PDA

View Full Version : Reloaded my first rifle rounds with cast boolits today

got_lead?
08-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Haha, it's harder than it looks.

A bit more going on here than loading for the revolver. Trying to fit the sizing diameter to the throat, who wouldda thunk Winchester brass has way thicker necks than Remington. I got a pretty good fit with .311's in the Rem brass, but the Winnys wont chamber. And those long cast boolit noses that extend into the lands when you chamber the round. Boy, ya'd better keep yer mold halves clean. A bit of splatter between the mold halves and the noses cast too large to enter the barrel, and the cartridge wont chamber.

How come you guys didn't warn me there's a learning curve here. I wont even talk about how much time I have into honing the neck sizer and expander.

Moonie
08-12-2011, 01:24 PM
How come you guys didn't warn me there's a learning curve here. I wont even talk about how much time I have into honing the neck sizer and expander.

What fun is there in that? :kidding:

UtopiaTexasG19
08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Look at the brighter side. You know a lot more now than when you started! :)

Wayne Smith
08-12-2011, 03:33 PM
And if you read much here you will have an inkling of how much there is to learn!

stubshaft
08-12-2011, 03:55 PM
In a year or two we'll show you the secret handshake.

08-12-2011, 03:58 PM
And give you a secret de-coder ring.

Learning curve? You're kidding, right? It's a very steep incline.

got_lead?
08-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Haha, yes I do know a bit more than when I started, and my wallet's thinner too. Gonna need a .309 H&I now and a neck sizer for the 30-30. Oh well, it's only money.

08-12-2011, 06:07 PM
"Oh well, it's only money."

Yep, better spend while you still have it, and its worth something.

curator
08-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Bullet casting is my most expensive money-saving hobby

rintinglen
08-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Truer words were never spoken! I have "saved" probably 3000.00 dollars in casting equipment, molds, and the like. Not too mention the beer and pizzas I used to buy to trade for wheel weights.

Three44s
08-12-2011, 09:06 PM
My WW source does not go for beer .......... heck I even offered WHISKEY!

But I got big smiles when I got to talkin' PIZZAS!!!

Two pizza's for two buckets plus a 20 per ............ HEY ............. Where does this money saving kick in anyways????

Three 44s

got_lead?
08-12-2011, 10:14 PM

And how!!

HangFireW8
08-13-2011, 12:03 AM

ROFL.

Luckily for us, it is attached to a purely money-losing hobby- Shooting! That makes casting and reloading look cheap by comparison! [smilie=l:

-HF

303Guy
08-13-2011, 12:32 AM
I look at it this way; I can go to the movies for $45 and I get entertained for a few hours. For $150 I get continous and ongoing entertainment that lasts for months. That's cheap! But it really is worth just buying the scrap lead from the recyclers. (Unless you get entertainment from hunting it down for 'free').

Wayne Smith
08-13-2011, 12:54 PM
My WW source does not go for beer .......... heck I even offered WHISKEY!

But I got big smiles when I got to talkin' PIZZAS!!!

Two pizza's for two buckets plus a 20 per ............ HEY ............. Where does this money saving kick in anyways????

Three 44s

That was easy. I simply showed LOML the cost of new ammo. She started calculating how much I was saving and hasn't said a word since. It's only gotten worse since then. That's not mentioning the three guns I can't buy ammo for, too.

GrizzLeeBear
08-13-2011, 08:14 PM
W don't save any money by reloading or casting, we just get to SHOOT A LOT MORE for the same money! Reloading and casting are a means to an end (more shooting), not and end in themselves.

Wayne Smith
08-14-2011, 07:30 AM
W don't save any money by reloading or casting, we just get to SHOOT A LOT MORE for the same money! Reloading and casting are a means to an end (more shooting), not and end in themselves.

I used to think that too. I've been reloading for 30+ years and casting for over 10. I recently checked the cost of ammo - I'm saving money over what I would have spent to shoot the same amount - by a huge amount. I'm not shooting competetively, go to the range maybe once or twice a month. I married a Scot who does taxes - when she says I'm saving money I believe her!