PDA

View Full Version : Lee Microscope from Hardness Tester

BudRow
01-20-2007, 04:19 AM
I bought a Lee Hardness Tester and was dissappointed to find the microscope wasn't made correctly. I have a tool & die background and have used these pocket microscopes before. All of my previous experiences with these has been that the bevel cut at the base is always opposite the user. This way the light is admitted in front of the user. The Lee scope I returned to the factory had this bevel 90 degrees out of phase. Lee said they would send me another one to replace mine. Well I got the replacement and behold it suffered from the same problem! My second corespondence with Lee informed me that the bevel cut is made at random. I find this an aggravating nuisance to use. For those of you that have this item, are your scopes made in this haphazard way?
Best Wishes, Bud

Bret4207
01-20-2007, 09:57 AM
I use a lot of Lee stuff, but some of it is truly "LOW BID".

Pawpaw
01-20-2007, 10:43 AM
WHile we're talking about those microscopes, how is the best way to use one? I've played with my set a little bit, but have yet to have any confidence in my measurements. Is there some correct way to use the scope?

BudRow
01-20-2007, 11:10 AM
I have managed to affix my scope to an ajustable dial indicator stand and clamp the boolit sample in a machinist vise. This eliminates the "shake" and focus error once everything is aligned - I really would prefer that the light be opposite me but I guess I will have to live with shoddy assembled unit. Best Wishes, Bud

montana_charlie
01-20-2007, 02:44 PM
My second corespondence with Lee informed me that the bevel cut is made at random. I find this an aggravating nuisance to use.
The first Lee kit I had left me thinking the whole system was unreliable, because I got readings which almost always said the alloy was softer than I expected it to be. After listening to posters on this forum, and others, who liked the kit, I decided mine was defective in some way. Paying closer attention, I found that sometimes I got a reading which was about what was expected...and sometimes I had trouble getting a good 'focus' on the picture.

These two things led me to believe that a lens was loose in my microscope, so I sent the kit in for replacement.
After it was 'in the mail' I found myself wondering why I never inspected the scope to see if it was 'take-apart-able' and 'fix-it-myself-able'.

Looking at the new one, it appears that it could be disassembled.
If that's true, you could possibly re-orient the lens (or 'reticle') to suit your taste.

On the other hand, I don't find it distracting to read the scale while it's vertical...or even upside down...
CM

ANeat
01-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Bud mine is cock-eyed as well. I have a regular bench microscope with a vernier scale built into the lens that I use instead.

Like Charlie mentioned there may be a way to get it oriented correctly.

Adam

Sundogg1911
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
I just ordered one from midway. It was on sale for 40 bucks.its worth trying for that

454PB
01-31-2007, 04:08 PM
I must have been lucky, mine has the bevel facing away from me. It takes some use and experimenting to get good reliable readings.

One method that works for me is to put the microscope in my extra .45 ACP non carbide sizing die, then screw the die into my press. The scope is a perfect friction fit. I then place the boolit on either the "V" supplied with the tester for testing on the driving bands, or on a normal shell holder for testing on the nose. I then raise the ram to bring the boolit into focus and make minor position adjustments. Only a microsurgeon could hold things steady enough without some kind of device to help.

I use several Lee turret presses, and keep the Lee hardness tester and .45 ACP die in one of my spare turrets.

Hunter
01-31-2007, 08:16 PM
The bevel is cut correct on mine. I believe with good support the Lee hardness tester will give you a good idea where you alloy is on the Brinell scale. I know there are better testers but for the money I believe the Lee will do fine.

grumpy one
01-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Mine gives perfect focus if I just press the end of the scope against the bullet or ingot. The bevel faces to the right, rather accurately, and I just position things so the bright fluoro light in my office faces directly toward the bevel. It is all dead easy except placing the zero line exactly over the left side of the indentation, which is a pain, plus getting used to the inverted view (so the indentation moves the wrong way when I try to align it). When checking bullets I place them in the tiny V-block that comes with the kit, so they don't move around.

IMO this is a good device - accurate, consistent, and rather easy to use. It is just a scaled down version of the industrial one I used to use long, long ago - correct according to the theory, unlike some of the other testers around.

Sundogg1911
01-31-2007, 09:45 PM
midway has 'em right now for $40. cant wait to try mine!

boommer
02-01-2007, 12:41 AM
I just put my bullet in the vice and use a small flashlight works fine for me.

R.M.
02-01-2007, 06:00 PM
What's the measuring range of the Lee scopes? I bought one many years ago, long before Lee came out with their tester, and mine measures to .180". It's a Fowler brand. Just being nosey. [smilie=1:

R.M.

BudRow
02-01-2007, 08:45 PM
It goes up to .100"

csi-cop
02-02-2007, 01:03 AM
[smilie=2: I got the same problem with the scope wrong angle. Seems to work well and is consistant measurements on the sample bullets I've ran so far.

Sundogg1911
02-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Mine just came. looks interesting. cant wait to try it out. I'll probably test it out tomorrow on some alloy of known hardness