PDA

View Full Version : How accurate is a cheap chrony?

Canuck Bob
08-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Would like a chrony but budget would only allow the cheap versions. Any suggestions or warnings?

HangFireW8
08-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Hmm. I have no way of really calibrating and validating my Shooting Crony brand equipment readings.

It has earned my trust, though, because everything it does makes sense. When I feel a light load, it reads a low velocity. When I do a load ladder, it steps up with the load.

Best of all, Sierra's listed velocities for .30-06 loads (and their j-words, of course) seem like they were developed in my own rifle- I get pretty much exactly what they list for a given load.

303Guy
08-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Good question. For me the only 'cheap' chrony available was the Chrony. I paid a little extra for the one with the remote display. Mind you, it was cheap because it was 'on special'. I never doubted the accuracy and when I did finally get round to using it, it confirmed my estimated velocity ......8-)
Well, to see if it was actually working I fired a 22LR sub-sonic over it and got a reading of 1045fps which happens to be pretty much what the ammo box claimed. It's hard to imagine that these things could be less than accurate but it would depend on the exact spacing of the screens and maybe possibly the accuracy of the counter oscillator which realistically would be pretty good. So I would say that one should simply measure the distance between screens to assess the accuracy. Repeatability should be very good. That's what I think anyway![smilie=1:

JJC
08-13-2011, 12:41 AM
I have the cheap one also. Never thought about it till now. I agree with what has been said. One thing I would suggest is take along a rimfire. Shoot that first to make sure you are lined up correctly, before moving on to business. Learned that quick using up my test ammo to get things lined out.

Echo
08-13-2011, 01:07 AM
"Accuracy" isn't as important as "Reliability". Do we really care if the chrony is off a few fps, as long as it gives the same reading for the same ammo?

303Guy
08-13-2011, 01:19 AM
... as long as it gives the same reading for the same ammo? Exactly. And triggers with every shot!

The importance of the level of accuracy can be illustrastrated by how long it took me to actually use mine - long after the warrenty had expired!

beex215
08-13-2011, 05:02 AM
just test it with some factory ammo. i know whats on the box can be stated and not produce its results. if its close enough and gives a consistent result, its a winner.

firefly1957
08-13-2011, 05:57 AM
I am sure the current ones have gotten better than the first generation and I am still happy with my old one. Two notes on it though A). It requires a new alkaline battery (9 volts) to work well and B). muzzle flash is the most common reason for the error indicator to come on.
I have used it on everything for compound bow (156 fps with heaviest arrow) pellet guns and even Remington 30-06 accelerators at 4166 fps out of 22 inch barrel. Biggest problems have been from pistols with heavy muzzle flash like a Contender 10 inch barrel in 30-30. I ended up moving chrony about 50 feet away to quit getting wild readings on that one.

Tatume
08-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Although I've never come up with a way to calibrate the Chrony brand chronograph, I have done comparison testing what an Oehler. By setting them up so the bullet passes through both, the speeds can be compared. There is no way to know if one or the other is correct; indeed, probably neither one is right. But the fact that they consistantly agree to within a few fps tells me that both are probably close.

Take care, Tom

Stampede
08-13-2011, 06:51 AM
I used a Chrony AM and a CED-2, my first one was the Chrony and after a couple of years I bought the CED. And in the beginning I used them both to see if there were any speed differences, and I could not find any !

But I liked the CED for the extra features and used it up to last year……now I use the Chrony again…. Why you might think. Well a shooting buddy of mine thought he could try the CED with his Zouave. After the very first shot he shot it to thousands of pieces, he did not check the line up. The CED was beyond any recognition. He paid/compensated me for a new one, but I still have the old Chrony and it’s back in use. My buddy was so in shock that he never will try to shoot trough a Chrony again, maybe better that way.;-)

As I mentioned before, I can’t find any differences in the measuring results.

Peter (Stampede)

41mag
08-13-2011, 06:59 AM
I looked at it like this, I have yet to find anyone fast enough with a stop watch to time my loads...

