PDA

View Full Version : heartbroken

twotoescharlie
01-17-2007, 05:50 PM
buried my best friend and constant companion this morning. Miss Heidi, my pit bull
had her eleven years next Tuesday. we have never been apart since I got her as a puppy. sure does hurt.

TTC

NVcurmudgeon
01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
My heartfelt sympathies, Charlie. A good dog is family. Our cockapoo will be 15 Valentine's day, Lord willing. He has several hitches in his get-along, but we help him out. We just enjoy each day with him, as long as he isn't hurting.

castalott
01-17-2007, 06:09 PM
I know how you feel.....My 2 best ones were Pooch and Jughead.....still miss them after years...

kenjuudo
01-17-2007, 07:32 PM
There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your hearts to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie -
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk you heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years that nature permits,
Are closing in asthma, or tumor, or fits,
And the Vet's unspoken prescription runs
to lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair
But - you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent
At compound interest of cent per cent,
For when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

When the body that lived at your single will,
When the whimper of welcome is stilled
(HOW STILL!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You soon discover how much you care,
And give your heart to a NEW dog to tear.

RUDYARD KIPLING

Topper
01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Very sorry to here about the loss of your companion TTC.

shooter2
01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. We had to put down our 16 YO Springer a few years ago and I still think of her every day. A true friend. I can relate.

We adopted a five year old male Springer from ESRA and he is a jewel. Handsome, playful and smart. He has certainly helped fill the void.

Bigjohn
01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
twotoescharlie
So sorry to hear of your loss, as kenjuudo posted 'you do give your heart to them and they seem to go too soon.

Even now, I realise what I will go through when my companion passes on.

John.

krag35
01-17-2007, 09:21 PM
I am truly sorry. I have had to bury to many good canine friends. Mear words do not suffice.

waksupi
01-17-2007, 09:47 PM
My symathy. A few weeks ago, we lost our mascot at work, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dory, that we all loved. and a co-worker today told me he has to put his old bitch down tomorrow.
All in all, I like dogs better than people. They are family and friend, that always stand by you.

waksupi
01-17-2007, 09:47 PM
My sympathy. A few weeks ago, we lost our mascot at work, a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Dory, that we all loved. and a co-worker today told me he has to put his old bitch down tomorrow.
All in all, I like dogs better than people. They are family and friend, that always stand by you.

versifier
01-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Dogs were put on this earth to teach us the value of unconditional love. Sometimes they succeed. When they don't, it's no fault of theirs that humans can't learn by good example. All of the most important lessons in life have been taught to me by my dogs. (The rolling in **** bit I can pass on, though, but the rest makes everything worthwhile.)

BruceB
01-17-2007, 11:58 PM
I don't recall the source of this quote, perhaps Will Rogers?

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, when I die I want to go where they go."

Too many times, I've had to go through the same thing.

Dogs bring us too much in the course of their short lives, for us to do without their companionship...even knowing that we will outlive them.

9.3X62AL
01-18-2007, 01:03 AM
My sincere condolences at the loss of your family member and friend. I sure love 'em, too.

357maximum
01-18-2007, 02:34 AM
There simply are no words to make you feel better... I have and always will be a lover of dogs, and when one goes there is never enough words to make the painful sting of a lost fourlegged loved one go away...time will make it better, but it never heals completely..

My condolences on your loss, chin up, chin up.

It hurts me to see a fellow in your shoes as I have been there and will be again, and it simply hurts...everytime...some are worse pains than others, but they all just simply hurt a man...especially when they need assistance in leaving....It is something those that have never been loved by or felt love for a dog would ever even begin to understand..

Jetwrench
01-18-2007, 03:29 AM
I have lost 2 true friends in my life, as you describe. Another is sure to follow soon, as she is 11 and in failing health. You will never be able to replace old friends, but you can make new ones, and thus we heal. Personaly I favor a female Rottwieler. No shortage of loyalty there,and not mean like there rep seems to imply. I miss my friends, wish people were like dogs. Sorry for your loss. JETWRENCH

Frank46
01-18-2007, 05:15 AM
We had to have our 15year plus old cairn terrier to sleep. That little dog when we said goodbye tore my heart out. She had been a faithful dog right up until the end. So we've been without a dog since that happened. You get so dammed attached to them and when they go its even worse. Hopefully soon we'll have another as its getting kind of lonely here without her. You have my deepest condolences sir. Frank

Boz330
01-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Sir, you have my sympathy. I had to have one put down several years back and it broke my heart. Then her successer was killed on her 1st birthday. I've had dogs since I was 4 years old and can't imagine not having one around. No matter how bad my day has been I can't help but being lifted up when I get home to that kind of enthusiasm and love.

