PDA

View Full Version : More or less filler?

nagantino
08-02-2011, 09:09 AM
I posted before regarding the use of BL-C{2} powder for use in a 1916 SMLE and firing a cast boolit from Lee 185 grain mold. I have enjoyed the casting, sizing and hand-lubing bit. I gas check also. The results have not been fun though. Iron sights and age are factors and only being able to get to a range once a month don't help.

My question regards How Much Filler to use. I have been using 29grns then 30 grns and have been gradually using more powder and and more filler. After a lot of reading, many shooters are using less powder and more filler than me it seems but of course getting data on BL-C2 is difficult. I had to buy it as it was the only one available.

Anyone else using this powder in SMLE ?

Any rule of thumb for the ratio of filler to powder?

Kraschenbirn
08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
The primary function of any filler is to maintain the position of the powder charge inside the case. In my experience, it's best to use only enough to adequately "fill" the space between the powder and the base of the boolit...without compressing the powder charge. So far as I'm aware, there's no fixed powder/filler ratio...just use enough to get the job done.

Hodgdon Load Data for the .303 Brit. provides a starting load of 41.0 gr. BL-(C)2 with a 180 gr. jacketed SP so, using the 80% guideline for cast boolits, your 29-30 gr. should be in the ballpark. I shoot that same Lee boolit in a #1Mk4 (Longbranch) over 31.0 gr H4895 and just enough dacron fiber to fill the charged case to the bottom of the case neck. Velocities run 2020 fps (avg of 10-shot string) and accuracy is about the same as ball ammo or, if I'm having a good day, slightly better.

Bill

Larry Gibson
08-02-2011, 10:43 AM
What filler?

Larry Gibson

nagantino
08-02-2011, 01:33 PM
I,m using tapioca as a filler. I feel as if I am getting somewhere with this. I think I will try 31 Grns of BL-C2 with just a little more filler and go from there. The whole idea was to prevent further pounding to the rifle by switching to a cast boolit with reduced powder. I,m slowly getting to an acceptable pattern on the target. Many thanks to all.

Kraschenbirn
08-02-2011, 03:29 PM
I,m using tapioca as a filler. I feel as if I am getting somewhere with this.

Suggestion: Return the tapioca to your pantry and obtain some plain, ol' dacron fiberfill or some natural kapok fiber...the fluffy stuff used for pillows or soft toys. Tear off a pinch of the stuffing material, roll it into a loose ball, and - using a pair of tweezers - push it down into the case on top the powder charge. Wait a few seconds for the compressed dacron to expand, then check to see how much of the case has been filled. If you're up to the bottom of the case neck, go ahead and seat the boolit. If there appears to be space between the expanded dacron and the bottom of the case neck, add more dacron until the case is filled.

Over the years, I've tried all kinds of filler materials...Cream of Wheat, Instant Grits, polyethylene shot buffer, etc...but have found nothing that yielded as consistent results as dacron or kapok.

Bill

williamwaco
08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Suggestion: Return the tapioca to your pantry and obtain some plain, ol' dacron fiberfill or some natural kapok fiber...the fluffy stuff used for pillows or soft toys.

Bill

Completely agree. But I use much less filler. I find that in a case with a head diameter similar to the 30-06 a tuft that weighs .7 grain works perfectly.

That sounds rediculous to attempt to weigh these tufts of filler. I don't weigh them. Just practice pinching them off and weighing the tufts. after ten or twelve pinches, you will reliably be able to produce tufts that weigh .7 to 1.0 grains.

A word of experience.

DO NOT SHOOT THESE INTO THE WIND.

The result will be moderately unpleasant.

303Guy
08-02-2011, 05:25 PM
There is a sticky on boolit base damage/cupping and it seems that harder fillers contribute to damaging the boolit base. They can also protect the base. I've tried grits and it really imbeds in the base. Polyester filler seems to be the most neutral. Cotton wool works OK but I have managed to start a fire with it (smolder actually). My favourite is wheat bran in the Brit but I've found that too much as in a small powder charge topped with the stuff is counter productive. High density fillers do raise chamber pressure quite considerably.

Larry Gibson
08-02-2011, 09:58 PM
+1 on the dacron.

Larry Gibson

geargnasher
08-02-2011, 11:11 PM
I love tapioca flour, especially when made into those tiny little translucent pellets that make such outstanding pudding. However, I have a rule based on experience: Keep boolit stuff in the gun room and eating stuff in the kitchen, where it belongs.

Trust Krashinbirn and Larry on the Dacron.

Gear

1Shirt
08-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Go with Dacron. However, use is as a minimal fill, and not compressed. Use enough to hold the pdr in place on the bottom and touching the base of the blt on the top with minimal compression and you will probably have your best luck accuracy wise in my experiance.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

MikeS
08-13-2011, 08:23 AM
I read something on another website (can't remember where) about using a shotgun buffer called PSB that's a proprietary plastic blend (which just means the company won't say what it is) that supposedly works great, and supposedly when using it, you don't need to use gas checks, as the filler does basically the same job (protecting the boolit base), and leaves the bore cleaner as well. Is there any validity to these claims, or is it just another snake oil?

Cap'n Morgan
08-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Here's a copy of an interesting article in "The Double Gun Journal" by Sherman Bell on fillers and pressure:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/3971092851

35remington
08-13-2011, 06:26 PM
While granulated plastic buffer is wonderful stuff, it will not allow, across the board, the velocity with accuracy that a gascheck will. It is not a substitute, but it is very useful.

BOOM BOOM
08-13-2011, 10:48 PM
HI,
I have shot 1,000's of /06 w/ Dacron fiber fillers, no problem. About 1/2 gr. works for me.
I will also work with plain-base boolits & allow you to achieve higher velocities.
It will also act to scrub the barrel.
I have read that with bigger capacity cases (45/70 & up) some are using larger amounts of filler.:Fire::Fire:

w30wcf
08-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Cap'n,
Thank you for that link. Very interesting data. I would have thought that the case filling material Puff-Lon would have generated much higher pressures than the over powder wad due to the reduction in case capacity.....but it didn't which was a surprise.

w30wcf

zomby woof
08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Dacron

cajun shooter
08-14-2011, 11:26 AM
I have seen and read several articles about using different types of fillers in many different cartridges for different reasons. I read where one guy said that he was having problems with ignition now that he was using grits for a filler. They used quite a bit of space to figure that one out.
My thoughts got the best of me and I decided to use some good Louisiana yellow grits for my testing. The ammo would be 44-40 with 2F Goex and Diamond Black Powder which are normally loaded just shy of the case rim or 35 grains.
This would be for those pards and their wives who want to shoot the 44-40 but with less recoil for faster shooting.
It seems that all the postings I have read, the loader adds powder and then adds the filler on top with nothing in between. I think a wad would work better and one that was made out of hat felt that was about 1/8 inch thick.
I loaded 50 rounds of 44-40 with 25 grains of 2F powder and then put the felt wad on top of the powder. I then used a Lee dipper that held enough grits to be just below the rim of the case. I then seated and crimped in separate stages to receive some very nice looking rounds. This ammo worked great and while I left my CED at the house they felt almost like lite 44 special rounds. The guns shot very clean and clean up was very easy. A little more work but the end result was worth it.