Right on the money or off by 200fps, you can usually double check your readings with any of the ballistic programs and drop testing to get close enough for any type of hunting.

This said, I have used the original model since it came out and it still reads within a few FPS of the second one I purchased a couple of years ago. I use them both for working up loads, developing drop charts, and also for checking out my bows.

For the money your not getting a ballistic lab by any stretch, but you will be getting a tool which can be used effectively to work up your loads or check yours against factory. The key is not thinking about it in absolute terms, but in relative terms. In other words if X brand of ammo list a velocity of 2950fps and your only getting 2750fps over your Chrony, then that is YOUR standard to work with. With the BC of the X brand bullet you can easily figure out with a simple drop from 100 to 200yd or further if you have it, if your velocity is within the real numbers or not. Even with this your NOT going to get the same results from that load as the factory did. So you simply use the numbers as a RELATIVE comparison to what yours should do.

For the money and to the average handloader I fell they are just as important as a set of calipers, or a powder scale. Can you get by without either of those, yep, but why would you want to?

Bret4207
08-13-2011, 07:33 AM
just test it with some factory ammo. i know whats on the box can be stated and not produce its results. if its close enough and gives a consistent result, its a winner.

What the box claims and what you actually get often vary widely. And I don't think it's the Chrony that's lying.

Greg in va
08-13-2011, 07:46 AM
I have a chrony and a Pact, several times I have set them up with the chrony inside the Pact and shot thru both at the same time, in all cases the readings were within a few feet per second.

Greg in VA

pipehand
08-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Am on my second Chrony. First one died due to a shotload in a 45 Colt revolver.
Make sure that the fold up body is fully unfolded as that is what controlls the screen spacing. Correct spacing is the main accuracy factor no matter the cost of the chronograph.

btroj
08-13-2011, 09:47 AM
They are accurate enough for my needs. As for stats, etc, I can get those off the computer later. I am mostly interested in the average velocity anyway.

southpaw
08-13-2011, 11:15 AM
I use mine mostly as a tool to satisfy my curiosity. If I plan on shooting a critter at a certain range I shoot my guns at that range to make sure that I KNOW where I am hitting. So far my findings have confirmed what the crony has said.

Jerry Jr.

PS it is the crony brand.

Shiloh
08-13-2011, 11:29 AM
IIRC, from my Chrony to a buddies, the difference was about 33 fps average. this is with .30 cal around the 1760 fps area.

About 20 fps with .40 S&W. Close enough for me.

dudel
08-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Of the ones I tried (cheap) Chrony and more expensive (CED M2), the velocities are pretty much consistent.

The difference I found, was that the cheap ones had less tolerance for where you could place the projectile and still get a reading. The cheap ones also seem to be more sensitive as to lighting. As a result, the cheap ones failed to detect more shots. This is a problem if you do your load workups in small batches. If you load 5-10 rounds of a specific combination, you want all of them to register.

I also didn't like shooting at the electronics, but that's me.

The more expensive ones had more features. I really like the PC upload on my CED M2 as well as the voice feature which I never thought I'd care for.

montana_charlie
08-13-2011, 12:18 PM
So, most replies say that the Chrony gives about the same readings as more expensive units.

Now, you get to decide how much money you are willing to put in a position where it can (and is likely to) collect bullet holes.

CM

Wayne Smith
08-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Only way I've come to rely on to check my CED - once had it set for 2ft rather than 4ft spread distance - was to check it with good .22 ammo. The stated speed on those rounds are right close to what I found. These were CCI rounds.

Tatume
08-13-2011, 01:54 PM
There is one way I've thought about to calibrate a chronograph. Set up a large wooden "propeller" on a motor and let it spin. Move the chronograph under the tip of the blades. Under subdued lighting an instrument like the Chrony can be operated without the light baffles. The RPM of the device can be measured pretty easily, and the speed of the tips can be calculated from the rpm.

scb
08-13-2011, 02:57 PM
What the box claims and what you actually get often vary widely. And I don't think it's the Chrony that's lying.

