PDA

View Full Version : Weight of cast bullets after casting?

sig2009
08-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Hey guys. Probably a stupid question but after casting some 200gn lswc with Lyman #452460 they all weigh in at around 212 gns. I am using only using scrap range lead. Is this normal?

243winxb
08-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes its normal when you have a lot of pure lead in the alloy. http://www.redding-reloading.com/online-catalog/88-bullet-moulds-charts

Bullet Sizes & Weights – How to Vary Them
The bullet diameters and weights presented in this list are based on the use of Taracorp’s Lawrence Magnum bullet alloy (2% tin, 6% antimony, 1/4% arsenic, 91.75% lead).

Bullet diameters and weights will vary considerably depending on the lead casting alloy used. This variation can be as much as 1/2% on the diameter, and 8% on the weight among the most commonly used casting alloys. For example, a .358-158 grain bullet might show a diameter variation of .002", and a 13 grain difference in weight.

Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5% tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with such bullets running approximately 1/3% smaller in diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with Taracorp's metal. Linotype will produce bullets with the largest diameter and lightest weights. This alloy will produce bullets approximately 1/10% larger and 3% lighter than Taracorp. Other alloys of tin and antimony, with antimony content above 5%, will produce bullets with diameters and weights falling between those cast f rom wheel weights and linotype.

Alloys containing little or no antimony will cast considerably smaller than wheel weights and in some cases will produce bullets too small for adequate sizing.

Within the limitations given above, the weight and diameter of a cast bullet can be adjusted by varying the
alloy’s antimony content.

The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temperature

Mike W1
08-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Both my 452374 and 452488 have a slight weight difference between cavities and between moulds they're about 10 grains difference. (both are pairs of double cavity moulds) I suspect you'd have to have consecutive cut moulds to get them much closer. Alloy itself will make quite a difference in weights.

odfairfaxsub
08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
its funny how the bullet weights are affected by the type of lead we use. i have lee bullet molds like 228-452 style and with half and half ww and pure the weight is 220-222 gr. the 9mm 124 types weigh more than what lee advertises them for. what gives?

243winxb
08-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Lee's weight is based on 10-1 lead/ tin. Lyman is based on there #2 alloy.

sig2009
08-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys.

cbrick
08-03-2011, 11:38 PM
243winxb is correct but he should have mentioned sizing diameters also.

If you size with a .453" die and and your "micrometer" (not your caliper) tells you your sized bullets are say .4524" don't call the die maker and complain, alloy effects sized diameter as well. Change alloys, cast with the same mold and size with the same die and they may well be .4533".

Rick

Char-Gar
08-04-2011, 11:21 AM
If you ever have a mold that cast bullets the same weight as the advertised weight, either turn back flips with joy or get rid of the darn thing as it is hexed.

myg30
08-05-2011, 08:19 AM
There are lots of guys that lube and shoot em right out of the mold, guess mostly with the tumble lube type.
You can pull your hair out or just enjoy casting n shootin.

Mike

Shiloh
08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Mine run heavy.

Shiloh

Echo
08-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Advertised weights are purely nominal, even though they were arrived at intentionally; i.e. Lyman's use of #2 &cetera. That was in the original design, and not to bust Lyman's chops too much, new cherries, or re-sharpening of older cherries, will definitely change the dimensions of the mold cavity. No drama - jsut cast & shoot, and don't get anal about actual weight.

BAGTIC
08-06-2011, 12:25 AM
I cast only WW and they consistently run heavier than advertised weights, often 9-10%. I shoot all as cast, unsized. As long as you start loads low and gradually work up there should not be any pressure problems. Every gun, every bullet, every powder, every load shoots differently anyway. Handloading makes it possible to fit the ammo to the gun.

pdawg_shooter
08-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I don't think I have a single mold that drops advertised weight. So do I fret about it? No. I just work up loads for that bullet weight.

phaessler
08-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't think I have a single mold that drops advertised weight. So do I fret about it? No. I just work up loads for that bullet weight.

Same here, have yet to have any throw at the advertised weight.

Pete