PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 7.62X25 With HP=38

Eddie O
08-14-2011, 05:41 AM
Hi,
With the shortage of 7.62X25 surplus Ammo I decided it's time to try out my Toke Dies, I'm going to cast some Hard Lead 85 Grain .32 RN bullets and size them down to .309. and load them in some new Boxer Brass I ordered a while back.

Not a lot of Reload data around on the 7.62X25 so I believe I will start with 3.5 Grains of HP-38 (Have about 5 Lbs on the Shelf) The .30 Mauser starts at 3.2 Grains of HP-38 for a FMJ bullet of that weight, so I believe I will be starting at a very Conservative Powder weight on the Toke.

Hoping someone has some recommendations on this Round, I really want to use the HP-38 since I’ve reloaded a pile of .38 Spcl. And 9mm and still have 4 plus Lbs left. and I’d like to use it in a 9X18 Makarov and 7.62X25, hope someone familiar with this Powder has some suggestions, I’ll be using Hard Cast Lead Bullets.

I found myself short on some Lube (the LEE Dies are Steel) and some Small Pistol Primers and other items.

Since I need to hit a Gun Shop any way I was hoping someone was familiar with a well Stocked Shop just over the Border in Del. or Pa., I’m located in Aberdeen, Maryland, about 35 Miles out of Pa. or Del. Using I 95 or Rt. 40. That way I may be able to pick up a High Cap Mag or two for my SKS and possible a new C&R if they have any at a decent price and condition.

I don't mind the Drive, through the Mail Primers cost an extra $20 plus Postage so the drive is worth it.

Thanks for the help,

Ed

bruce drake
08-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Good luck on finding decent supplies anywhere within decent driving distance from Aberdeen. I was assigned to APG for 2 years about a decade ago and the selection was thin then. One of the shops in Delaware actually shut down on me while I was there.

Elk Neck State Park still have that 100 yard rifle range? There use to be a old fellow that ran a gunshop full of C&Rs on the road into the park. A little racist but as long as the conversation didn't drift that way, I didn't mind picking up a decent C&R from him.

Bruce

Eddie O
08-23-2011, 01:20 AM
Good luck on finding decent supplies anywhere within decent driving distance from Aberdeen. I was assigned to APG for 2 years about a decade ago and the selection was thin then. One of the shops in Delaware actually shut down on me while I was there.

Elk Neck State Park still have that 100 yard rifle range? There use to be a old fellow that ran a gunshop full of C&Rs on the road into the park. A little racist but as long as the conversation didn't drift that way, I didn't mind picking up a decent C&R from him.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I've been firing pistol for the past two years, not sure about the 100Yrd Range, Elk Neck is certainly the best kept Range anywhere in the area.
Think if I wear my "MISS ME YET" T Shirt I'll be good for a discount from the Old Timer,
Ed

bumpo628
08-23-2011, 02:47 AM
Here's some tokarev load data. They have different data for W231 and HP38, even though they are the same powder. At least it is a starting point though.
http://www.makarov.com/tokloaddata.html

They also have Makarov data using W231/HP38:
http://www.makarov.com/w231lrn.html
and some other load data:
http://www.makarov.com/mak04.html

Eddie O
08-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Here's some tokarev load data. They have different data for W231 and HP38, even though they are the same powder. At least it is a starting point though.

They also have Makarov data using W231/HP38:
http://www.makarov.com/w231lrn.html
and some other load data:
http://www.makarov.com/mak04.html

Thanks bumpo628,

The information was prefect, looks like 3.6 Grains of HP-38 will be a near perfect Charge for both Rounds, I'll most likely start a few Grains short on the first few Rounds and work back up. I like to use the HP-38 because it seems to be a versatile Powder, Fast Burning and inexpensive. If I had my way I'd have one Powder for Pistols and one for Rifle. Unfortunately I can't, But you most likely kept another Powder off my shelf.

Sometimes I know it's necessary but if we followed the recommended powder for each Round we would need a Bunker to hold all the Powder.

