PDA

View Full Version : zouave

bart55
08-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Just bought an old navy arms zouave, I have all the stuff to shoot it but no musket caps, and it seems that no one has them ,dixie has rws but will not ship them . in store only . Can I replace the nipple and use a number 11 , and again what type of nipple should I get . I am new to percussion ,have hunted for years with a flint ignition rifle but never had a caplock .

Nobade
08-05-2011, 08:15 AM
Treso does make nipples that should fit and take #11 caps. Get a really good measurement of the threads and check Track of the Wolf's web site. They have lots of them, but not quite every one. Good place to start though.

I wanted to do the same thing with my Miroku '63, but couldn't find a nipple with the right threads. So I ordered 1000 musket caps from Powder Valley along with a bigger powder order and use them.

Fly
08-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Yea NoBlade is right on.Track of the wolf has anything you need.You might give them a
call & they can help you.There really good folks to deal with.

Fly

Tatume
08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Once I had the idea that I wanted to replace the no. 11 nipple on my T/C Renegade with a musket nipple. When I did, I found that the taller musket nipple required bending of the hammer in order to strike the caps squarely. It was an unsatisfactory arrangement.

Try these guys for musket caps. You will need to leave a message when you call, as the lady is very busy. But, she will call you back. http://www.blackpowderva.com/

Take care, Tom

Hellgate
08-06-2011, 01:12 AM
The Zouaves used to come with a spare smaller cap size nipple. Take a look inside the patch box on the butt stock and you may find a replacement nipple for the smaller caps. My Navy Arms Zoli Zouave (bought new probably 1969) still has it screwed into the wood of the patch box cutout.

bart55
08-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Well I did locate some musket caps ,looked in the patch box and of course it was empty. I am going to check the threads out and get a replacement so I can use the number 11 as it is just easier to get . thanks all for the input

mooman76
08-07-2011, 12:07 AM
I think I will look for a new nipple too. I have an old original squirrel rifle. When I got it the nipple was missing. I managed to get a nipple on there but the thread wasn't right and the best I could tell it was a pretty coarse thread so I think it was originally a musket nipple. I thought about replacing the drum and am still thinking about it but I am trying to keep it original as possible.

waksupi
08-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Well I did locate some musket caps ,looked in the patch box and of course it was empty. I am going to check the threads out and get a replacement so I can use the number 11 as it is just easier to get . thanks all for the input

A patchbox is an ingenious device installed on some firearms, to facilitate the loss of small items you will wish you had at some point.

2152hq
08-07-2011, 05:30 AM
My Zouave (made by Zoli) came to me w/o a nipple in it at all. I put an 'Ampco' (sp?) bronze replacement for the #11 cap in it and have never had any problems with it.
Never any misfires and have used all types of caps from new CCI to old gun show buys.
Sure are cheaper than musket size.

The threads were 5/16 x 18 (US threads) in mine. Use a thread gauge to measure. I bought a replacement when I was at Dixons last summer.
I had to run a plug tap into the breech to clean it out before it would seat easily. But the rifle had seen some play time with the kiddies before I got it so there was in the least some crud packed in there.

Shoots best with .570 RB and 60gr FFG. Very thin patch from old worn out flannel shirt.

missionary5155
08-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Good morning
My Navy Zouave came with the #11 nipple installed and I did not change a thing. Bought mine used in 82 I think.
Best hunting load I have used is 85 grains 2F with a .570 Rb & and linen patch. Will shoot through 2 does (1st through the spine & 2nd through ribs lungs) at 35 yards. Does were 5 feet apart facing same direction. Never lost a deer with this combination.
Mike in Peru

08-07-2011, 09:01 AM
bart55,
Can't add much to what's been posted. I changed out the nipple on my Zouave from musket to #11 and have not looked back. The flash hole in the original musket nipple on mine was huge which caused a comparable, huge amount of flash outside the gun. The modern #11 nipple I use now with the very small flash hole solved that problem. Works better for me and causes less destruction to the original finish on the gun.