PDA

View Full Version : The Thunderbirds are practicing

FISH4BUGS
08-11-2011, 03:35 PM
There is an Air Show here in New Hampshire this weekend. Some 100,000 are expected to attend.
The Thunderbirds are practicing their maneuvers as I type this. Do you know how hard it is to work in this environent? I hear them screaming by and have to go to the windows to watch. It is a beautiful sight.

Charlie Two Tracks
08-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Now imagine that you were an enemy ground troop and they were after you! NOT GOOD! And they aren't even flying super sonic.

08-11-2011, 07:31 PM
I've seen them twice, once when I was still in the Air Force and they were flying the F-4 Phantom, and last October. One of the most wonderful and goose flesh inducing sounds is a military fighter in full afterburner song.

An old radial engined pursuit or bomber will do it, too.

FISH4BUGS
08-11-2011, 10:16 PM
He was a navy Admiral, and when he was buried (many years ago) , there were 3 P51's that flew over the cemetary. The sound of those Allison or Merlin engines brought tears to everyone's eyes....it was stunning how that sounded.
There is nothing that sounds like it.
If you know what I mean....then you know what I mean.

felix
08-11-2011, 10:32 PM
The sound of the Zero's is about the only one I can detect in my sleep. I live within the piston plane circle around our airport. Every other year we have a show of some sort. The jets take a much wider circle and it is considerably harder to predict their paths in advance. By the time I have heard them when and where, they are far too gone to see them. I see little difference between the Navy and AirForce show teams that I do not go to the airport anymore. ... felix

Wayne Smith
08-12-2011, 09:08 AM
Around here the sound of jets is the sound of freedom. Oceana is a Master fighter base, Norfolk is the largest Naval base in the world. Fentriss airfield is a touch and go practice field. They are all around! Including seeing SEALs practice exiting helicopters into the Bay as we drive over the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel - seen that many times over the years. Since I hate crowds I don't go to the shows every year at Oceana.

jameslovesjammie
08-12-2011, 05:17 PM
And they aren't even flying super sonic.

They do when they come up here! Only for a couple of passes though. I only live about a mile South of the base. When they have Northern Neighbors day and the Thunderbirds come to town it's awesome! We just sit on my back deck, barbecue, and watch in amazement.

bob208
08-13-2011, 10:36 PM
around here the a10s fly over to make runs in the mountians.