PDA

View Full Version : size ?

xpshooter
01-16-2007, 02:45 PM
I was wondering what size I should size the boolits to after I slug my gun?:-?

NVcurmudgeon
01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
I have laways been successful with .001"-.002" larger than groove diameter. Depending on your alloy, sizing dies may vary. They don't always exactly match the size stamped on them. With my wheelweight plus 2% tin alloy, most, but not all, of my dies size .0005"-.001" oversize.

BABore
01-16-2007, 03:58 PM
The bore slug is only part of it. What kind of gun are you talking about and what bullet?

Wheel guns need to be sized to the throat for top accuracy, assuming of course that the throat is slightly larger than the bore. Rifles may also need bullets sized to fill the throat depending on conditions and the bullet.

Going a thousanths or two over is a good general statement, but it don't end there.

cbrick
01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Fascinating Mr. Curmudgeon. I use WW + 3% tin and most of my Star dies size between a few tenths and a half thousands "under" marked diameter. Makes me wonder about the effect of tin on sizing. hhmmm, more experimenting is in my future. Its already known that alloy composition effects final sized diameter but the tin alone? Interesting.

NVcurmudgeon and BABore are correct, .001" to .002" over bore diameter (rifles & single shots, not revolvers) is a good general starting point. Depending on the particular firearm, pressure & alloy this could be different but experimenting is a good excuse for more range time and shooting.

Rick

mag_01
01-16-2007, 05:10 PM
-Slugging your bore will get you started---say .001or .002 over what you measure-The next step would be to measure the inside of a fired case with a little pressure given to your measurement---this may take you above bore size more than likely and then the proper size boolit may be .001 or .002 or .003 over that---what I'm looking to do is fill the throat and if cases load easy increase in size till they load hard or wont load at all then back off say .0005 or what is needed to fill that chamber Throat with a workable boolit---In many cases I will shoot a boolit .002 larger than bore size and if my results are good for my application I'm happy. If for some reason I cant seem to find a suitable load boolit combination I Will go above mention route to get a better throat fit----consistency in all you do seems to be a big factor in being a happy shooter. When you just sit back and think of all the variables involved (some we may not even be aware off) then we need to give a cheer or a pat on the back to theses individuals who have reached that level of understanding and ability to produce quality boolits---quality loads---and velocity's thought unattainable.----and share there experience with us. We all have a love of casting----guns and shooting.---------Mag

xpshooter
01-19-2007, 01:54 PM
My first attempt at this casting thing will be when I get Catshooters group buy Keith mould for the 44. I will be trying it with win 296 and it will be tried in some Dan Wesson .445 supermags and .44 mags. Any input or suggestions you can think of are very welcome. I have not bought a sizer yet and was leaning to the Star and I was thinking about what size die I will need. Lube recomendations are also welcome.

Thanks Alot!

SharpsShooter
01-19-2007, 02:23 PM
My first attempt at this casting thing will be when I get Catshooters group buy Keith mould for the 44. I will be trying it with win 296 and it will be tried in some Dan Wesson .445 supermags and .44 mags. Any input or suggestions you can think of are very welcome. I have not bought a sizer yet and was leaning to the Star and I was thinking about what size die I will need. Lube recomendations are also welcome.

Thanks Alot!

Slug the cylinder throats of each handgun. Chances are the average will be different enough between guns that you might actually have to size them to a different diameter for each gun. For revolvers, I like .001-.002' larger than the throat average. (slug all six chamber throats and measure. Add the measurements for a total and divide by six for the average.)

As far as lube goes, it is tough to beat Bullshop's or LAR's products for store bought. I have used a good bit of Bullshop's #2 in both rifle and handgun and found it to be very good. LAR's has been given good reviews also and those who reccomend it are smart enough to know what they are talking about. Either is a good choice or you can make your own. There are recipes available here.

SS

piwo
01-19-2007, 03:24 PM
NVcurmudgeon and BABore are correct, .001" to .002" over bore diameter..
Rick

Correct me if I am wrong, but NVcurmedgeon did not say .001" to .002" over bore diameter, he referenced "groove diameter". By definition, “Bore Diameter - Internal diameter of a barrel measured from the tops of diametrically opposed lands (http://www.snipercountry.com/compendium/Comp_L.htm#Lands), i.e. the smallest internal diameter. If the lands are not opposed, the diameter of a circle inscribed to touch the tops of the lands. It is the inside diameter of the barrel before the rifling is cut."

So by saying .001" to .002" over "groove diameter", he is talking about .001 to.002" over the largest diameter in the barrel, not as you indicate, the "bore diameter", which is the smallest diameter in the barrel. With the .001" to .002" over bore diameter measurement may not fill up the entire barrel space, where as using anything over groove diameter will DEFINATELY fill up the space.

I guess the reason I am requesting some "term reconciliation" is because as I am new to this, I too want to make sure I am spending money on equipment, using the correct measurements. I believe we are sizing over "groove diameter" and not "bore diameter".

Is that correct??

cbrick
01-19-2007, 03:53 PM
piwo, no, you are not wrong. Groove diameter is the correct terminology. The idea being to completely seal the bore.

Rick

Bass Ackward
01-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Piwo,

You got it right.

Diameter: Well, let's see. The real truth on diameter ..... is that there is no truth.

Handguns: Depending on your throat configurations, the mix or hardness, the powder speed, or bullet design, I may size .002 over throat diameter, right at throat diameter, or right at bore diameter. But never, and I do mean never, do I go more than .001 under bore diameter. But I do have loads that I shoot this way.

Rifles: Depending on your throat configurations, the mix or hardness, the powder speed, or the bullet design, I may size .002 over groove diameter, .0005 under ball seat diameter, or right at groove diameter. But never, and I do mean never, do I go too much below groove diameter in rifles.

My own "general" rule is that the harder I go, the smaller I go in diameter. But there are times that I violate that too. Is that clear enough? Bottom line is not one thing works under every condition and I size to what I gotta to get the accuracy I want.

piwo
01-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks fellas for the quick responses.

I'm going to slug the bore of a couple Russian rifles I own, and the .311291 group buy is a possibility based on my findings with these rifles, which have varying "grove" diameters. Also, I am looking to reload for my 1911 45ACP and want to make sure whatever I decide on, I'm not using the wrong measurement!

I also understand that in most disciplines, there are terms that are used loosely that everyone understands to mean one thing, even though their technical definition may be something a little different. Just wanted to be sure I understood.

Thanks again! :drinks: