PDA

View Full Version : finally slugged my bore

Zoranno
08-02-2011, 01:57 AM
G'day all

I finally slugged the bore in my Winchester 94 BB .375, I didn't have any pure lead so I loaded one of the cast bullets from Ranchdogs TLC379-235-RF that dropped from the mold at .380 with wheel weights. I loaded 1 grain of trailboss which only propelled the projectile an inch up the barrel. I then pushed it back with my cleaning rod and it slugged at .378.

I then loaded 4 grains of trailboss and fired into a wad of towels, after retreiving the projectile from the towels it slugged at .376, can you believe that, it seems my barrel tapers from .378 at the throat to .376 at the muzzle, i'm certainly no expert but no wonder the rifle hasn't been shooting all that well.

Has anyone else had this problem with there rifle?

I'm now at a loss to what size I should size my projectiles, probably .378, any suggestions?

Thanks, Regards Jason

btroj
08-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Actually a tapered bore like that can be a very good thing. Problem is that you don't know that you have a tapered bore. You know that the first inch or so is .378. You know that somewhere between there and the muzzle it is .376 but that is NOT necessarily at the muzzle. You could have a tight spot somewhere along the barrel, or a few of them. Sight dovetails, forearm hangers, roll arming on the barrel all are prime places for a right spot.
I would say you have a candidate for some fire lapping. Start with soft .380 bullets rolled in 320 grit. Fire 10 or so with the 4 gr of Trailboss load, clean, then re slug and see what you get. Better yet, use a hammer to start the slug at the muzzle then use a stiff cleaning rod to push the lightlly lubed slug thru the barrel. This let's you "feel" for tight spots and loose spots.
I bet that even sizing to .379 or .380 for you barrel with no other work it will shoot. Shooting a too small bullet will frequently give poor results. You mint try this first, if it works better then no need for the lapping.

Good luck

Bret4207
08-02-2011, 08:54 AM
You need to push some slugs through with a rod to try and see if you have the tight spots Btroj mentioned.

cbrick
08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Welcome to Castboolits Zoranno,

Your post didn't mention how the rifle shoots or if you’re getting any leading, is there a problem you’re trying to correct or just need to know what size die to use?

Bret is correct; before you do something that will permanently alter the firearm make sure you have the problem you’re trying to correct. If you push a slug through you should be able to feel any tight or loose spots.

Also, push a slug into the muzzle about an inch then back out and measure that.

You also didn't mention what you used to measure your slugs, hopefully a micrometer and not calipers. Calipers are designed or meant to be more accurate than about .001"; a micrometer is called for here.

Since you don't have soft lead you can use fishing weights that are a little too large for the bore, most are usually fairly soft alloy and will make the job much easier.

Rick

Zoranno
08-10-2011, 05:10 AM
G'day all

Thanks for the replies guys.
There is definately a tight spot halfway down the barrel, I pushed the .376 slug through the barrel again, it was very easy until the middle of the barrel.

I'll try sizing to .378/.379 and see how it goes as I've never tried to fire lap, in fact I'd never heard of it before you mentioned it btroj.

Regards, Jason

rbertalotto
08-10-2011, 08:54 AM
What all the others said..........

A tapered bore like that would be a good thing! But I would bet if the gun isn't shooting well with lots of different combinations of boolits and powder, that there is a tight spot.

The boolit starts out at .378, somewhere along the bore it gets compressed down to .376 and then it rattles up the bore for the rest of its journey.

You need to do a "real" bore slugging to be sure what is going on.

runfiverun
08-10-2011, 11:17 AM
i shoot 379 in my 94 b/b.
if you have any issues with accuracy at about 1700 fps then investigate the tight bbl thing.

MtGun44
08-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Let me guess. I bet the tight spot is at the rear sight location or where the info is stamped
on the side of the barrel.

Good diameter, my old 1894 Win made in about 1896 has a groove diam of .3795 and needs
at least .381 or .382 but will barely chamber a .3805.

Bill

stubshaft
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Mine was at the barrel band like my Marlins.