PDA

View Full Version : question about gas checked bolits

jixxerbill
08-14-2011, 01:01 AM
i been casting for a while now for my 9mm, .40, and .45 but i have never used gas checks...i found a good deal on a 35 rem barrel for my contender, im going to cast for it and use gas checks,, 1) can you install gas checks on a star machine and if so do you still put the slugs nose down??? ..2) do i need to size them to .359 which is .001 over jacketed bullets like i do all my pistol calibers.. or with the gas check do you size to .358????... thanks for replys as always....bill

357 Voodoo
08-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Bill the with the star place the gc on the boolit place in sizer like you normally would any other boolit and size. You will need to run a lubed boolit back threw a little more often other wise it starts getting a little difficult. The size should be 1-2 thou over groove.

PacMan
08-14-2011, 12:46 PM
What Voodo said about the Star.
As Voodo said about the size is good also except some rifles like even fatter bullets. If your molds cast larger than grove dia and it will chamber as cast i would try that for sure. Somtimes shooting a bullet that will just alloy you to chamber the round will help allign the bullet to the throat and gives you a better launch. My Marlin has .357 grove dia but it will chamber up to a .360 (no more) and shoots better for sure.