Thanks Again.
Ed

frkelly74
08-23-2011, 06:14 AM
I have a lee 311 93 1r 2 cavity mold that I bought to load into a 7.62X25 that I had once. It is a round nose and flat based boolit. I also have about 200 boolits left over from that project. At the time the 71 gr jacket bullets were cheap and easier to use so I didn't get much experimenting done, I think I was using red dot in cut down reformed 223 brass. It was fun for a while but the next project came along and I shelved it and eventually traded the gun off. The mold is available and the boolits also.

bumpo628
08-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Thanks bumpo628,

The information was prefect, looks like 3.6 Grains of HP-38 will be a near perfect Charge for both Rounds, I'll most likely start a few Grains short on the first few Rounds and work back up. I like to use the HP-38 because it seems to be a versatile Powder, Fast Burning and inexpensive. If I had my way I'd have one Powder for Pistols and one for Rifle. Unfortunately I can't, But you most likely kept another Powder off my shelf.

Sometimes I know it's necessary but if we followed the recommended powder for each Round we would need a Bunker to hold all the Powder.

Thanks Again.
Ed

So true. I use W231 for almost everything, so I can appreciate trying to keep the inventory down. Next time I buy powder, I'll have to get the HP38 since it is the same thing in a cheaper package. :confused:

I've got so much surplus ammo for my Tokarev, I won't be casting for it anytime soon. That didn't stop me from bookmarking the load data when I found it a few months ago, though.
Cheers! :drinks:

Eddie O
08-23-2011, 03:18 PM
So true. I use W231 for almost everything, so I can appreciate trying to keep the inventory down. Next time I buy powder, I'll have to get the HP38 since it is the same thing in a cheaper package. :confused:

I've got so much surplus ammo for my Tokarev, I won't be casting for it anytime soon. That didn't stop me from bookmarking the load data when I found it a few months ago, though.

Same Here,
I still have 2 Spam Cans of Polish, that has a problem with Split Necks. Century says don't worry "RIGHT" also have some better quality Yugo that has a smooth roll Crimp and not the Dimpled Polish.

I talked to a Friend at Century (Who was a major Importer of the Surplus) he related they are still trying to locate another source and if they find one the cheap Toke may be over. I think we all knew that was coming.

My Surplus wont last forever, as I shoot this stuff like .22. :Fire: I have five Weapons that take that Cal. and I'm not going to get caught in a panic buying when the price goes to $17 a Box plus $25 Hazmat.

Just look at the gouging taking place on Gunbroker right now. [smilie=b:

Like yourself I just want to be able to shoot at my pleasure without depending on the Ammo Market's Quirks. :Luvcastboolits:

Nice talking to you, :drinks:

Ed

frkelly74
08-23-2011, 03:27 PM
BTW , you can make brass out of 223 brass that will work very well. There is no need to not shoot these guns.

bbqncigars
08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Starline has new .30 Mauser brass for $159/K with free shipping. I try to avoid case forming.

Eddie O
08-23-2011, 08:36 PM

Same Here,
I still have two Spam Cans of Polish, that has a problem with Split Necks. Century says don't worry "RIGHT" also have some better quality Romanian that has a smooth roll Crimp and not the Dimpled Polish, but still corrosive

I talked to a Friend at Century (Who was a major Importer of the Surplus) he related they are still trying to locate another source and even if they find one, the cheap Toke may be over. I think we all knew that was coming.

My Surplus won’t last forever as I shoot this stuff like .22. :Fire: I have five Weapons that take that Cal. and I'm not going to get caught up in panic buying when the price goes to $17 a Box plus $25 Hazmat and Postage.

Have you seen the gouging on Gunbroker already? [smilie=b:

When the Friends and Family come over to Shoot, I normally supply the Handguns (Toks, CZ) and Ammo, that’s what Gram Pop’s do and will continue to do. Not that I am in anyway a Survivalist, but let’s face it you never know what the future may bring. Hear about the Earth Quake we had today, not a lot to talk about, but what if it were a 9.0 [smilie=w::dung_hits_fan:

Like yourself I just want to be able to shoot at my pleasure without depending on the Ammo Market’s Quirks :kissarse:

Nice talking to you, :drinks:
Ed

Eddie O
08-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Starline has new .30 Mauser brass for $159/K with free shipping. I try to avoid case forming.

The Starline is good Brass, I ordered 1,000 Rounds to put away, unless there is a good sale on 1.000 Rounds of good reloadable Boxer I can't see a better deal happening. With Surplus Ammo going bye bye I can only see the price going up on Commercial.

For the past three years I've seen nothing good happening in the Ammo Market.

I talked to the Mechanic I used too get all my Lead Wheel Weights from and he advised he could not give them up anymore as he could no longer get them and had to save everything he had to re-use on other vehicles as he could only get Zinc Stick on Weights that were not worth ****.

Then there was that EPA scare a year or two back that was supposedly to ban Lead Bullets.

And then there was the last Presidential Election that cleared the Shelves of all Ammo and Reloading components. It took almost three Years to recover and Doubled the prices. Even now we are feeling the after effects

I don't know if there is a real Conspiracy, Left Wing Politics or just a bunch of Liberal Butt Holes in Power, actually trying to disarm America or a little bit of all of it.

For my part I will continue to support the Second Amendment and the Rights of all Americans.

If you don't know me I am a Retired Police Sergeant from Baltimore, Maryland, my Son-In-Law is a former U.S. Marine and my Father was a Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Air Force. He was a Tail Gunner on a B17 in WWII, Stationed in North Africa and later in Italy.

I am not a survivalist nor do I believe America is on the brink or Revolution, I do however believe it is the duty of every American to support the rights that our fathers lived, fought and many died for.

In my small way I do everything possible to support the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

For me, Reloading is one small way. It will be hard to take that Right away from me. By the way I have also built several Black Powder Weapons. In fact remove all of my Weapons and Ammo, give me a Week and I have the knowledge to build a fully functional Flint Lock Weapon from components I could purchased at Home Depot, including the Powder

I don't know what put me on this Soap Box other than to say that I believe that "Cast Boolets" is a very important forum for the exchange of information vital for Americans to stay abreast of Reloading topics, and political issues as they apply to the Shooting Hobby, thanks for the excellent Board.

I think the no more free Lead may have topped off my BP. However the price of Starline Brass made me feel better.

Thanks,
Ed

Eddie O
08-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I have a lee 311 93 1r 2 cavity mold that I bought to load into a 7.62X25 that I had once. It is a round nose and flat based boolit. I also have about 200 boolits left over from that project. At the time the 71 gr jacket bullets were cheap and easier to use so I didn't get much experimenting done, I think I was using red dot in cut down reformed 223 brass. It was fun for a while but the next project came along and I shelved it and eventually traded the gun off. The mold is available and the boolits also.

frkelly74

What price are you Looking for.

Thanks,
Ed

HARRYMPOPE
08-24-2011, 11:30 PM
I just fired 280 rnds of Polish through a PPS 43 tonight and had about a misfire every 25 shots or so.
even the ones that were not split before shooting were badly split down into the body after firing.

George

bumpo628
08-25-2011, 01:25 AM
I just fired 280 rnds of Polish through a PPS 43 tonight and had about a misfire every 25 shots or so.
even the ones that were not split before shooting were badly split down into the body after firing.

George

That's odd. I've gone through a case or two of the Polish in my TT-33 and I haven't had a misfire yet. Most of the cases split due to the staked crimping though. Maybe my Polish gun likes Polish ammo...;-)

Eddie O
08-25-2011, 10:45 AM
That's odd. I've gone through a case or two of the Polish in my TT-33 and I haven't had a misfire yet. Most of the cases split due to the staked crimping though. Maybe my Polish gun likes Polish ammo...;-)

Same here, lots of split Cases, but not one Mis-Fire in any of my Tokes or CZ.

