PDA

View Full Version : What does COL mean?

Char-Gar
08-04-2011, 11:28 AM
I see many,many posts where folks struggle and anguish over COL. From the context, I gather it has something to do with bullet seating depth, but more specific notion is unknown to me. I am wondering if I have missed something doing this so long without any COL issues. What is it?

winelover
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Cartridge Overall Length

Winelover

Larry Gibson
08-04-2011, 11:36 AM
COL =Cartridge Overall Length

That refers to the overall length of a loaded cartridge.

OAL = Over All Length

Sometimes the same as COL but can also refer to bullet length or case length. Also can refer to over all length of a rifle, shotgun or handgun for legality reasons or portability.

Larry Gibson

UtopiaTexasG19
08-04-2011, 01:12 PM
So it is more important to have the correct COL than to match the crimping ring cast into the bullet by a casting mold or by a manufacturer?

Swede44mag
08-04-2011, 01:16 PM
COL=Cost of Living
Sorry couldn't resist. :-(

Iron Mike Golf
08-04-2011, 01:21 PM
So it is more important to have the correct COL than to match the crimping ring cast into the bullet by a casting mold or by a manufacturer?

If you are talking cast bullets for a revolver and high pressure, heavy recoiling loads, you want to crimp into the crimping groove. THe bullet should be designed so that doing so does not result in a COL that is too long for the cylinder and a bullet seating that compresses the majority of charge weights.

If you are talking about auto pistols, then you do not crimp into a crimp groove. The max COL is your guide for what will fit into the magazine. Variances in bullet design, magazine and feed ramp design may make you have to adjust the COL down to ensure proper function of the pistol.

COL is a guideline for the most part and some adjustments are often necessary to get proper function or desired accuracy. Adjustsments on the order of a few thousandths. Sometimes, though, you do need to go with a bigger adjustment to make things work. Care is needed then if you are seating deeper, as that will increase chamber pressure. That's a good reason to start at minimum and work up.

Char-Gar
08-04-2011, 01:45 PM
OK... OAL I undestand. Sometime it was changed to COL and I didn't get the memo.

metweezer
08-04-2011, 03:45 PM
You might even run across COAL. Cartridge Over All Length.

Rocky Raab
08-04-2011, 03:52 PM
In the context of this forum - Cleaning Out Leading.

(Kidding. Cartridge Overall Length.)

W.R.Buchanan
08-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Or it could be "Cleaning out Liberals !" as in the context of 11/6/2012

Randy