PDA

View Full Version : Nose outa round

RU shooter
01-17-2007, 08:14 PM
Is a slightly ovaled nose on my Lee 185-312-1R be anything to be all worked up over? I finally got it to cast good and filled out nice but messing around with the calipers at the nose i see that on the part line its .299 and 90 degree's to that its .301 which engraves perfectly on my M39 can I fix this some how or just let it ride and go shoot'em.....................................RU

grumpy one
01-17-2007, 08:33 PM
I guess the definitive answer needs to come from Oldfeller, but I've found I can reduce ovality by further lapping. However you only use further lapping if you want to make the bullet bigger, which you don't. To reduce ovality without enlarging the mould would require distorting it by squeezing enough to cause a permanent set. Seems like the kind of thing a serious craftsman does, and I don't do.

jhalcott
01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Shoot a few and see how bad (or good) they work. 3 or 4 3 shot groups can save a lot of work.

Sundogg1911
01-17-2007, 10:49 PM
i'd go shoot a few. I've spent a lot of time trying to fix non-existing problems

44man
01-18-2007, 12:56 AM
That is a common thing with almost every mold. Everyone of them will shoot great until someone measures them, then all of a sudden, the boolit is bad. Don't let it work on your head which is a lot worse condition then the boolit is. I have yet to see a perfect cast boolit.

cherok9878
01-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I agree with 44man. I am fairly new to casting and found out rather quickly I could never produce a perfect boolit. Visual check, Pretty pile, ugly pile, remelt pile. The ugly pile shoots as well as the pretty pile. For me this is FUN not rocket sience ..................larry