PDA

View Full Version : SXS shotgun barrels

junkbug
08-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Hello all. I was just wondering. Is it possible to ream and re-line SXS shotgun barrels, back to their original gauge. I am looking at an old SXS with damascus barrels, and slight pitting inside the bores. Was wondering if they can be relined.

Thanks.

elk hunter
08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
There is someone in England that does exactly that, so it can be done, but making the tubes would require considerable time and effort. Why not purchase a set of sub-gauge tubes to slide in the barrels instead. Or, if the pits aren't too deep, have them honed out. Don't know if you can find an American gunsmith that will work on damascus barrels, but again the English boys do work on and shoot them, they do have them proofed to be sure they're safe.

scb
08-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Yes. It goes by a couple of different names. Sleeving or mono-blocking are the most common I've heard. I've got a couple around here I started and sorta lost interest in. I'll see if I can dig them up and get some pictures.

junkbug
08-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the help. I have also considered honing, a much simpler proceedure. As to inserts, I really don't want to buy a gun, then sub down a gauge.

What worries me about the pitting (which I would easily ignore at the level I see if it were on a modern steel barrel) is deterioration of the laminate. I don't plan on shooting anything other than black powder if I use it unmodified.

I'll talk to a local gunsmith soon, and see if he will even touch a shotgun with damascus barrels. Thanks for the hint about mono-blocking. I've heard the term, but don't know what it means.

PS. When I go back to look at it, I'll bring some clothes line, and try the "ringing the bell" test.

elk hunter
08-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Jbug;

A mono-block is the breech end of a set of barrels with locking lugs etc. that the barrels are fit into.

If you want to see what a mono-block looks like go to the album section and search " 500-450" and look at the one there.

In your case you could cut the original barrels off at the front of the chamber and then put new tubes in, but that would sacrifice the original barrels.

Ringing the barrels will tell you if the ribs are tight, but won't tell you much about the condition of the barrels under the ribs. If there is any evidence of the ribs having been re-soldered you may want to pass. If someone used acid core solder to repair a loose rib, there could be severe rusting under the ribs that could make the barrels quite thin. If the ribs are loose it can be quite a chore to make them right.

junkbug
08-12-2011, 06:20 PM
The forend mounting lug has been replaced and resoldered. I clearly remember noticing this. It was not a real neat job, by any means. That was hidden under the wood, but clearly visible when I went to remove the barrels from the receiver.

The rib looked like it was still soundly attached.

John Taylor
08-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Did an old Parker several years back by cutting off the barrels and threading new barrels in. Was a bit fun putting the ribs back on. http://johntaylormachine.com/typo3temp/pics/fa3a36730e.jpg