I did see a Post at one time bout some particular bad numbers on Polish Spam Cans (Don't have the numbers) perhaps it's the PPS 43 it don't like? Try some in a Toke if you have one.

If it fires OK in a Toke sell whatever Polish you have left on Gunbroker, darn near buy new for the price some people are paying for 50 year old Ammo, maybe thats where they thought the Nazi Gold was hidden.

With the price it's bringing I'm considering selling two Spams of Polish for $500 to $600 and picking up 1,800 Rounds of new made Ammo with reloadable Brass.

AIM Prices

1 or more $15.95 50 Rounds $15.95
10 or more $15.25 500 Rounds $152.25
36 or more $14.95 1800 Rounds $538.20

Ed

HARRYMPOPE
08-25-2011, 10:20 PM
J&G has polish spam cans for $180 in stock.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-handguns/7-62x25-30-tokarev/p/7-62x25-polish-fmj-1260rd-in-can/cPath/25_28/products_id/3145

HARRYMPOPE
08-25-2011, 10:23 PM

the PPS 43 fired Prvi just fine.Dies just showed up and i will shoot it this weekend with cast.

buyobuyo
08-25-2011, 10:36 PM
The Lyman 49 manual list 4.7gr to 5.5gr of HP-38 for an 85gr lead boolit.

Eddie O
08-25-2011, 11:02 PM
J&G has polish spam cans for $180 in stock.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-handguns/7-62x25-30-tokarev/p/7-62x25-polish-fmj-1260rd-in-can/cPath/25_28/products_id/3145

I haven't seen anyone sell that low in a long time, wonder if the big guys were holding back to bump prices?

There are going to be some PO'ed buyers on Gunbroker, I just counted 13 Shooters bidding over $200 on the same stuff.

Something don't smell right here? By the way AIM just sent me a Flier for a P64, Two Mags and a Holster, Excellent Mechanical shape but #2 grade on the finish (poor to fair) $149, not a bad price for a excellent mechanical 9mm Makarov Shooter.

Something worries me about the J&G sale on Toke Ammo, they know the price it's selling for on the Auction Sites. I'm going to wait to see how this plays out, I have enough to set on right now, but could be making a mistake, still that $180's twice what I paid a few Months back, beside I still have 1,600 Toke Brass to load.

Curious?

Thanks for the Heads Up,

This is getting better than an Agatha Christe Novel.
Ed

HARRYMPOPE
08-25-2011, 11:25 PM
I think $150 is tops for that ammo.It's worth what it sells for i guess?

George

Eddie O
08-26-2011, 12:48 AM
The Lyman 49 manual list 4.7gr to 5.5gr of HP-38 for an 85gr lead boolit.

Thanks,

I plan on shooting a 100 Grain Boolet, but I'm all for safety, I'll go with the Lyman recommendation, especially since I'm using a LEE Crimp Die which will raise the Chamber pressure.

Worst to happen with the lower Charge in the Toke won't Cycle and I'll clear the Dozen test Rounds by firing them one at a time.

Best to happen I wont have to learn to sign my name Left Handed.

It's great to have a group of guys looking out for your best interest and not making an A_ _ out of you because you may have miscalculated a Reload.

Thanks,

Ed

9.3X62AL
08-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Maybe all the buccaneers figured out that people aren't going to pay through the nose for ammo or components any more. At the Reno Gun Show last weekend, Winchester and CCI primers went for $100/sleeve of 5K and the same $20/K. Of course, the local soak center still has their primers "rationed" at 100 per type per day, $3.50 per 100. That guy needs to get out more, methinks. That kinda marketing BS used to fly before the Internet existed--no mas, cabron.

