PDA

View Full Version : decatur ILL or Shipshewanna MI

bruce381
08-07-2011, 01:59 AM
I will be in Chicago next weekend and of the 2 shows within driving distance which one is bigger and has more C+R or reloading stuff? I'd hate to drive
a couple hours to walk threw the show in 10 minutes.

Does anyone know the area which drive would be nicer like scenery, food stops etc.
thanks
Bruce

Bad Water Bill
08-07-2011, 04:42 AM
I have never attended either show. However you will have to go to Indiana to find Shipshewanna. It is about 2 1/2 hours from downtown Chicago.

I have heard good things about Shipshewanna for years just never got around to going there. It would definitely be my choice if I had to pick one.

Wots
08-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I never been to either for the gun shows.
Been to Shipshewana several times. Good drive, scenery, Amish style food.
I know one of the shops has a flint lock gun maker along with a cobbler who can fit you out with a nice belt, or if you really have the time, shoes. Lots of Amish textiles in one shop in the "mall"
Think I will check it out myself.

Kraschenbirn
08-07-2011, 11:21 PM
The gunshow in Decatur, IL used to be pretty decent but has declined (along with with Decatur's economy) over the past few years. So far as I know, outside of pawnshops, there's not even a retail gun dealer in Macon County, anymore. Just FYI, you're looking a 3-3 1/2 hour driving time from downtown Chicago to Decatur.

Bill

bruce381
08-07-2011, 11:29 PM
thankls to all yeah i know its a drive but I got a day to kill and a rental car maybe Ill make the trip to indiana

Bad Water Bill
08-08-2011, 12:01 AM
If you go to Indiana you will pass Cabelas and Bass pro shop on your way. Not a lot at Bass for reloading but you can spend hours at Cabelas.

Don't ask me how I know.

badgeredd
08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I will be in Chicago next weekend and of the 2 shows within driving distance which one is bigger and has more C+R or reloading stuff? I'd hate to drive
a couple hours to walk threw the show in 10 minutes.

Does anyone know the area which drive would be nicer like scenery, food stops etc.
thanks
Bruce

The Shipshewanna IN Show is one of three I try to never miss in my area. Usually has a lot of older guns and one usually finds a deal or three on reloading/casting stuff. Also Indiana gun laws aren't quite so restrictive as IL are. My 2 pennies worth....

Edd

bruce381
08-08-2011, 08:38 PM
sounds good to me but what kinda food is Amish food?

Wots
08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Basic meat an potatoes served family style.
These guys........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

Ed Barrett
08-11-2011, 01:35 AM
I used to go to the horse auctions at "Shipsy" 40 years ago. The meat sandwiches with jelly were good once you got used to them. The sweet and sour red cabbage was the best I ever had. Any of the pies were always excellent.