Bob

twotoescharlie
01-18-2007, 09:46 AM
I would like to thank everyone for their kind notes of sympathy for Heidi and myself, it really helps to ease the pain. I think it is going take a while to get over this one and at my age I am really concerned about getting another animal.
I just feel like if something happens to myself, someone else would not give the care and love to it like I would.
you are a great bunch of people and I feel like I have another family whenever I visit the forum.
once again I would like thank all of you,

regards

Robert Mills aka TTC

TDB9901
01-18-2007, 05:25 PM
There is a bridge connecting Heaven & Earth. It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of it's many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place. There is always food and water and warm spring weather. The old and frail animals are young again. The maimed are made whole again. They play all day with each other.

There is only one thing missing. They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth. So, each day they run and play until the day comes when one suddenly stops playing and looks up! The nose twiches! The ears are up! The eyes are staring! And this one suddenly runs from the group.

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again and again, and once more you look into the eyes of your trusting pet.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together....NEVER AGAIN TO BE SEPARATED!!

felix
01-18-2007, 06:10 PM
My (last) dog passed away about 3 months after I got out of the hospital for the last time. It was as if the dog knew to pass away only after my final return, as I have been away for a month at a time, seperated by 3 months in-between, for 4 times in a row. It was difficult. However, my hope is that when I meet the Boss I won't feel the need for a lesser form of life, even though sometimes I feel that particular lesser life was on par with mine. ... felix

Murphy
01-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Truly sorry to hear of your loss Robert. I still miss my last one from over a year now.

I work for a local water department and I'm in and out of 100's of yards a month. I believe I know more dogs by name than the local vet. Sometimes a month will pass before I get to revisit a dog during meter reading time. I always take the time to stop and pet on em'. Even after a full month of not seeing me, they light up like they can't wait to get petted. Do I ever love em'.

They truly are man's best friend.

Murphy

Navahojoe
01-19-2007, 12:09 AM
Robert,
Others have said it far better than a simple country boy can say it. I will try to keep it simple, for my sake. I FEEL YOUR PAIN! I am sitting here crying while I read about you family. I, two, am a dog lover. I have been owned by several in my life. Currently I own or am owned by three, one a female Cocker, 12 years old and in frail health. I hesitate to call her a "bitch", although she can be one at times. After three different wives, I know the term well. One mixed breed male, some would call a "sooner", named "Coal" the best guard dog I have ever been owned by, he guards the sidewalk in front of the house, both sides of the street, among other things. No one goes up or down the street that he doesnt tell his job to. And then there is Reno Blue, a male Pit Bull, his eyes have since changed from blue to yellow. He lets me sleep in whichever part of my bed that he isnt currently using, is my fishing companion, he barks when I catch one, helps me pour boolits, reload ammo, takes me around the block for a walk, and keeps me buying a steady supply of tiedowns for my boat tarp because he is forever chewing them off. If I leave without him, I better bring back some more tiedowns. All of those friends are a joy to be around, and it is a dark, cloudy, rainy day when they are gone to their reward. Remember the good years you have with them, and be thankful that you were "owned" all those years.
regards,
NavahoJoe

Ivantherussian03
01-20-2007, 12:24 AM
I hear you. My dog, Ivan, is going to be 15 next Augest. He has been having decreased kidney function for the 18 last months. Now the arthritis is setting in. We take each day as it comes, and were grateful each day. But he is still happy, and likes the cold weather, and the fresh snow.

It will close a chapter on my life. We spent half his life in Alaska. He was there while I hammered out two degrees at school in the lower 48. He was constant, always there, and kept me from being alone. But I can tell the day we part paths will hurt alot.What a gift dogs are!

So I raised him. he spent all years with me. They continue change and evolve. I got married last year--now he is my wife's dog--go figure:roll:

man's best friend

I will always have dogs around. I read on a bumper stick once
"the more people I meet-the more I like my dog."

Baldy
01-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Twotoescharlie you have my heart felt sympathy. I had to put my best friend ever down about two months ago. I had him from a pup. He was a big Black Lab that never left my side. I have seizures and he would stay right there with me and never leave. I know when I cross over Bongo will be there. I loved that old dog and he loved me.

fiberoptik
01-20-2007, 03:01 AM
Sorry bout the loss. I've been there many a time myself. I still get a little wet-eyed over a pet rat I had, not to mention a few dogs, cats, etc. I believe that when I get to heaven, my pets will be waiting for me as well.
God Bless.
Scott

nelson133
01-20-2007, 09:02 AM
You have my deepest sympathy. The tragedy of having dogs is that we know when we get them we will probably out live them.