PDA

View Full Version : Rcbs lam ii

MaxJon
08-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Yippee! just got an rcbs lam 2. Goodbye pan lube and lee sizers! I pretty much tossed the coin between the Lyman 4500 and Lam 2, but i do like the ball handle of the Lyman, so im gunna screw a ball on my RCBS handle. Any set up tips? Ordered .309sizer and top punch for my RCBS 82014 180gn fp. I will get .310 also. I gunna make some dies to cast some lube sticks with my lube cakes left over from pan lubing also, not sure how that will go, but worth a try!
Any info would be great!!
BB03

cutter_spc
08-09-2011, 11:27 PM
I've heard some people just melt the lube and pour it in, just what I've read and heard never tried it myself.

Le Loup Solitaire
08-10-2011, 12:17 AM
Yes one can melt lube and pour it into the reservoir; it works but you then have to wait until it sets up. Another method is to pour melted lube into plastic (pipe) or cylinders that have a dowel placed in the center and when that cools you have the sticks to put into the reservoirs. A third method is to pour the lube in thin sheets and then roll the sheet up around a dowel until it is approximately the same diameter as the reservoir...trimmed to various lengths as needed. However you do it, it is a good idea to build up a reserve of sticks in your spare time so that you have a good supply on hand for the lubing sessions. One other suggestion is to learn the pressure that you need to keep the operation smooth and continuous...its tricky at first, but you don't want to overdue the pressure in the reservoir or else you will have pressure leaks and they are a nuisance to keep cleaning up. Good luck with your LAM. LLS

CWME
08-14-2011, 08:37 AM
The lube pressure rod with the plastic balls was a PITA. I finally broke one of the balls. So I welded a nut on top and use a wratchet wrench to adjust the lube pressure. I think the nut was for a 3/8 bolt, use a 9/16 wrench. Works great now. Other than that great sizer!

MaxJon
08-14-2011, 08:49 PM
The lube pressure rod with the plastic balls was a PITA. I finally broke one of the balls. So I welded a nut on top and use a wratchet wrench to adjust the lube pressure. I think the nut was for a 3/8 bolt, use a 9/16 wrench. Works great now. Other than that great sizer!

I have screwed a ball on the end of the operating handle similar to the Lyman 4500. I also have a spare pressure screw which i am considring doing the same kind of mod. I think the latest Lyman 4500 has a ratchet on its lube screw?
BB03

DLCTEX
08-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Be sure to have a die in the unit before pouring melted lube in and leave enough air gap in the cylinder to get the piston back in, speaking from experience.

garym1a2
08-15-2011, 04:21 AM
It was a big pain when I overfilled the top and than let the lube cool down. This made the rod off center and the piston would not go on. I hade to use a hair dryer to get everything soft and resarted. But if setup right pouring it in works well and lets me use up my pan lube. But once that supply of leftover pan lube is gone I will go back to my supply of Whitelabel lubes as it is not worth the hassel when you can buy it for a low price.

Be sure to have a die in the unit before pouring melted lube in and leave enough air gap in the cylinder to get the piston back in, speaking from experience.

Mk42gunner
08-16-2011, 11:38 PM
One thing about pouring lube into the reservoir, you don't have to burp air out like when you use hollow sticks.

Robert

1hole
08-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Melting (on low heat) and pouring is the way to go. The stuff is sold in hollow sticks for convience but it's really easy to melt.

hes
08-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I will try this.