PDA

View Full Version : .303 shooting nice

flyingstick
01-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks folks for your help getting my .303 british to shoot. So here's what I did. First my Lee mould was casting out a boolit with only a .300 nose so I lapped out just the nose to .304. Loaded up with 17 grns of Reloder 7 filled with cow, it backed out the primers. It scared me a bit but I got some good advice here that it was more likely low pressure instead of high (it was). So I cast some more bullets, made up a lube of bees wax and moly-graphite grease mixture and started loading. My first load was 26.1 grn of Reloder 7, no gas check but used cow filler, shots went every where. I had loads up to
32 grns with cow filler, no accuracy whatever. So then I switched to my gas checked boolits, 17 grns gas checked still was 10" off at 60 yards. I shot my different loads with gas checks until I got to my 26.1 grns with a gas check and no filler. THIS RIFLE HAS NEVER SHOT THIS GOOD!! I tried it with gas checks at 30 grns of Reloder 7 and it acted like the 17 grn load. Trial and error, and had fun doing it. The 26.1 grns of Reloder 7 with the gas checked boolits were dead on @ 60 yards and dropped about 4 inces @ 150 yards.
My home made lube is a little smoky but I liked it. It's also messy! Next I'm gonna try to add more wax to thicken it a bit. I can't wait to load my 30-30!

cbrick
01-19-2007, 04:09 PM
flyingstick,

Good news about your success. Experimenting and making it work when it doesn't want to is a large part of the fun for me.

Did you slug your barrel? If so what was the groove diameter? What diameter does the Lee mould cast? What alloy were you using and do you know the BHN? Any water quenching or heat treating? Thanks.

Rick

flyingstick
01-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Yes, It slugged to .312. The lee mould is suppose to cast a .312 but mine is throwing out .313 on the bands. I am using Wheel weights and letting them air dry. It's an amazing thing, This gun does'nt like any surplus ammo or factory either. Tis true, every gun sings it's own tune.