Another very good source of 7.62 x 25 brass is the Winchester White Box stuff in that caliber. I snag a box or 2 every time it goes on sale, and have about 200 rounds on hand. The brass reloads well, and crimps bullets/boolits nicely. The factory ammo runs perfectly in my Broomhandle, the ChiCom Tokarev, and the CZ-52. Boxer-primed, and the pockets are perfect for SP primer fit.

Eddie O
08-26-2011, 03:54 AM
Maybe all the buccaneers figured out that people aren't going to pay through the nose for ammo or components any more. At the Reno Gun Show last weekend, Winchester and CCI primers went for $100/sleeve of 5K and the same $20/K. Of course, the local soak center still has their primers "rationed" at 100 per type per day, $3.50 per 100. That guy needs to get out more, methinks. That kinda marketing BS used to fly before the Internet existed--no mas, cabron.

Another very good source of 7.62 x 25 brass is the Winchester White Box stuff in that caliber. I snag a box or 2 every time it goes on sale, and have about 200 rounds on hand. The brass reloads well, and crimps bullets/boolits nicely. The factory ammo runs perfectly in my Broomhandle, the ChiCom Tokarev, and the CZ-52. Boxer-primed, and the pockets are perfect for SP primer fit.

I hope so, I would so love to see the Gunbroker Bandits Star the Female part in a Johnny Holmes Movie.

The only good thing to come from all of this is I broke out my reloading equipment and met some nice folks.

Ed

buyobuyo
08-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks,

I plan on shooting a 100 Grain Boolet, but I'm all for safety, I'll go with the Lyman recommendation, especially since I'm using a LEE Crimp Die which will raise the Chamber pressure.

Worst to happen with the lower Charge in the Toke won't Cycle and I'll clear the Dozen test Rounds by firing them one at a time.

Best to happen I wont have to learn to sign my name Left Handed.

It's great to have a group of guys looking out for your best interest and not making an A_ _ out of you because you may have miscalculated a Reload.

Thanks,

Ed

I must have missed the part where you said you planned on shooting a 100gr boolit. You original post stated the 85gr boolit.

As projectile weight goes up you need to drop your charge weight, so even 4.7gr maybe a mid-range or near max load with a 100gr boolit. I'd drop the starting load down to 3.0-3.5gr and work up slow from there.

9.3X62AL
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
The only good thing to come from all of this is I broke out my reloading equipment and met some nice folks.

This site's growth spurt paralleled the Great Obama Ammo & Components Shortage of 2009-11, and A LOT of folks re-discovered the almost lost art of boolit casting. Tough times show us who the real dealers are, and lay out the parasites pretty plainly as well.

As for J&G Sales in Prescott, AZ.......dealt with them quite a bit back when I ran a part time Type 01 FFL shop, and they always treated the small dealers quite well. Years later, I had a chance to visit their retail site in Prescott, and they have A LOT of stuff on display in a decent showroom that makes up a small portion of their grounds.

bumpo628
08-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I bought all my surplus Tok ammo at J&G Sales. Good outfit.
When I bought it I was stocking up for the Kalifornia AB962 ammo ban. I got lucky and picked it up for $100 a can. The point is that they were the lowest price at the time and they were not gouging.

I'm sure that the supplies of surplus 7.62x25 just dried up. J&G must have found a small stash and they're selling it at a price according to what it cost them. It has clearly been going for about $250 per can on gunbroker for quite a while now.

HARRYMPOPE
08-26-2011, 11:08 PM
115g 311416 Lyman with 4g Bullseye.

Four 5 shot groups in PPS 43 at 25 yards 1.5-2".Load functioned wonderfully.
i will chronograph Sunday AM

George

Eddie O
08-27-2011, 12:32 AM
I must have missed the part where you said you planned on shooting a 100gr boolit. You original post stated the 85gr boolit.

As projectile weight goes up you need to drop your charge weight, so even 4.7gr maybe a mid-range or near max load with a 100gr boolit. I'd drop the starting load down to 3.0-3.5gr and work up slow from there.

Your right on both counts,

Originally I was going to buy a 85 Grain Mold, but already having a 100 Grain .32 Cal Mold I decided to go with that one and size and lube the Rounds with Alox at .309. I have several TT's the tightest came out with a .308 Bore.
I have two CZ's that slugged out at about .311/.312 but I would rather not take a chance and not size and accidentally run a .312 Bullet down a .308 Toke Bore.

I''m casting my Lead Hard, thus the advertised 100 Grain Boolet is coming out at about 96.5 Grains.
If I read it correctly, I have a Chart (from Makarov.com), that list a 93 Grain Lead Round Round Nose Bullet at 3.5 Grains of HP 38 as a Starting Load for the 93 Grain Lead Round Nose.

If I had mistakenly said otherwise, the starting numbers I had been toying with are 3.2 to 3.7 Grains of HP 38 pushing a Alox Lubed and .309 sized 96.5 Grain Lead Round Nose Boolet out of a TT33.

By the way a .309 sized LEE .32 Cal. Cast Boolet is dimensionally exactly the same size as a 85 Grain FMJ Bullet I pulled from a Surplus 7.62X25 Round. Which should make Boolet seating a breeze.

If the 3.2 - 3.7 starting numbers are still heavy for those conditions I'm still good to adjust. I've cast about 1.000 Boolets (Free,Don't ya love it), Have 1,600 Cases I haven't Primed yet and several Lbs of HP 38 waiting on my shelf.

All I need is that final decision on where to start and am still open too suggestion.

Thanks for all the help,

Ed

Eddie O
08-27-2011, 12:55 AM
I bought all my surplus Tok ammo at J&G Sales. Good outfit.
When I bought it I was stocking up for the Kalifornia AB962 ammo ban. I got lucky and picked it up for $100 a can. The point is that they were the lowest price at the time and they were not gouging.

I'm sure that the supplies of surplus 7.62x25 just dried up. J&G must have found a small stash and they're selling it at a price according to what it cost them. It has clearly been going for about $250 per can on gunbroker for quite a while now.

Sounds like a good time to put away another Spam Can. I know there are some Bandits out there right now planning on killing the remainder of that Stock.

Good Tip,

Ed

starreloader
08-27-2011, 01:24 AM
Eddie O, you might want to try stopping in at X-RING SUPPLY, on Rt 273 just east of the city limits of Newark... Good friendly gun shop, and Bobby or Warner can generally find what you are looking for... Haven't been to Elk Neck for a couple of years now, use to shoot at the pistol
range 2 or 3 times a week.. Now shoot at Atglen.

Eddie O
08-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Eddie O, you might want to try stopping in at X-RING SUPPLY, on Rt 273 just east of the city limits of Newark... Good friendly gun shop, and Bobby or Warner can generally find what you are looking for... Haven't been to Elk Neck for a couple of years now, use to shoot at the pistol
range 2 or 3 times a week.. Now shoot at Atglen.

Thanks Starreloader,

Checked and entered the Location on my GPS, it's actually a quick drive for me [smilie=2:. Theres is absolutely no Reloader supplies in N.E. Md. mostly Pawn Shops.

The Winds picking up now and I've got my fingers crossed I'll be able to visit them next Week. How does the Movie saying go "I LOVE THE SMELL OF A GUNSHOP IN THE MORNING"

Thanks for the tip. Gotta go set the Generator up, just in case, hope to continue this Thread :coffeecom, it got a lot of play and I met some nice knowledgeable folks, seems there is a lot of differing opinions and work arounds on that toke Round. :Luvcastboolits:

Hope to post some pictures and a Range Report soon. Elk Neck is a good Family Friendly Range, the Wife and I always get a Season pass, considering doing some volunteer work up there next Year. :guntootsmiley:

Thanks for the Hello.

