PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Sizing 44 Brass

Mal Paso
08-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Last Weekend a buddy gave me a handful of 44 brass that was mixed in with some 45 brass he had picked up. Must have been some Hot Loads as it took some muscle to size but one case wouldn't size at all. Checked the mouth, no, I hadn't dinged the edge, tried again, nope. Then I looked close and measured. The outside at the bulge is .006 smaller than a 45 Colt chamber. Anybody have a Sizing Die for 44 Mag Shot in a 45 Colt?:kidding:

DukeInFlorida
08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Toss it and move on. My 2 centavos worth.

W.R.Buchanan
08-03-2011, 04:11 PM
If you ran those thru a .45ACP die first then lubed them thouroughly, you might get them thru a .44 carbide die. Also a .308 die would choke the size down a little so they might go thru a .44 carbide die.

I always lube my .44 cases with Dillion case lube before I size them in a Carbide die. I know it doesn't need to be done, but it still makes things go much easier.

The other steps are worth a try as if you can get them small enough they will fireform again to the .44 chamber. I still wouldn't use them for full power loads , just for plinkers.

The other option is to introduce them to your scrap bin.

Randy

Blammer
08-03-2011, 04:40 PM
that's a piece of brass not worth saving. IMO, scrap heap bound if it were me.

08-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I might try as Mr. Buchanan suggested, if only for the experience, but the junk brass can is where it would end up.

Wally
08-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Last Weekend a buddy gave me a handful of 44 brass that was mixed in with some 45 brass he had picked up. Must have been some Hot Loads as it took some muscle to size but one case wouldn't size at all. Checked the mouth, no, I hadn't dinged the edge, tried again, nope. Then I looked close and measured. The outside at the bulge is .006 smaller than a 45 Colt chamber. Anybody have a Sizing Die for 44 Mag Shot in a 45 Colt?

Try a .444 Marlin sizer die first ...then resize with a .44 Mag die--however probably a good idea not to reload it...

Kraschenbirn
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
I've keep a 5-gallon bucket under my work bench for cases like that...along with range pick-ups and other junk...and, every fall, whatever I've accumulated goes to the recycler where it's swapped for lead scrap or WWs.

Bill

mold maker
08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Since it's a single case, clean it and save as, a warning to double check at every step.

mooman76
08-03-2011, 05:33 PM
I save brass like that as a reminder of what can happen. I picked up some 9mm once, fired in a 40. It happens and in some cases the new combo don't work out at it can damage the gun or worse.

Mal Paso
08-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I should have put a :kidding:at the end of my post. I was just trying to put a smile on someones face like I got when I really looked at that case.

GRUMPA
08-03-2011, 07:09 PM
If I got something like that it would go up in my cabinet of things that are odd. You can be sure I wouldn't even want to use it.

fatelk
08-03-2011, 08:22 PM
It's amazing, the things people do. Somewhere I have a .303 Savage shell obviously fired in a .303 British chamber, and an 8mm fired in an '06 chamber. That's the first time I've seen a .44 fired in a .45, though I'm sure not the first time it's happened. Fortunately the smaller bullet would just pass through the larger bore and not build up enough pressure to damage anything. The shooter probably wonder where their accuracy went, though.

williamwaco
08-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I have seen that before. It was caused by firing .44 cartridges in a .45 colt.

Toss it ( all of them ) do NOT resize them. If you succeed in getting them loaded, they will most likely split at the place where the bulge was resized.

I once had a MAC 10 .45ACP that bulged every case like that. Reloading them proved to be a very troublesome but valuable lesson.

blikseme300
08-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I have both a .40S&W and a 9mmP Stoeger Cougar. The clips are interchangeable except that chambering and firing a 9mmP in the .40 was interesting. The boolit hit the ground about 20 yards from me and woke me up quick. No damage to the pistol but it was a rude awakening to pay attention to details. The empty shell with a pot-belly sits on my reloading bench as a reminder.

Bliksem

oscarflytyer
08-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Littler ones fired in bigger chambers don't impress me much. However, when I hear of a (making these up for emphasis) .280 fired in a .270, or the likes, where the case WILL fit inside the chamber, but the bullet is WAY big for the bbl, and the bullet gets fire-swaged a BUNCH and the gun doesn't explode - THEN I am impressed... :holysheep