PDA

View Full Version : burning rate of trail boss powder

canuck4570
01-18-2007, 03:39 PM
I have looke for it on different burning rate chart but it is not listed anyone know its burning rate.... by looking at my reloading books I have come to the conclusion its just a bit slower than Unique.... comments would be welcome..... Michel....

cbrick
01-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Hodgdon lists it, here is a Hodgdon burn rate chart.

http://www.lasc.us/BurnRatePrint.htm

Rick

Frosty
01-18-2007, 06:48 PM
The 2007 edition of Hodgdon's Annual Reloading Manual (magazine/newsstand format) has an article about using Trail Boss in other than CAS loads. Though it makes no comparison of relative burn rate, it does list a variety of loadings for several popular rifle and carbine loads. For example, the 30-06 uses 9.0 gr. behind a 165 gr. RNFP bullet at 1112 fps. Ther are no comments relative to whether the listed loads are maximum or not. Inspection suggests they are not. It also appears possible to interpolate for other cartridges etc.

Having read the article, I believe there may be some utility in using Trail Boss to address the delima regarding the use of fillers, chamber ringing etc. Perhaps it may be used in some cases to fill to the point where no filler is needed.

Will publish when I have data.

Regards,
GL

canuck4570
01-19-2007, 10:02 AM
thank you for answer...... will go to the indoor range soon and I have loader some of my 4570 case with trail boss ..... in the reloading manuel fo IMR they list 16.5 gr to be maximun with a 300 gr cast at 1285 fps and 20900 CUP so the load in my case are 18 gr .... 19gr..... and the last 20gr.... the last one the powder touches the bottom of the bullet.... will give you the result.... the rifle will be my ruger no 1.... just to be on the safe side....

R.M.
01-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Well, I'm confused, but that doesn't take much. You're saying 16.5gr is max, but you're going to try as much as 20gr.

By the way, I've been using Trailboss in all my handgun loads for target work, from 32 S&W Long up to the 45 ACP. Love it.

R.M.

canuck4570
01-19-2007, 12:17 PM
yes I will try 20 gr of trail boss.... for the reason I have tried up to 19 grain ou universal with this 300 gr bullet with no sign of presure and the max in the lyman cast bullet book says 17.5 max.... dont worry I will creep up slowly to this charge.... it would be nice if it works because no air space....after this I will try with the other molds I have.....

grumpy one
01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
I've never even seen Trail Boss or read a description of it, but what you are planning sounds hazardous to me. The standard load development approach of incrementing the amount of powder slightly over a series of experiments and watching for group size and pressure signs, is only a good process if you stay within the design parameters of the powder. If it should turn out that Trail Boss is specifically designed as a low pressure powder - as some shotgun powders are - you can end up with an unstable situation here.

My suggestion, FWIW, is that you find out more about this powder before you go substantially outside the manufacturer's recommendations. Felix usually has the answers to this kind of question - some other members may also.

canuck4570
01-19-2007, 08:14 PM
this powder thake a lot of volume.... when I bought it a 8 oz over fild a regular 1 pound of powder canister....16.5 gr wich is the maximun for a 300 gr 4570 bulet but the manufacture says it did not go over 1600 fps because of leadind et the pressure is only 2900 cup... futher more this powder fil up the case almost to the base of the bullet.... only 3.5 grain to put and it tuches the base.... so no filler great..... but be shure I will creep up to this 20 gr very carefuly

grumpy one
01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Canuck, I think I understand what you are trying to do, but if that powder turns out to become unstable at a lower pressure than the level you're working up to, there seems to be a possibility of trouble here. Think about gasoline in a car engine. You can increase the maximum compression pressure and get better and better performance - until you reach a point where the octane rating of the gasoline becomes insufficient for the maximum pressure. At that stage you get detonation instead of burning, and the engine breaks up. It happens quite suddenly, so you can't work up to it safely. The only safe way to go is to use high enough octane gasoline, or keep the compression pressure low enough to suit the gasoline you have.

Dye
01-19-2007, 08:37 PM
I have looke for it on different burning rate chart but it is not listed anyone know its burning rate.... by looking at my reloading books I have come to the conclusion its just a bit slower than Unique.... comments would be welcome..... Michel....

canuck4570

According to the chart it is faster than Unique and slower then Bullseye

Be carefull Dye

9.3X62AL
01-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Canuck--

Since you are in Canada, I don't know if you are able to get any of the surplus powders from GI Brass, Pat's, or elsewhere. I have had great luck using WC-860 duplexed as follows in the 45-70, a Ruger #1.

6.0 grains of IMR-4198 first, then 46.0 grains of WC-860. Seat Lee 405 grain plain base to top of powder column, giving 100% density. Ignite with Federal 215 primer. Serve at 50 to 200 yards/meters. Muzzle velocity is around 1300 FPS, right in line with original 1873 velocities.

Little Doc
01-20-2007, 02:28 AM
IIRC the load data info in hodgdon's little free book says if you are able to double charge a case with trail boss it will not exceed proof presures.
i am told this. fill the case to base of bullet, weigh the powder and reduce by 30% to get starting load. then i was told if compressed it became erratic. based on this a casefull is ok. this discussion was in regards straight wall cases, i do not know about bottleneck. i applied this with a 45-60 and had no pressure signs. navagate this at your own risk. just my $.02 worth.
little doc :coffee:

KCSO
01-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I don't think you are going to accomplish much with your hevier loads of Trail Boss. I also thought that with the low pressure and the light loads recommended that it would be an ideal case filling load. Not so! the higher I loaded over the recommended load the worse accuracy I got. It seems like once you get to a certian spot in the pressure curve you get erratic burning. My velocity spread with 30-30, 8MM Lebel and 303 went to pot just over 10 grains of Trail boss. 10 grains sd was about 17 fps and it constantly went up as I increased the powder. Once again the boys who made it had a good handle on what it would do.