Ed

HARRYMPOPE
08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
4g B.E.
CCI pistol primer
Ideal 3118 115g 309 sized (low left group is lyman 311316)
1245 fps 19 SD

25 yards muzzle rest only

Polish PPS 43 c

Eddie O
08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
4g B.E.
CCI pistol primer
Ideal 3118 115g 309 sized (low left group is lyman 311316)
1245 fps 19 SD

25 yards muzzle rest only

Polish PPS 43 c

Nice Weapon, unfortunately Anti-Gun sentiment will preclude me from ever owing one because of the 20 Round restriction in Md, Damm Liberals,
Stupid, it's not like I could swap two or three 20 Round Mags in a second or two.

I take it you were using 115 Grain lyman sized to .309 (using Gas Checks?), what powder were you using, 4g B.E. ?
I wonder how that heavy a round would work in a Toke?
Or did I misread your Load Data?

Thanks,
Ed

HARRYMPOPE
08-29-2011, 10:48 PM
load data is 4.0 of bulls eye and a the 3118 plainbase 115g bullet.the 3118 MAY BE too long? for the toke but the 311316 might be fine.

10 at 50 yards with the 3118

9 of 10 were good anyhow

Eddie O
08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
Damm Harry, your quick.
I'll note the Round as a anorther possibility.

Thanks,
Ed

Eddie O
08-30-2011, 12:28 AM
I'm sure I'll start with my LEE .32 100 Grain Mold, My Lead mix is trowing at about 96.5 Grains, If I opt to try the Bulls Eye Powder do you think a 4.2 Grain starting Load may be in order.

My Tokes are measuring around .309 so I will most likely size my .312 Lead with the .309 Sizer. I don't see a need for a Gas Check?

I notice you specify you use CCI Primers, to a Master Boolet Maker like yourself does a Primer actually make a difference in accuracy.

Thanks for taking the time to assist a Novice Boolet Maker.

Thanks,
Ed

HARRYMPOPE
08-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm sure I'll start with my LEE .32 100 Grain Mold, My Lead mix is trowing at about 96.5 Grains, If I opt to try the Bulls Eye Powder do you think a 4.2 Grain starting Load may be in order.

My Tokes are measuring around .309 so I will most likely size my .312 Lead with the .309 Sizer. I don't see a need for a Gas Check?

I notice you specify you use CCI Primers, to a Master Boolet Maker like yourself does a Primer actually make a difference in accuracy.

Thanks for taking the time to assist a Novice Boolet Maker.

Thanks,
Ed

master bullet caster is a stretch!!

A buddy uses 5g as a standard with 85-90 grainers.I have used that load with the SAECO #325 bullet as well but not chronographed it.I think 4g would be a good starting load.A GC would probably help at the higher velocity but finding a design for one under 115g is hard.if you get leading just shoot a couple jacketed to clean it out.I dont think primer has much to do with accuracy with these loads and i just happened to grab CCI's out of the box rather than Winchester or Federal.

George

Eddie O
08-31-2011, 04:09 AM
master bullet caster is a stretch!!

A buddy uses 5g as a standard with 85-90 grainers.I have used that load with the SAECO #325 bullet as well but not chronographed it.I think 4g would be a good starting load.A GC would probably help at the higher velocity but finding a design for one under 115g is hard.if you get leading just shoot a couple jacketed to clean it out.I dont think primer has much to do with accuracy with these loads and i just happened to grab CCI's out of the box rather than Winchester or Federal.

George

Not so much a stretch, I'm at the point when a "real Boolet maker" can put me on the right track where I can developer a good Round from the information supplied,

However I hold the highest respect for those Reloaders experienced enough to recommend those starting components from the knowledge they hold, and are willing to share it with beginning Reloaders like myself.

It been a pleasure talking to you and adding a new Round to my Notebook.
Ed

bruce drake
08-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Eddie,

The 100 yard range is at the same location as the pistol range unless they shut down the rifle range since I left in 2004. It is a three prong range. Bow at the beginning of the parking lot, the pistol on the left side of the access road by the outhouse and the rifle on the left.

