PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Ranch Dog Issues

wussfacekiller
08-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Been lurking around these forums, and the rest of the internet for an answer to my problem, but have yet to find it. I finally bit the boolit (heh) and registered to post here to get this solved.

I recently started reloading for my Marlin 30-30 Win rifle using the Ranch Dog TLC311-165-RF bullet mold. I'm using wheel weights and water quenching them to get them nice and hard. I then run them through a Lee .310 sizing die and lube with liquid alox. I trim my cases using the lee case trimmer and then chamfer/debur them.

I use a Lyman M die to flare the mouth of the case to accept my over sized lead boolit... just enough to get it started without shaving any lead.

I then load the cases with 25 grains of IMR 3031 and seat the bullet to the crimp groove, giving me an OAL of 2.5"

Now here's the problem... I've loaded 200 rounds this way, and without any noticeable leading in the barrel or chamber, or loss of accuracy towards the end of the day, I have a ring of lead around the mouth of all 200 cases i shot.

I cannot figure out why this is happening and it is a severe pain to have to clean this lead off of all of my cases. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

dodgyrog
08-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Are they gas checked?

wussfacekiller
08-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Yes, forgot to mention that... they are gas checked using the Hornady 30 cal. gas checks

NHlever
08-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Hmm, you are probalby running about 20,000 psi., and that is fine though perhaps a bit light for that powder. The only guess I can make is that your bore/groove diameters are quite a bit smaller than the throat in your chamber, and the lead may be swaging down enough entering the bore to push some lead back, and on to your case necks. I would try some unsized, and if they chamber freely give them a shot. I think the lead on the case will be less, but I could be way off base here. You should see some difference there that will guide you to the next step. Seems to me that I saw that with one gun l loaded for many, many years ago, but I don't remember finding out why. :D

Gohon
08-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Chamfer the case mouths and increase the bevel just a tad.

10x
08-13-2011, 10:41 AM
I suspect the bullet is just a tad too large and is shaving as the bullet enters the throat.
Resize the bullets 0.001" smaller and see if it still happens.
There may be a sharp edge in your chamber that shaves a small bit of lead from each bullet as it enters as well.
The gas check separates the bullet from the powder and seals the bore so the lead is getting there before the bullet is fired.
You may want to talk to a gunsmith about polishing the throat and neck of the chamber - but going to a bullet 0.001" smaller may solve this issue.

cast-n-blast
08-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Try adding a few grains more of powder, to raise pressure, so case neck expands more, sealing the chamber better from blowback. Low pressure loads with jacketed bullets leave a carbon ring for the same reason, on case necks .

For low velocity rounds, I always use pistol powders, for increased pressure, just for that reason. No leading or carbon fouling even with plain base cast bullets.

onondaga
08-13-2011, 12:23 PM
You got a lot of things to try now. I'll add another. You mention seating to the crimp groove. Are you roll crimping or using a Lee factory Crimp? Too much crimp can cause the leading you describe.

I had a similar problem and the Lee Tech dept. gave me a suggestion that worked for me. I was incorrectly crimping .007". Set the Lee FCD to crimp .003- .005" for a light to heavy crimp. Measure the amount of crimp on the case mouth and then 1/16 away from the crimp with a micrometer. If you are crimping more than .005", that is beyond recommendation and can cause the leading you describe and even worse leading problems also as the boolit passes through the tight crimp it can be reduced excessively and leave a situation to set up gas cutting of your boolit before there is enough pressure for the boolit and gas check to seal.

EDK
08-13-2011, 02:12 PM
I would tinker with die adjustments BEFORE reducing the boolit diameter. Most people think .311 is the right size for MARLINS...I've considered having Lathesmith or Buckshot make a .312 or .313. I'd check the diameter of the M die and re-adjust the crimp die from the minimum on up.

Other problems could be case length. My LYMAN #47 handbook quotes factory length as 2.039 and trim-to length as 2.028. That's quite a difference.

Also, are you tumble lubing a second time after sizing and seating the gas check?

You might look over at lasc.us and see if Glenn Fryxell has any articles that might help. Glenn is THE MAN on cast boolits...a wealth of information.

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

wussfacekiller
08-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the answers guys... i'll give em a try and let you know if I can find a solution.

paul edward
08-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Have you considered annealing the necks of your cases?

It might be worth trying on a small batch to see if it makes a difference.