PDA

View Full Version : John Ross in a western movie in 2002

John Ross
08-08-2011, 04:00 AM
I was involved in a VERY low budget independent Western released in 2002 called DEFIANCE. Go to http://www.badmoviebuff.com/defiance/ for a hilarious in-depth review.

After you've read that, read the email below that I just sent to the guy that runs the bad movie site the review is on. If you have Netflix, you can stream the movie to your computer for free.

==================================================

Sir:

I have just finished reading your four-page review of DEFIANCE and the tears are running down my face. This should interest you as I had a small part in the movie and was (I think) responsible for it being a little better than it otherwise would have been.

DEFIANCE was (I think) originally a school project for the director Doveed Linder. I'm not sure what his original vision of the film was, because when I got involved, they had been filming off and on for well over a year. I think the project might have started as a short subject that the director decided to expand into a feature length (almost) film when it appeared to him that more financial backing might be there. One person who provided major cash backing was Tom Burnham, who played the part of the "Old Rancher" in the film, a nonspeaking role IIRC. He got partial producer credit and I think his financial contribution was $5000. Tom is a gun collector with a SERIOUS collection of original Old West guns of the mid-to-late 19th century. He served as the film's Gun Wrangler (or whatever it's called), providing well over half the guns used in the film, loading all the blanks, and making sure all guns were always safe on the set. He did an excellent job of this. It pained me a little that you thought his gunshots sounded like rocks thrown in a trash can.

Tom is a personal friend of mine and he is the one that recruited me for involvement in the film. When I was a teenager I was a (regional) champion speed shooter, including out of western-style rigs, and Tom thought I would be an asset to the project. He and Doveed recruited me in a bar. My hope was to coach the other actors in gun handling and fast draw to make them look competent onscreen, but unfortunately most of the shooting scenes had already been filmed by the time I was brought in. That's why you seldom see the actor draw and fire the gun--they filmed it, but had to edit it out because everyone was so clumsy. I showed them I could shoot dynamite out of the air with rifle or revolver, and they were originally excited about me doubling for Nathan Cross (Tony Twist) doing this, to show what a fearsome gunman he was. Unfortunately, at that time my weight had ballooned to over 300 pounds and I was too fat to stand in for Tony, no matter what camera angle was used. Hollywood directors would have a coronary at the idea of using live ammunition and real dynamite on a movie set, but we were on my land and I had the proper licenses, so it would have been fun if we could have pulled it off for the final cut.

The small acting part I had was the gun dealer with the beard and big black hat who is exasperated by the incompetence of the gang they are trying to organize. However, my main contribution to the film was something else. The story was originally set just after the Civil War, in 1867. I told them I refused to be involved in any western project set in a year that was before the guns they were using had been invented. That's a pet peeve of moviegoing gun guys. Many of the guns used in the movie had first been made in 1873, so I made Doveed change the caption at the beginning of the film from "Missouri 1867" to "Missouri 1874" or maybe it was 1876, I forget which. It is unlikely that in a small town so many of the men would have state-of-the-art weaponry that was only a year old, but it would not have been impossible.

The entire movie was made with almost everyone working for free and some who contributed money in return for a small acting part. BTW Mister Clay Randall was played by the director's dad. Cash was only spent for equipment rentals, film costs, processing, editing, etc. None of the actors got paid to my knowledge, and all of the locations, horses, saddles, catering, and such were donated by friends who wanted to see the film succeed. The main sound guy, who also played the guitar music you didn’t care for and had a small acting part, worked for free as well. The final scene (filmed before I became involved) was, as you suspected, a BIG part of the budget. They brought in Eric Stanze for that, and he was not cheap. I think the entire movie cost $130,000 to make in 2001 dollars; that figure meaning stuff they actually had to write checks for.

When I saw the finished product, it was much better than I had feared. Skillful editing had made clumsy onscreen gun handling look smooth and fast. My biggest beef was the same as yours in that almost all the clothes looked waaay too new. That was because all the actors had to provide their own wardrobe items, and I guess nobody thought to distress the fabric until after many of the scenes had been shot. A few of us had older, worn stuff.

All in all, I had terrific fun being involved with this project, and found out that Tony Twist is a great guy to be around. As to the finished product being as terrible as some people have claimed, I’ll say this: I would rather sit through ten consecutive screenings of DEFIANCE than one showing of either BLAIR WITCH PROJECT or PARANORMAL ACTIVITY.