Bruce

HARRYMPOPE
09-01-2011, 12:40 AM
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=7741&forum_id=4

a good link to Ed Harris 762 x 25 experience

Eddie O
09-02-2011, 04:56 AM
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=7741&forum_id=4

a good link to Ed Harris 762 x 25 experience

Thanks George,

I plan on putting together both a Plinking and Defensive Load for my three Tokes. I have the Yugo, Rome and Polish as well as a CZ. I've been trying to line up a Russian up but the price is just too high, maybe I'll get lucky, need to be careful. I understand some folks have slapped on Russian Grips and tried to pass it as the real thing.

Did find a nice deal at AIM, Came in today. I got a P64 Polish "Makarov 9X18 Wanna Be" for $149 with two Original Mags, Original Black Leather Holster and Cleaning Rod, fully functional, Good Bore and all in good Plus Condition. Only problems Holster Blue wear at the Slide Tip and the grip nut was missing, $2 worth or repair. At the price a was going to buy it for parts, but now it's going to go in the Range Bag, looks like I need to load some more 9X18

The Article you directed me to was Great, I see a lot of gunners are having a lot of fun with this Hot Round and I expect many more will chime in as the last of the Surplus Ammo dries up.

My Tokes all come in around .308 -.309 but the CZ reads a Bore Slug at .312, not sure why, Sloppy, Normal or Shot Out. I intend to size my Lead at .309.

Not happy about putting a Hot .312 Round down a .308 Toke Bore, maybe it won’t matter, but why take a chance? I don't know enough about chamber Pressure to know the results of that,

Again, thanks for a good read,

Ed

destrux
01-25-2013, 12:49 AM
My CZ52 also slugs out to .312, with a brand new surplus barrel. Accuracy with factory ammo is not great, 8 inches at 25yds at best. My old barrel also slugged at .312" and shot poorly, which is why I tried a new one. I'm hoping loading .311" 71gr Magtech FMJ bullets intended for .32ACP will help with accuracy.

Eddie O
01-26-2013, 07:20 PM
My CZ52 also slugs out to .312, with a brand new surplus barrel. Accuracy with factory ammo is not great, 8 inches at 25yds at best. My old barrel also slugged at .312" and shot poorly, which is why I tried a new one. I'm hoping loading .311" 71gr Magtech FMJ bullets intended for .32ACP will help with accuracy.

Interesting, If the load works how about posting your Load Data. 8" at 25 Yards my Smooth Bore Flintlocks shoot better than that, it must have been a bitch to spend the price for a new Barrel only to find the same problem. I've had good luck with my CZ's I don't understand the reason for the oversize Bore?

Ed

habba8
02-11-2013, 06:56 PM
I use 4.7 gr of 231 under a Lee 100gr LRN and 5.4 under the 90gr Hornady XTP with excellent results in my Tokarev. I size the .311 Lee bullet down to .309 btw

my 2 cents

destrux
02-21-2013, 10:17 PM
I tried to load the .311 magtechs and it seems to be a no go because they wont chamber. I'll be ordering the Lee .309 sizer and resizing them. I need to reslug the bore too because now I'm not so sure I used a pure lead slug so it might not have been accurate.

9.3X62AL
02-24-2013, 09:46 PM
I had similar experiences with my ChiCom Tok, a Type 54. It boiled down to the chamber neck having insufficient clearance to accomodate a reformed 9mm Win Mag case and a .311" bullet/boolit seated within same. While the PROPER thing to have done would have been a chamber re-cut.......I opted to ream the case mouths a bit. I resized 100 pieces of brass minus the expander assembly, then used a 30 caliber Forster neck reamer on that lot of brass. This fix worked, and still does.

My CZ-52's barrel has .309" throat and grooves, and .309" boolits feed well and shoot service-accurately--2" to 4" at 25 yards, depending on bullet/boolit, load, and velocity. I have an *interesting* mould design--Lyman #311419, a 92 grain gas-check that falls free @ .312"+. I haven't yet fired these through the 7.25 x 25s, I need to get about it.