PDA

View Full Version : Loads for 380/200?

Phil
01-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Anyone loading for the 380/200 (38 S&W with a 200 grain bullet) for either a Webley or S&W revolver? I need some suitable loads for one.

Thanks,

Phil

9.3X62AL
01-17-2007, 11:29 PM
I can't locate my copy of an article by Ken Waters from about 1980 that covered this cartridge in detail, dealing specifically with these revolvers and a Ruger Speed-Six chambered for the 38 S&W as loaded for the Royal Hong Kong Police--who used the "380/200" ammunition.

From its text, I gleaned a load that has worked very well in my revolvers, a Webley-Enfield and a S&W M&P Lend-Lease model. That load is 3.0 grains of Unique, with the boolit (Lyman #358430, Bealged out to about .362") seated at the same length the boolit would take up in a 38 Special case. These shoot where the sights look at 25 yards. I also ran some samples of NEI #169A through the revolvers using this same load, and it also shot where the sights directed. The #169A duplicates the British service bullet in 38 S&W pretty closely, and weighs ~180 grains or so.

Kind of strange, this--the Lyman #358430 (195 grain RN) is longer than the cassing it goes into--the Lyman is .810" long, while the case is .775" long.

Phil
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM
Thank you very much Deputy Al! That's just what I was looking for. I appreciate the time you took to look it up for me.

Cheers,

Phil

9.3X62AL
01-19-2007, 11:12 AM
My pleasure, Phil.

Recalling the text from the article, Mr. Waters felt that the S&W M&P and the Ruger Speed-Six were certainly able to contain standard pressure 38 Special loadings when so chambered, and used that strength guideline during his load development--essentially loading the 38 S&W as if it was a 38 Special, using similar overall lengths of seated bullets between the two calibers and powder weights from the 38 Special data. This produced (gee, big surprise......) velocities like that of the 38 Special--155-160 grain boolits at around 800 FPS, the 200 grainers at about 700 FPS or so. This infers 38 Special pressures, I suppose. In the S&W K-frame and Webley revolvers, the 38 S&W can apparently be treated like the 38 Special--in a J-frame S&W or D-frame Colt, or ANY small top-break, I would stick to the more docile 1870's pressure levels. That might be over-cautious with the Smiths or Colts, but surely isn't with most pocket top-breaks.

I used Mr. Waters' guidelines with the #358430, and success was had. Accuracy was decent, and if I could get about .002" more diameter out of the mold--it might improve some. The NEI #169A was better, and I will be getting one of these molds from NEI this coming month. It's a kind of strange design, but "whatever works" is my bottom line.

Phil
01-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Thank you again Deputy Al,

Guess I'm going to have to break down and get Mr. Waters book(s). I did have a very interesting phone conversation with him some years ago. A very enjoyable hour or so.

I have several feelers out for an Enfield DAO 380/200, hopefully one will be showing up here soon. Of course, then there are all the S&W Victory models that we used to turn down for $15/20 back in the fifties that are now several hundred bucks! Sigh, ain't hindsight great?

Cheers,

Phil

9.3X62AL
01-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Buckshot and I have played around with these revolvers quite a bit for the last couple years. I did OK on my two examples, didn't get victimized too badly. The real trick is to find a mold that will produce boolits fat enough for your throats.

I just looked into my ammo locker in the garage.......I probably have 500 rounds in this caliber loaded up! SHEESH!