PDA

View Full Version : Pump Leathers

axxman928
01-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Have several Clayton-Lambert plumbing stoves. (None for sale) Use them to
melt lead and cast into different shapes to denote type of lead. Does anyone
know a source for pump leathers? Would like to buy some new ones to keep
these old stoves up and running. They are perfect for my needs. Cannot use
Coleman leathers-to small. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
axxman928

Hackleback
01-18-2007, 01:47 PM
It seems like I rember seeing a tray fill of these at the local Westlakes (Ace) hardware store. I know that Westlakes is a chain, you may have one near by.

Hackleback
01-18-2007, 01:59 PM
I looked on line and could not find what I was looking for. If you need some more help, PM me and I will see what I can do.

montana_charlie
01-18-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't know of a source for parts...but, because of your question, I punched my Google button and went for a ride.

The information on this page relates to blowtorches, not plumber's pots. But they both have similar pumps, so I read the article. At the end, the author has a list of 'supplies' he keeps around for repairs...and mentions sources for those items.
The only thing in his list that would apply to the pump leather is...

"5. Roll of leather, .125 inch thick, smooth one side Tandy Leather Co."

Here is the webpage http://www.blotorches.com/torchfix/torchfix.html

It is my (untested) opinion that leather used to rebuild a pump (if it is cup-shaped like the Coleman pumps) should be the type that does get stiff after getting wet. Those which stay pliable after drying out will not take on, and maintain, the cupped shape.
I think that vegetable-tanned leather is what you would want.

I would make a 'form' to shape wet leather into the 'cup', and expect it to hold that shape when dried and removed from the form.

The form would be a piece of wood dowel of the appripriate size, and a ring of plastic pipe (or something) with an ID about 3/16" larger than the dowel. This ID should be very close the the ID of your pump tube...and you want a pretty tight fit which squeezes water out of the leather.

Saturate a disk of leather with water (alcohol works faster) and lightly pound it with a mallet to break the fibers down a bit.
Screw the disk to the dowel and tap the ring down over it.
After it's dry, with the disk (now a cup) still mounted on the dowel, trim the edge with a razor knife to get a cup of the correct depth.
CM

Scrounger
01-18-2007, 02:25 PM
I tried 'pump gasket' instead of 'leathers' and Google brought up a whole bunch of stuff: http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=SUNA,SUNA:2007-03,SUNA:en&q=pump+gasket

txbirdman
01-18-2007, 03:25 PM
I have an old "jack" water pump that uses pump leathers. The guy who owns the water well drilling/repair business has them readily available so somebody's making them. Try getting in touch with Dowell Water Well Drilling Service in Stephenville, Tx. if all else fails.

454PB
01-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I once owned one of the gas fired plumbers pots, and the pump leather disintegrated. It was useless without it, so I made one out of a thin leather glove and soaked it in light gun oil. It wasn't perfect, but it worked long enough to melt a lot of lead over many years.

Topper
01-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Have you thought about wet forming your own. Drill a hole in a scrap block of wood the same diameter of the tube the plunger fits in. Wet a piece of leather, place it smooth side down, then use a wooden dowel small enough in diameter to push the leather into the hole without reducing the thickness.
Let sit till dried, then cut to fit.
If it gives you trouble sliping in place, dampen the inside with water to stretch it over the grove ring, then dry quickly to shrink fit.
Apply a heavy oil or vasaline before inserting into the tube.

pumpguy
01-19-2007, 01:22 AM
There are still a couple of companies that make leathers for water well cylinders. I do not know what size your furnace takes, but, if these are the same type of leathers that your furnace uses, you can get them in custom sizes if you are willing to pay and wait. They are usually only available through a water well contractor. If your local contractor is not familiar with these, tell him to have his local supplier look for A-1 or Stockman leathers in their Clayton-Mark catalog. Hope this helps.

Diamond-City-Bob
01-19-2007, 06:00 PM
You might want to try jackscountrystore.com not sure if they have what you need but there's a good chance.

redbear705
01-19-2007, 06:37 PM
www.mcmaster.com
-leather-
-bottom of left hand list
=leather washers

They have leather washers of different sizes.

Maybe one of those can help you out?

JR

axxman928
01-22-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Think I'll go the "wet leather" route and make
my own. Got to be cheaper than buying them outright. Got more time
than money. Thanks again.