PDA

View Full Version : Bore Slugging Mold

tchepone
08-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know if a multi-cavity mold is available for producing Bore Slugs? Do any of the CB Vendor Sponsors produce such a mold?
I am thinking of a 4 cavity covering four calibers all in one block. I have used fishing weights, round balls, etc., and all leave something to be desired. I would be interested in such a mold for 38, 40, 44, 45 calibers. I would like the mold block to fit RCBS or SAECO handles.

CB Vendor Sponsor's, if you produce such a mold, please PM me with any questions and pricing. Thank you.

tchepone

dromia
08-13-2011, 09:16 PM
This would be better posted in the Group Buy discussion forum and linked through to this post.

tchepone
08-13-2011, 09:19 PM
This would be better posted in the Group Buy discussion forum and linked through to this post.
Sorry...OK, how do I move it?
Thanks...

tchepone

dromia
08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
No need to apologise its not necessarilly in the "wrong" place I just think you would get a better response in the GB discussion forum so I suggest that you put another post up there and then edit and link it through to this thread, covers all the bases for you.

I'd be in for such a mould in rifle calibres.

tchepone
08-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Dromia:

Thanks; I re-posted in the GB discussion, but haven't figured out the linking process yet.
I also saw a similar post, in the GB forum, by Idaho Sharpshooter. I believe there would be a demand for such a mold. Lets hope one of the Vendor Sponsor's picks up on it.

tchepone

dromia
08-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Here's alink to the GB thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=124725

mooman76
08-13-2011, 10:58 PM
You could look at the fishing sinker moulds that come in multiple sizes in the same mould. Or it may be cheaper to buy a couple 2 or 3 Lee RB moulds. Even used ones.

noylj
08-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Personally, I think that for what Lee charges for custom molds, you could easily have them make one for you. I would like to know if Cerro-Safe could be used? I know lots of folks who should slug their barrels, but they don't cast bullets.
Where do you find LEAD fishing sinkers? As far as I know, they are illegal. I am finding any sources of lead to be quickly disappearing ..

Tatume
08-14-2011, 07:24 AM
Try Veral Smith at LBT ( http://lbtmoulds.com/ ); he'll probably make the mold for you. However, unless you're going to slug an awful lot of guns, it might be to your advantage to just let him sell you some slugs.

Bob Krack
08-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Someone here was selling a/some "egg sinker" moulds in various sizes - seems like 5 or 6 sizes in one mould. Might be the easiest way.

Where would be the best place to place a "want built for me custom mould"?

There are a lot of members here that have the tooling and ability to do that.

Bob

Calamity Jake
08-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I just cast pure lead boolits for the gun I want to slug. If the pure boolit isn't big enough I beagle the mold.

mooman76
08-14-2011, 10:57 AM
This has been brought up before and always dies out. Do you really want to spend $60+ on a custom mould you will only use once or maybe twice?

cajun shooter
08-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Most people that I have seen try to slug the bore of a gun do several things wrong that makes it hard.
A friend of mine showed me his slugs at a SASS match and said he was not able to get good readings. He used the bell shaped fishing weights and only had the very small middle section to try and receive a reading.
I think but can't be sure that I received lead slugs from Veral that looked like wad cutter bullets with a small tail on each one.
The best that I have used are the egg shaped ones with plenty of oil and a heavy brass rod from Lowe's
I think that Veral sells his for a good price in bags of 10.

Mal Paso
08-14-2011, 11:04 AM
I just cast pure lead boolits for the gun I want to slug. If the pure boolit isn't big enough I beagle the mold.

+1 And if they cast too small I hit them on the nose with a hammer and they fatten up.

XWrench3
08-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I suggested this very idea to lee precision. They basicly ignored the idea. What i do now is take a soft lead bullet of the correct bore size and squash it in a vise until it "grows".005". Then lube the heck out of everything, and drive it through. I hope this helps.

tchepone
08-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Gentlemen:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll contact Veral Smith and see what he can provide. I'd still like to have such a mold.

As to lead sinkers, I haven't purchased them in many years and I am not aware they are illegal. I am not happy, actually confident, with my results in using them. I have the egg shaped ones with a small hole in the center, I think they are actually spinner weights. Something I bought at Herter's, eons ago when they had a store in Wisconsin.

Cajun Shooter...[Most people that I have seen try to slug the bore of a gun do several things wrong that makes it hard.]
My process, clean the bore, find a slug that is slightly larger than bore diameter, oil it and the bore with 5 weight motor oil, drive it through with an aluminum rod or hardwood dowel, measure with a micrometer. Seems like a pretty simple process. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Cerro-safe..interesting idea. I have a block of the stuff, just never used it for anything but chamber casts, duh.

Thanks to all, this is the best forum on the 'net tchepone