Yup. Ballistics on the box are more about advertising than accurate information. I know - hard to believe ain't it.

williamwaco
08-13-2011, 03:02 PM
The cheapest electronics technology is at least a thousand times more accurate than the mechanical spacing between the screens. The main difference between the cheap and expensive is in bullet detection and ease of use.

I AGREE WITH THE ABOVE. DO NOT BUY ONE THAT HAS THE ELECTRONICS IN THE DETECTOR FRAME. SOONER OR LATER YOU WILL HIT THIS FRAME WITH A BULLET.

Kraschenbirn
08-13-2011, 03:44 PM
When I got my new (red) Chrony with memory and remote read-out, I checked a couple of my CB loads that I'd first clocked on my old (green) Chrony. Average velocities matched up within less than 1% for both loads.

Bill

303Guy
08-13-2011, 06:02 PM
... check it with good .22 ammo. The stated speed on those rounds are right close to what I found. These were CCI rounds. Yup. That's what I found with the same brand. Subsonics.

soldierbilly1
08-14-2011, 05:17 AM
run it against against another known 'pricier' chrony and see how the results compare. A previous poster did such and said about 33 fps on 1700. when I checked my more frugal chrony against my bud's, it was better than that!
My Shooters Chrony works as good as any other Ive seen. Buy with confidence, its electronics!
good luck
Bill boy

Lloyd Smale
08-14-2011, 06:49 AM
My buddy has a ohler that was sent in and calibrated by them. My first chrony was 200 fps fast accross the board compared to his and it burned out after a year. They wanted more to fix it then i paid for it so i bought another it was about a 100 fps fast and was even more finiky about light conditions then the first so i gave it away and bought a pact. The pact is within 25 fps plus or minus with any reading we gotten compared to the ohler and has be very reliable.

1Shirt
08-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Am of the opinion that as long as I get consistant readings within acceptable published standards for load data I couldn't care less Scarlet! Life is not exact, and I don't think very much electronic is either-to many variables!
1Shirt!:coffee:

zomby woof
08-14-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a cheap Chrony. The only problems I have is with the sun. I have the shades on. If I'm in the shade and the sun is popping through the trees, I'll get some wild results.

gunslinger20
08-15-2011, 09:33 AM
I have a cheap Chrony. The only problems I have is with the sun. I have the shades on. If I'm in the shade and the sun is popping through the trees, I'll get some wild results.

I have the same problems with the master bata chrony. Sent it back for repair= too sensitive same problem. Do the other brands do this also? I had an old F-1 that worked greate untill it died.

Mal Paso
08-15-2011, 10:43 AM

I found a way to improve the Chrony's ability to see the boolit. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=95846

Adverse lighting will affect most chronographs ability to see the boolit. With a little help the Shooting Chrony can be Very Reliable.

pdawg_shooter
08-15-2011, 11:49 AM
About all I used my pact for is checking and adjusting loads when I change powder lots. Other than that I am more concerned with accuracy.

fredj338
08-15-2011, 03:34 PM
The cheap Chrony is accurate, just not very reliable. The problem is the small poor quaityt screens. If you can get the bullet perfectly placed it reads, if not, error. IMO, spend the extra $100 & get the CED. Good system, good screens, easy to setup & use.
I've shot the CED, my Oehler (best IMO) & the Chrnoy BM, back to back to back. The Chrnoy missed as many as 50% of the shots, the CED maybe 5% & the Oehler none. When they would all read, they were within 10fps of each other. All the Chrony line have the same crappy screens regardless of price. You pay more for other features ,but the heart of any chronograph are the screens. If you only need a chrono to check PF, you can get by w/ a Chrony. If you use a chrono for load development, then you need a better one IMO, it's not worth the frustration.

mpmarty
08-15-2011, 09:51 PM
I've got the red Chrony with remote display and printer. I love it. I have no problems with it not recording every shot and the readouts seem to be quite repeatable.

canyon-ghost
08-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Same here, had an F1 Chrony. It was fine, even used a friends to check against. Never gave me a lot of trouble.