reloading 9mm luger. I'm sure someone here might be able to put more on this???????? Just a thought

Char-Gar
08-21-2011, 04:00 PM
The photo link is not working.

soldierbilly1
08-21-2011, 06:19 PM
fixed photo link PC challenged as usual! billy boy

casterofboolits
08-22-2011, 02:47 PM
What sizing die did you use?

For range pick up brass, I normally size in a steel size die, then reload them in a Dillon SDB.

The bulge seems really excessive to me and I would not trust those cases.

hp6
08-25-2011, 02:47 PM
I had a similar problem. What is happening is that when you resize the case, only 85% of the total length of the case can be shoved into the resizing die. What you need is a press and die set that allows the case to be shoved 100% of its length through the resizing die.

Go to magma engineering's web site and look at the case master jr or go to Case Pro's web site and look at their Case Pro 100. Both of these presses will resize 100% of the case length.

Iron Mike Golf
08-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Or a Lee Bulge Buster. It's a push-thru case sizer

Wally
08-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Use a 9 mm Luger steel sizer die...it sizes it deeper than a carbide sizer die does.