PDA

View Full Version : When sawdust isn't handy...

MDF99
06-08-2005, 12:01 PM
does shredded cedar or aspen rodent bedding work OK for fluxing wheelweight ingot melt? Thanks.

felix
06-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Anything that produces carbon monoxide will flux typical lead mixes. ... felix

9.3X62AL
06-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Carbon monoxide.......nice. And another in the series of GREAT reasons to have thorough ventilation in your casting area.

carpetman
06-08-2005, 12:56 PM
MDF99---For years the Rodent Raisers rags have all warned against fluxing with Aspen rodent bedding. What works great is cat bedding,and even better if the cat is in it. Just dump it in cat and all,and all your fluxing worries are over. First post--welcome to the board. Glad I could help.

44man
06-08-2005, 01:05 PM
The cat has to be fattened up first because that fat is what makes a good flux. Skinny ones need not apply.

carpetman
06-08-2005, 01:22 PM
44Man---No doubt a fatter cat makes for better fluxing material,however,if you have a skinny cat not to worry just use more cats. Several do better anyways--a whole litter of kittens is great,those that have never reproduced seem to have special characteristics.

Scrounger
06-08-2005, 03:12 PM
MDF99---For years the Rodent Raisers rags have all warned against fluxing with Aspen rodent bedding. What works great is cat bedding,and even better if the cat is in it. Just dump it in cat and all,and all your fluxing worries are over. First post--welcome to the board. Glad I could help.

Don't be taken in by CarpetMans claims to be a cat hater. In reality, he loves them, treats them very well, and has several dozen that he feeds. He also likes sheep. A lot.

MDF99
06-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I reckon I'll dismiss the warning from the Rodent Raisers Foundation and proceed to flux with (unsoiled) rodent litter. It's a lucky day for the local felines!