PDA

View Full Version : Adding holes to size / lube die

No_1
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
"ANeat" posted the following in another thread ( http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=12380 ) : "A lot of bullets will have a different center to center dimension on the lube groove spacing. If you have multiple lube grooves the die will need to match that. If the lube grooves on your bullet are .200 apart you wont want a die where the holes are only .100 apart.

When possible I try to get molds with only one lube groove. In 45acp for example I have everything from a 185 swc to a 230gr tc and all have one lube groove. Luckily the dimension from the bullet base to the lube groove is close enough on all of them that I can lube/size them with no die changes or adjustment.:-D "

This got me thinking, I figured that the holes that are there lube all the grooves in a bullet as long as the grooves pass the holes BUT would it benefit adding holes to a die? Having a pretty good machinist background (20+ years) I see it as something easy to do. Give me your thoughts.

Robert

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I usually spec all my star dies out with 5 rows of holes. You can allways plug the ones your not using