PDA

View Full Version : Hakim . . . Freightman I wanta hear

TCLouis
01-19-2007, 07:53 PM
more about this gun with cast. I have one that I bought 8-10 years ago and still have not fired.

Been trying to decide if I should shoot or SELL it.

Kinda Funky design so that alone makes me want to keep it.

Loads, boolit or bullets?

Gas port setting?

Freightman
01-20-2007, 11:43 AM
I haven't had a chance to get to the range as of yet, we have had three straight ice storms, and it is snowing hard now. We are expecting up to 15" today.
As for shooting the Hakim it is actually the most fun gun I have and I have a M1 Garand. I found the Hakim to be as accurate as the M1 when I finaly got the adjustable front sight to bring it down from 12" high at 100. The gas adjustment is easy you turn to 6:00 position which is full open 9:00 is closed. To adjust you close it and start opening untill the rifle operates properly for the ammo bieng used.
To make a tool to adjust is simple find a cheap socket that will fit the widest part of the adjusting valve then cut a "V" out of one side of the socket then you can use a ratchet to adjust. Do not go to far as it will jump past the indents t hat it adjusts with.
The first thing you need to do is take the valve out and clean and lube so you will not have a frozen valve, if it is frozen soak in Krol and it will come loose.
Email me if you have any problems. fglennb@clearwire.net

Mar354
01-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I also have a Hakim, and the one thing I like about it is that it is a very "smoothe"operator as it works on the dirct impingement priciple, meaning the gas is vented directly on the bolt carrier as in the M16. The smoothe part comes form the fact that only the bolt and carrier move when the action cycles and it is less disturbing to your aiming and followup shots as a system that has additional moving parts such as operating rods. The part I do not appreciate is since the Hakim is not a more "sealed" action like the upper of an M16, I sometime get a slight bit of the vented gas that will hit the upper part of your forehead and give you a feeling of a hot sand shower. I converted mine to shoot the .308 ctg. which worked out well except for the fact that the original magazine would not feed if more than five cartridges were loaded into it as the .308 case is bigger radially than the original 8mm and they were sticking in the magazine body enough to stop reliable feeding. I intend to convert my rifle to use an M14 magazine but that hasn't happened as yet. I also have seen a few of these rifle come in for broken extractors and that is a problem as they are difficult or impossible to find. I trie to use a Ljungman 42(which the Hakim was copied from) extractor for one of these and found out thay weren't the same and would not work.

Buckshot
01-20-2007, 12:47 PM
.............The Hakim is the Swedish Ag42, or Ljungman done Egyptian. Built on the Swedish tooling but slightly altered to suit. Both will eject violently, but happily the Hakim has a gas port adjustment valve (which requires a special wrench) or you can make one from a socket.

I own both rifles and since the Swede is rather limited in it's velocity with cast (and no gas port valve) you have to shoot it expecting it to NOT cycle. I did alter mine so I could adjust the gas pressure which works great with FLGC style slugs, as it no longer flings the brass into the next time zone at warp factor 8. With cast about all that happens is the bolt unlocks and then you manually operate it.

I haven't fired cast in my Hakim yet. It is a clubby beast and stout. It has an effective muzzle brake, and I was shooting it once with some surplus 8mm. My dad was sitting at a table about 20 feet behind the line. Later he mentioned that everytime I fired he could feel the air wave move his pant leg around :-)

...............Buckshot

mag_01
01-20-2007, 01:07 PM
---Hakim a fun gun to shoot have only put surplus ammo thru it but would like to hear of success stories with cast loads. Also had the Ljungman which was a little lighter but had a bad head space problem so I got rid of it. So far my loads with cast are light ones maybe in time I can come up with one that kicks butt.---Mag