PDA

View Full Version : OK, I know this probably stupid but....

tomf52
01-18-2007, 07:55 PM
I was making some firestarters today by submersing small pieces of cardboard (rolled up) into hot melted parafin when I got the idea of dunking a couple of cast bullets into the wax. They came out with nice even coats of wax which cooled to a rather durable coat and felt slick as some of the concoctions we've been playing with here. Why can't you use straight parafin for a lube? It seems to have good lubricity and adhesion to the bullets. Ok firing squad - ready! aim!.........

Ricochet
01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
It works. See my earlier posts about dip lubing in Johnson's Paste Wax, which idea I got from someone else on here (I'm sorry, but I keep forgetting whom.) I think you'll find the pure paraffin ends up being too brittle and flakes off the metal surface in loading without something added that's got a polar end on the molecule, and pure paraffin melts suddenly into a watery liquid that's not that slick. But in a given load and gun it may work fine for you. Experiment!

Uncle Grinch
01-18-2007, 08:21 PM
I was making some firestarters today by submersing small pieces of cardboard (rolled up) into hot melted parafin when I got the idea of dunking a couple of cast bullets into the wax. They came out with nice even coats of wax which cooled to a rather durable coat and felt slick as some of the concoctions we've been playing with here. Why can't you use straight parafin for a lube? It seems to have good lubricity and adhesion to the bullets. Ok firing squad - ready! aim!.........

Tomf52,

Firestarters made of cardboard and wax...hummm, down here in Georgia, we just use a piece of fat lighter. I think it'll burn in a downpour.

tomf52
01-18-2007, 08:29 PM
What is "fat lighter"?

44woody
01-18-2007, 08:53 PM
tomf52 it is the heart of a yellow jack pine tree that all the sap has gone to when the tree has died I have started many camp fires with it even in a rain storm I have got fires started with it they also make tirpintine out of it it also makes a great flux stick if it does not catches fire when you stick it into you lead pot :castmine: 44Woody

Ricochet
01-18-2007, 09:01 PM
In Alabama that was called "Lightard." Or "Fat pine." You can cook pine tar out of it.

tommag
01-18-2007, 10:25 PM
In the northwest, we use the spikes left when lightning strikes any coniferous tree, it has lots of sap and we call them candles.

tomf52
01-19-2007, 12:02 AM
44woody - Ok, in this area we have called it fatwood. I thought that was what you were talking about but wasn't sure. Thanks, Tom

Dale53
01-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Really good firelighters can be made from sawdust, egg cartons (paper, not styrofoam) and paraffin. Just fill the egg pockets with sawdust. Then pour melted paraffin or old candle wax into the sawdust. cut the pockets apart and carry them on back packing or camping trips. I still use them in the fireplace. One or two eliminates the need for kindling (will ignite split wood without kindling). They burn slow and long.

Dale53

454PB
01-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Here we go again drifting away from the original subject:roll:

I guess I'm really a redneck, I use sawdust with some diesel fuel added and stored in a metal coffee can for fire starter.

As to using parafin alone as a boolit lube, I haven't tried it, but I think it lacks the lubrication properties required.

If you try it, be sure to let us know how it works out.

Bullshop
01-19-2007, 03:05 AM
OK here ya go. Anytime I am out in the woods and see a nice fat gob of dried pitch bleading from a tree I chip it off and put it in a ziplok. Yea I almost always have some ziploks in my pocket for collecting coyote or fox terds. Never mind thats another story.
Anyway the dried pitch will light easy and burn like gas. You can make a fire in the rain and I have many times.
All you need is a good sharp knife to shave some curlies some dry matches and a gob of pitch the size of a wallnut.
To stay on subject it makes good flux too.
BIC/BS

Bret4207
01-19-2007, 08:26 AM
I steal road flares from the Troop car. Job done.

Parrafin would work to an extent and I think it's an ingredient in Felix Lube. But running it straight requires melting it and dipping each boolit sounds like a hassle. Try it and see. Then you can report back on how it works out. You never know...

Hackleback
01-19-2007, 08:39 AM
2nd what Tpr. Bret says.

If you want a real fire starter, try a road flare. I carried a couple with me all the time when I was working in Alaska. Double as a signaling devise day or night.

MT Gianni
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM
For a clean easy to carry one, get your wifes cotton ball sack and make sure it's cotton not a polyester. Get her vaseline jar and 2 McDonalds soda straws. [you don't have to eat the junk just get the straws]. Cut the straws in 3-4" lengths and wipe vaseline all over the cotton balls. Seal one straw end with a match or lighter, just heat and grab with pliers. Stuff most of the cotton ball in and reseal the other end. They light with a match and carry well stuffed inside a hat band, pocket or daypack. Gianni.

mag_01
01-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Paraffin is not a good lube in itself (a good cleaner) paraffin is used by some to stiffen a mix but is the weakest link in the lube.-----Mag

As far as pine pitch I try to stay away from ---messy on cars and on the hands.

carpetman
01-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Bullshop---Collecting fox and coyote turds? If that's an ingredient in Bullplate--I'd never tell it. Dont think they'd be edible even if you cooked the **** out of them.

madcaster
01-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Bullshop has a hobby guys,leave him be!LOL!!!

OLPDon
01-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Bullshop: Merchantdising, Merchantdising, how much do those tourist pay per LBS. for the scat? Have you thought about a trip to Doc's and recover those unused Frost Bitten diggets, might be a market for that also.
Hey Carpetman does that make Bullshop a "Scat Tracker"?

Don..................:holysheep

lovedogs
01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
I've never tried paraffin but have heard that it won't work... straight. If memory serves me I heard that it'll give you a lesson in leading barrels that you'll never forget.

Bullshop
01-19-2007, 02:27 PM
OH BOY I knew some of you would have fun with that. Let me set your minds at ease. Its not a lube ingrediant or case filler or snack or even a tourist craze. If any of you are trappers you will know exactly what its for.
For those that are not trappers, all k-9's are very teritorial in nature. They mark boundrys with scat and urin. When these markers intrude within boundrys especialy durring mating season big males will throw temper tantrums. During one of these ground shreading tantrums they let thier guard down and can be more easily tricked into stepping into a trap.
To trap a K-9 you have to fool some of Gods most accutely sencitive eyes, nose, and ears trying to draw them to a set.
When a big dog is throwing a fitt he will drag himself backwards and when he does he is a much easier target having not the sencory equipment in the rear.
To stay on subject the burning scat will produce lots of carbon so will make good flux.
BIC/BS

azcoyhunter
01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Off Subject

We call the "Fat wood" PITCH here, and when you burn it you can see where the saying PITCH BLACK comes from.

Parrafin, I have heard is not really WAX, BEES Wax is the only WAX? Not sure.
Have tried it, not good.....

To add to the Trappping reply, urine is great also.

If you can get your female in HEAT dog to pee in a cup for you, I have not had good luck with this, the wife tends to think I am even stranger than normal.

Clint

357maximum
01-19-2007, 04:17 PM
I knew why you were gathering them bullshop....you can also make them yourself...just eat nothing but whole mice and other rodents/vermin and save what comes out the other end...... you got to do it for at least a week before you save em though...wouldn't want contaminated turds from leftovers in your system...you can grind em up in the blender first if you like...wouldn't want to choke on a rat pelvis or leg bone....

Trap mostly greys and yotes here, the yoters have driven most the reds out of here. My leopard curs will actually tree a grey fox from time to time when squirrel hunting early late in the day..

Back to the subject...parraffin in of itself is a pretty poor lube, and only much use as a hardner of the mix...beeswax or microwax is what you want..