Final fun fact: I had a party where Tom Burnham was in attendance. When people found out he was co-producing a western movie, a woman guest in her 40s asked if there were any parts available. Tom replied, “No, we’ve already cast all the old whores, but some of the young ***** parts are still open. Have your daughter give me a call.”

Fun times.

DukeInFlorida
08-08-2011, 06:50 AM
OMG, John. The way that you write is addictive.

Here I was, breezing through the forum, skimming through threads, and my brakes went immediately into FULL LOCK mode, and I had to stop and digest every word.

I'm on my way out to work on a pile of mixed gravel/bullets from a 40+ year old berm (they screened the entire club using commercial screening equipment, and now every damn rock the size of a bullet is mixed in with the bullets.) I'm finding a LOT of wonderful old cast designs (some I had never seen before) in the pile, and will spend the day mindlessly picking bullets, and recalling the DEFIANCE email.

Much of this lead I am prospecting will end up as 10 bullets to the pound (700 grain) .500 S&W magnum cast bullets. The tie-ins are getting scary!

Thanks for making my day.

waksupi
08-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I've had some connection with making movies over the years, and you hit on one of the things that always bothered me. How old things looked. How many old western type movies have you seen, where people were living in a log cabin or other building, that looked over a hundred years old? Who the heck was there to build it?

Echo
08-08-2011, 11:14 AM
WOW - way to go, John!

MtGun44
08-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks for sharing, John. Sounds like fun, even if the end result isn't the best work.
How would one find a way to view this 'masterpiece'?

Bill

mroliver77
08-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Like Ric I pick up on things like buildings too old/new, wrong weapons, clothes etc. Every now and then I see power lines in movies that reflect the pre Civ War era.

I like a good story and can get wrapped up in a good book or movie. If the writing, acting editing is done well I can let little things go and just be entertained. Some movies or books are akin to a chore getting through them.

A little kiss up to John. ;) U.C. was easy to read, hard to put down and I wanted more when it was done. I would like to read more by you!
Jay

John Ross
08-11-2011, 01:48 AM
Thanks for sharing, John. Sounds like fun, even if the end result isn't the best work.
How would one find a way to view this 'masterpiece'?

Bill

You can watch it free if someone you know has a Netflix account. You can buy it at Amazon for around $3 delivered. http://www.amazon.com/Defiance-Jim-Freivogel/dp/B0000C2IQS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

MtGun44
08-11-2011, 08:32 PM
John,

Thanks for the info.

I ordered a used copy in "like new condition" for $3.42 delivered.

Bill

Ickisrulz
08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
You can watch it free if someone you know has a Netflix account. You can buy it at Amazon for around $3 delivered. http://www.amazon.com/Defiance-Jim-Freivogel/dp/B0000C2IQS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

One a side note...when will UC be re-published?

John Ross
08-12-2011, 03:59 PM
One a side note...when will UC be re-published?

Image issues just got resolved and it is at the printer's now.

MtGun44
08-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Hey, the wife and I watched 'Defiance' just now and it wasn't that bad. That little pistol
that wound up doing a lot of the killing looks like a S&W .22 cal, but I really don't know
those little guns well at all. Was it an S&W and was it .22 or .32? The gunfights and
blood and such was not too bad, considering the budget, basically pretty passable
work.

The locations looked like Missouri to me - I live in the KC area and have hunted and camped
in Missouri many times.

Worth the viewing time, IMO. Not a 5 star movie but I'd give it three stars out of five.

Bill

John Ross
08-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Bill, the location where most of the film was shot was, I believe, actually within the town boundaries of Defiance, Missouri. If not actually in it, then just outside it.

Thanks for the 3-star rating!

Don't know what the little gun was. I'm not up on them either. I believe Tom told me there were no rimfires in the movie but I might be mistaken. The only guns I supplied were an 1866 Winchester copy and a Colt SAA.

45nut
08-18-2011, 11:34 AM

Group buy and signed copies please!

Catshooter
08-18-2011, 07:37 PM
That's a good idea 45nut.

Imagine that, John Ross (Mr. 500 S&W and owns a .50 BMG Progressive press) unfamilar with mouse guns! Who knew? :)

Cat

Ickisrulz
11-04-2011, 12:48 AM

Anyone (John?) know if these will be available in time for Christmas?

John Ross
11-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Yes, they will.